Zoom Q8 video quality pretty rough, setting suggestions?

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
sixbasser
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom Q8 video quality pretty rough, setting suggestions?

Post by sixbasser » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:45 am

I've been using a Q8 for some legal depositions, almost always indoor and fluorescent or incandescent lighting. I typically bump up the digital zoom 1 or 2 clicks so it doesnt look like a fish bowl, but not "zoomed in" to any large degree. But the video quality is ROUGH. It seems like it should be a lot better than what I'm getting. I dont use the 3M, but always one or two settings down the chain, always in the 1080 bracket.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get better (or even decent) video quality? Is using the "auto" setting the culprit?

Hopefully this screenshot will show how grainy the image is, which seems really bad for a 1080 capture.

thanks for any advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

sixbasser
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Zoom Q8 video quality pretty rough, setting suggestions?

Post by sixbasser » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:00 am

also, here is what I';m using for storage in case thats a culprit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:08 pm

I don't have that unit, so I can't speak specifically.

Storage cards shouldn't matter. They either work or they don't. But high res video can take up tons of space at higher settings, so you'll want to run tests to see how many minutes you get per GB. Also, be aware that if you shoot high-res vid, when you try to down-convert (to a smaller file size) it can all go to $#!+ if you don't use the right software and/or settings.

I have used an app on Mac called HandBrake which does a nice job with down-conversion.

I think you'll need to experiment with settings and try to have decent light to see what yields the best results. Turn off Auto, and just run samples of video at all the different zooms & rates until you find the sweet-spot of quality vs file-size.

Forgive me if I'm telling you stuff you already know.
1 x

Eldon Benge
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Eldon Benge » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:51 am

I have limited experience with my Q8, but I have noticed that the brighter the ambient light, the better. I use the "Auto" scene setting (page 27 of the manual).
1 x
Richard
Zoom H6
Zoom Q8
Zoom LiveTrak L-12

sixbasser
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sixbasser » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:58 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:08 pm
Also, be aware that if you shoot high-res vid, when you try to down-convert (to a smaller file size) it can all go to $#!+ if you don't use the right software and/or settings.
This may be where I'm running into problems. I'm using FCPX but may not be converting to smaller sizes correctly. Will dig into that.

thanks guys!
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:33 pm

Try turning on a lamp or two and moving the shades to direct the light against the wall. The light cuts down the contrast between the subject and the background.

Check if there is a "scene" for florescent lighting. If so, try it. If not rotate through all the scenes while in record mode in a room lit by florescent lighting.

Also, the color of florescent and cfl lighting typically is video recorded as either blue or greenish yellow tint. LED lighting can also be recorded as blue tinted. But where florescent and cfl lighting is sold in mainly two light colors, LED lighting is available in many colors that is listed on the paper carton in degrees Kelvin. Multi-color LED lighting is also available.

Buy a photographic color/white card set. https://www.amazon.com/Movo-Photo-Balan ... B00GSC97HG. Record it in front of each person for a few seconds prior to the disposition. At the very worse, you can color correct the video in post production.
1 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Eldon Benge
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Eldon Benge » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:49 am

I recorded a music recital last week and noted that the camera is limited in handling high contrast lighting. The flatter the lighting, the better the picture quality.
2 x
Richard
Zoom H6
Zoom Q8
Zoom LiveTrak L-12