G3n & G3nx Editing Cheat Sheet

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

G3n & G3nx Editing Cheat Sheet

Post by stubbsonic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:01 pm

ABOUT NAVIGATING:
The lower right MODE switch toggles between MEMORY mode and STOMP mode. This switch also EXITS from MENU operations.

MEMORY MODE:
In MEMORY mode, you view patches in sets of three. Use BANK/SCROLL </> switches to move through banks of patches, three-at-a-time. Activate a patch using FS1, FS2, FS3.

In MEMORY MODE, when you turn the push-encoder, it adjusts Master Level, and when you press the push-encoder, it changes the display of the active patch to a "Quick View" showing a portion of the module chain. While the display is in this Quick View, turn the push-encoder to scroll the display left or right to see the entire chain of modules that are in this patch's FX chain. This view is display-only. Press the push-encoder again, and you're back to the display of the current patch name. Quick View is useful for seeing the modules of a patch without switching to STOMP mode.

STOMP MODE:
In STOMP mode, you can view and adjust settings of your FX chain. Your FX chain may be longer than the three adjacent windows can display. In STOMP MODE, you can use the BANK/SCROLL </> buttons to shift the view/control area across your FX chain. In STOMP MODE, use FS1, FS2, FS3 to turn individual FX modules on or bypass them. All the parameter knobs (4 per window) can be used to adjust settings of the FX modules. Use the TYPE buttons to step through the available FX modules for that displayed slot. To jump in the list to different FX categories, press and hold TYPE up, then press TYPE down one or more times to step through available categories. [NOTE: type buttons under the 2nd screen of 2-screen modules have no function].

In STOMP MODE, turning the push-encoder adjusts Master Level (the same as with MEMORY MODE). Pressing the push-encoder toggles the displays between the module NAMES and module’s VALUES. The NAMES display shows the module names in a larger font, and the VALUES display shows parameters labels and values. However, even when you are in NAMES view, when you adjust a parameter knob, the display will temporarily switch to show VALUES, then after a period of inactivity, the display will switch back to NAMES. The G3n(x) will remember your most recent view setting (NAMES or VALUES) the next time you enter STOMP MODE.

MENU FUNCTIONS
Accessed via the MENU button, MENU functions include editing the chain (moving, adding, or deleting FX modules within the chain), patch settings (includes level & name), save, swap, tuner settings, system and display settings.Turn the wheel to select options horizontally across the screen, or to change a value up/down. Pressing the push-encoder enters the selection.

NOTE: Next to the push encoder is printed "Push Edit/Effect". Little arrows around EDIT & EFFECT imply that you toggle between effect and edit. This is misleading. The print next to the knob should say:

TURN: Master Level / Select
PRESS: Toggle Display / Enter

NOTE: also, there is no dedicated "edit" mode. In STOMP mode, you can adjust your sound settings. You can go to the MENU functions to save the patch with the new settings.
TIP: To avoid having to save your changes, press MENU, select Setup, turn Auto-Save ON.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 24 times in total.
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: G3n & G3nx Editing: Clarifying the UI

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:05 pm

stubbsonic,

Very nice post. I'm sure the post will be helpful to both new and existing G3n users.

Thank you for sharing this with the community.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Re: G3n & G3nx Editing Cheat Sheet

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 am

Writing that helped me to get my head around the unit, and hopefully reading it will help others. It doesn't take much to send a user down a rabbit hole. That "EDIT <---> EFFECT" label sure did for me.

I did a little re-write to shorten and clarify more. I'm lending it to another person and needed to give him a little reference sheet, in case he has to make some on-the-fly adjustments. He may not look at it, but it was a good excuse to tighten this up.
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:43 am

I just saw the post about this forum closing down.

If you have a G3n or G3nX, you may like to get the above text which is way better than the original post. It might be nice to stick in the box. It's a useful little cheat sheet if you ever sell it.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:47 am

I'm shuttin' her down boys, see you all on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/zoomforum/
0 x