Zoom RT-223

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Goodrat
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom RT-223

Post by Goodrat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:30 pm

THinking of upgrading from the 123.
Is there a kick drum as good (deep) as the SR-16, (studio kick I think it is called)?
Are the better bass guitar sounds still there? There are half the bass sounds of the RT-123.
0 x

Goodrat
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Zoom RT-223

Post by Goodrat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:43 pm

OK, Checked out the RT-223 today for just 45 minutes. Not enough time, I know.
The biggest complaint I have is the bass is not as good as the 123.
The 123 has a few useful bass sounds for pop and rock, but the 223 has 2 that possibly can be used with some tweaking. But one is too dull, the ither too bright.
There is no Picked bass of the perfect "Big bottom bass" on the 123.
You get 12 instead of 25 to bass choose from.
I kept looking for a good crash but could not find it. Many just sound like the China cymbol.
So the 123 has a beter crash, although fewer.
It seems like there were a lot of toms to choose from. I didn't find a good low or floor tom.
I read it has song positioning on the midi, so that is a good change.
So over all, even with the better flexibility customizing the pads and paramaters for each, I'm not convinced I would be better off giving up my RT-123.
Why can't someone make a perfect home recording drum machine? Get rid of ALL the pre-set patterns, get more and better sounds, lots of useable bass guitar, pad flexability, midi in/out, two or tree stereo out's, cymbols that sound real, toms that don't sound fake, good kick drums, ?
I mean, 20 years and we can't get a better kick drum than an SR-16?
Is there a side hit high hat? I forgot to check.
I program all my patterns and string them together for songs. If you are recording and creating, I cannot see any reason at all for pre-set patterns.
I want to record the bass on a seperate track in Sonar, so song positioning is a plus if I have to go back and sync it to the drums on a second pass, so the 223 is good for that. If it had two outputs, even better.
So it is the old... this machine does this, but doesn't do that, and this one has this, but doesn't have that..... kind of thing.
Get rid of the hip-hop sounds. Those writers use loops anyway. :)
0 x