How good are the guitar sounds?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
nr3685
new to this board
new to this board

How good are the guitar sounds?

Post by nr3685 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:45 am

Hello!

I am seriously interested in the HD8/16/CD gadget, but I am still wondering about the guitar sounds when you plug your guitar straight into it.

Do you still use "outboard" equipment for you guitar sounds/effects, or is this unit good enough? If it is, it would certainly save me a lot of money...

With the amp simulation function, it really sounds like it might do the trick, but what do you people who use it think?

Best regards, Lars!
0 x

Ron Paul
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Ron Paul » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:01 pm

I guess that depends on how experience you have with amp modelers.

For me, I've had Line 6 stuff since day one and though think the HD16 guitar sounds are actually pretty good, my problem with them from having experience with Line 6 stuff is the tediousness of adjustments.

No it's not that bad, but I don't like menus and button pushing to adjust my sound, and having a Line 6 amp or modeler with all the necessary controls and knobs right there has been very beneficial in keeping the vibe going.

If stuck without an amp or external modeler, I think the tones in the HD16 are inspiring, just not set-up for easy adjustment.

I love mic'ing my Line 6 spider II amp and think I get good results. I don't even have to mic it, but I prefer that in-your-face amp sound.

You can get Pod 2.0's or pocket pods pretty cheap and you'll have more control and fun.

Cheers
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:02 pm

Every song I recorded from "Daydream" down (prior) was using the cheaper/older Zoom MRS8 sounds. I'm really banking on the HD16 sounds to compare to a the TonePort and I can't wait to compare the two.

If you don't have outboard gear then I'm sure you'll love whatever the Zoom has.
I don't know for sure, but I believe this fellow is using the Zoom sounds on the HD16.

Great question.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:14 pm

It all depends of what your looking for, but I like them.
I also own a line6 toneport but I find the zoom sounds twice as good, which is probably due to the fact that zoom has a long history of making stompboxes etc for guitar and just incorporated that into the HD series.

Look at the following preamp module list and I’m sure you wanna have a taste of this:

FD Clean Clean sound of Fender Twin Reverb ('65 model) favored by guitarists of many music styles.
VX Clean Clean sound of combo amp VOX AC-30 operating in class A.
JC Clean Clean sound of Roland JC series with built-in chorus which gives a broad, clear tone.
HW Clean Clean sound of legendary all-tube Hiwatt Custom 100 from Britain.
UK Blues Crunch sound of 30-watt combo amp Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker.
US Blues Crunch sound of Fender Tweed Deluxe '53.
TweedBass Crunch sound of Fender Bassman, a bass amp with a strong presence.
BG Crunch Crunch sound of Mesa Boogie MkIII combo amp.
MS #1959 Crunch sound of legendary Marshall 1959.
MS Drive High gain sound of Marshall stack amp JCM2000.
Rect Vnt High gain sound of Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier red channel (vintage mode).
HK Drive High gain sound of Hughes & Kettner flagship model Triamp MKII.
DZ Drive High gain sound of the hand-made German guitar amp Diezel Herbert with three separately controllable channels.
ENGL Drive Drive sound of ENGL Ritchie Blackmore Signature 100.
PV Drive High gain sound of Peavey 5150 developed in cooperation with a world-famous hard rock guitarist.
TS+FD CMB Combination of Fender combo amp and Ibanez TS-9 sound.
SD+MS STK Combination of Marshall stack amp and Boss SD-1 sound.
FZ+MS STK Combination of Fuzz Face and Marshall stack amp sound.

And you can adjust Gain, Tone, Cabinet and Level for all of these.
0 x

nr3685
new to this board
new to this board

Post by nr3685 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:00 am

Thanks for your replies!

Ron Paul, thanks for the tip on the somewhat complex small adjustments. Hopefully that won't be a problem, since the major reason for me to buy this thing would be to actually try to create some music and get ideas down as opposed to just fiddling with sounds and wailing away all night!

The list of preamp modules look really impressive, and if it delivers, then it is all I would ever need. That is why I am asking what people that have used it think, and if they are satisfied with only this unit.

Of course miking my own amp is an option I will also use, but we all know there are times you can't crank your amp just to get a riff down!

More opinions, please!

Keep riffing, Lars!

PS: the song Lee refers to is really good. If he indeed used only the HD8/16, then I am almost sold already!
0 x

guitarded_1
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by guitarded_1 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:08 pm

I don't think the sounds are that great, but they work pretty good in the context of a mix. On their own, many of the guitar sounds seem very stiff and digital IMHO. Still, it's a decent option vs. a screaming loud guitar amp.
0 x

taurus
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by taurus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:17 pm

I have a Boss GT-6 and I feel I get a better sound out of the Zooms effects then the Boss........Though it (boss) does sound better through my amp then the zoom sounds straight in.....I was not a fan of zoom guitar effects before but I feel these are pretty decent.
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:44 pm

So I've taken time to tweak the stock distortion options to my liking and I have to say that I really struggled to get a tone I liked. I'm probably spoiled by the TonePort (Line6) tones

For my taste, they all sound too dirty and distorted, and yet, when you back down the gain they lose something. They're just very muddy and don't have any mids to let notes articulate themselves enough to cut through. When you bump the mids they get kind of noisy.

The best tones I've configured required that I turn my guitar's volume way down to keep the hum under control and to allow all the notes to ring through. Someone said they sound digital, and to my ears, they do (compared to the Line6 stuff).

I'll keep trying, but if I can't get what I'm looking for I may be forced to check out the pocket pod option or something else to use with the HD. One thing I do know, I WON'T be mic'ing any amps! :lol:
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:53 pm

Just a quick follow up to the last post.

I spent about a half hour or so last night tweaking and I think I have two decent distortion tones for recording. One is heavier and is good for guitar jock stuff using the bridge pickup, and the other has a more tube warmth that works really great for the middle and neck position pickups.

I'm not sure they're as good as the Line 6 tones, but I'll have a listen later on with fresh ears.
0 x

guitarded_1
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by guitarded_1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:14 pm

Lee wrote:So I've taken time to tweak the stock distortion options to my liking and I have to say that I really struggled to get a tone I liked. I'm probably spoiled by the TonePort (Line6) tones

For my taste, they all sound too dirty and distorted, and yet, when you back down the gain they lose something. They're just very muddy and don't have any mids to let notes articulate themselves enough to cut through. When you bump the mids they get kind of noisy.

The best tones I've configured required that I turn my guitar's volume way down to keep the hum under control and to allow all the notes to ring through. Someone said they sound digital, and to my ears, they do (compared to the Line6 stuff).

I'll keep trying, but if I can't get what I'm looking for I may be forced to check out the pocket pod option or something else to use with the HD. One thing I do know, I WON'T be mic'ing any amps! :lol:
My view of the guitar sounds are spot on with yours. I think that the cleaner or mid-gain tones can be tweaked a bit easier, but overall, they all feel very hard and distorted to me. I have a THD Hotplate, so I am thinking about using one of my apms into the hotplate set to "load", then running the line out into a cab sim (like a Palmer). The thing is, I hate to run my amp that hard.

So you really dig the Line 6 Toneport huh? I don't need perfect tones - just good ones that are easy to tweak.
0 x