Zoom and information

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
brandon
dues paid
dues paid

Zoom and information

Post by brandon » Fri May 08, 2009 10:08 am

I am getting seriously hacked off with the way Zoom is going about the release of the R16.
There is no mention of it on it's website despite it being the biggest revelation ever! There is also no mention of the fate of the HD16 & 8 as a result. Nothing!
People need to be able to make a decision on which product they are going to buy. I have been waiting since January to decide whether to go for the HD16 or the R16. I know less now than I did then.

If I didn't rate their products as much as I do i would be off by now and into the world of Boss or Tascam but I think I am being patient.

Rant over!
0 x

Incognito
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Zoom and information

Post by Incognito » Fri May 08, 2009 6:16 pm

Just wait a couple more weeks. Zzounds.com has the r16 being sold on May 24th. http://www.zzounds.com/a--3853/item--ZOMR16
0 x

brandon
dues paid
dues paid

Post by brandon » Sat May 09, 2009 3:44 am

Incognito wrote:Just wait a couple more weeks. Zzounds.com has the r16 being sold on May 24th. http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMR16
Yes I noticed that - however they say the date is not guaranteed. My main concern though is the lack of info from Zoom. Why aren't they pushing this product and really hyping it? At least just to get our mouths watering. We have had nothing since NAMM 5 months ago.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat May 09, 2009 11:25 am

I think it's safe to say they're still working out the bugs. Believe me, they want to get this puppy out into the market as soon as they can, but they don't want it going out with glitches. I say take your time and get it right, Zoom. [/fanboy] ;)
0 x

Incognito
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Incognito » Sat May 09, 2009 1:25 pm

I think it's safe to say they're still working out the bugs. Believe me, they want to get this puppy out into the market as soon as they can, but they don't want it going out with glitches. I say take your time and get it right, Zoom. [/fanboy] ;)
Yup I agree Zoe. With something like the r16 it could be really bad if its buggy. Biggest problem I could see is the sd card getting filled up too fast or just completely locking up if you record too many tracks over existing tracks without erasing the track completely first. I used to have that problem with my d1200 8 track that recorded on a hd. Lost a lot of good songs when it locked up on me.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sat May 09, 2009 2:26 pm

There is also the affair of the H2 -- in which companies were taking preorders, only to have the release date shoved off by three more months when Zoom redesigned the input from S-M-S to the opposing X/Y pairs.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Incognito
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Incognito » Sat May 09, 2009 3:02 pm

There is also the affair of the H2 -- in which companies were taking preorders, only to have the release date shoved off by three more months when Zoom redesigned the input from S-M-S to the opposing X/Y pairs.
Well lets hope that doesn't happen or else I'm just putting songs down on a portastudio from ebay
0 x

Incognito
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Incognito » Sun May 10, 2009 5:50 pm

Your cries have been answered Brandon

http://www.samsontech.com/products/prod ... rodID=2009
0 x

brandon
dues paid
dues paid

Post by brandon » Mon May 11, 2009 12:20 pm

Incognito wrote:Your cries have been answered Brandon

http://www.samsontech.com/products/prod ... rodID=2009
I am not sure what you mean Icognito.
If you mean the information then this has been available for quite some time. I was hoping they would put something on their own site about it - maybe give the guys at Sound On Sound a freebie to try out and also give us some examples of what it can do etc.

I am desperate to read the manual - that is the bible as far as i am concerned as it will tell me exactly what it can and cannot do.

But thanks anyway for taking the trouble to post - it is greatly appreciated.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon May 11, 2009 3:51 pm

If they haven't sent out review units yet it's possible the release date will change. I'd love to read some reviews of this puppy, I think it has a nice blend of options. As for the lack of drum machine, you could always pick up this one for $100: http://www.zzounds.com/a--3853/item--ZOMMRT3
I know, not that same as having it built in, but that keeps the R16 cheaper.
0 x

Incognito
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Incognito » Mon May 11, 2009 6:18 pm

I am not sure what you mean Icognito.
If you mean the information then this has been available for quite some time. I was hoping they would put something on their own site about it - maybe give the guys at Sound On Sound a freebie to try out and also give us some examples of what it can do etc.

I am desperate to read the manual - that is the bible as far as i am concerned as it will tell me exactly what it can and cannot do.

But thanks anyway for taking the trouble to post - it is greatly appreciated.
Ah that info is new to me, I check the Samson site every so often to look for info on the r16 because I'm also waiting to find out exactly what it can and can't do. The site answered a lot of my questions like how many condensers I can plug in, effects, hi-z input, control surface, 2 track usb or full interface, etc. Its a longshot but I work at a music store with an account with Zoom so if i do order it, I'll do it through the store and hopefully it will come early or something.

If they haven't sent out review units yet it's possible the release date will change. I'd love to read some reviews of this puppy, I think it has a nice blend of options. As for the lack of drum machine, you could always pick up this one for $100: http://www.zzounds.com/a--3853/item--ZOMMRT3
I know, not that same as having it built in, but that keeps the R16 cheaper.
Yeah if it was between lower price and drum machine I'd take the lower price any day. Its got a metronome atleast, maybe it'll have a couple drum loops in there. I'm surprised it even has an instrument input with effects and modeling.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue May 12, 2009 1:07 am

Incognito wrote:Ah that info is new to me, I check the Samson site every so often to look for info on the r16 because I'm also waiting to find out exactly what it can and can't do. The site answered a lot of my questions like how many condensers I can plug in, effects, hi-z input, control surface, 2 track usb or full interface, etc. Its a longshot but I work at a music store with an account with Zoom so if i do order it, I'll do it through the store and hopefully it will come early or something.
Looking at the enlarged top down photo, I think there will be some heavy disappointments...

Notice that the inputs do NOT have On/Off push buttons. On the HDx, any input can be routed to any track (or any pair of inputs to a stereo pair of tracks). I suspect the R16 operates, always, in a mode similar to the HD16 8-in parallel mode. Input 1 to Track 1, I2 to T2, etc. (with a bank switch to shift to 9-16 from 1-8).

No mention was made of v-takes either. Looking at the photo, it also looks like mix-down/bouncing goes to the Master, not to some other selected track/pair. I have the impression this is not really intended for the "layered" recording techniques used with the HDx (or similar devices) wherein one uses one or two inputs, and record parts one at a time in separate tracks. This device is much closer to my original potential/intent for the HD16 -- 8-inputs of microphones for video work (ambient, surround sources, and direct subject voices).

I could favor additional ports with phantom power.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Incognito
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Incognito » Tue May 12, 2009 1:56 am

Notice that the inputs do NOT have On/Off push buttons. On the HDx, any input can be routed to any track (or any pair of inputs to a stereo pair of tracks). I suspect the R16 operates, always, in a mode similar to the HD16 8-in parallel mode. Input 1 to Track 1, I2 to T2, etc. (with a bank switch to shift to 9-16 from 1-8).
I think you're right. I doubt it'll have a menu option to assign different inputs to different tracks because that would make things unnecessarily difficult.
No mention was made of v-takes either. Looking at the photo, it also looks like mix-down/bouncing goes to the Master, not to some other selected track/pair. I have the impression this is not really intended for the "layered" recording techniques used with the HDx (or similar devices) wherein one uses one or two inputs, and record parts one at a time in separate tracks. This device is much closer to my original potential/intent for the HD16 -- 8-inputs of microphones for video work (ambient, surround sources, and direct subject voices).
Again, probably right about the v-tracks. V-tracks would take up a lot of space unless you spring for the 32gb card.. those are like $80-100. I can live without virtual tracks though, if you're not happy with the take then it should get erased.

Now I'm suspect that 1-4 could be individual mic inputs, 5-6 could be STEREO phantom inputs suitable for a pair of condensers.. I'm guessing the "mic" button on 7-8 are for the built in condensers which would obviously be stereo and are probably stereo inputs with the switch off too.. and like you said, the mix would always be bounced down to master (again unless theres a menu, scroll, tap, button press ritual one would have to do to bounce to a different pair).

This seems like an old school recorder except instead of cassettes its using sd cards but it could also be used as an interface so people who like to layer one track at a time can do so onto their daw. It still works for me though, track 1- guitar, 2-bass, 3- kick, 4- snare, 5+6 overhead condensers and 7-8 for the synth.. bounce all that down and use the rest for vocals and harmonies. No virtual tracks just live recording and capturing a good take of the band that could sound pretty decent if mic'd correctly inside a good room.

Its fun to speculate, glad people are participating in the thread.

Edit: I'm doubting it'll be input 1 to track 1, etc. Reason being because the instrument input would be pretty pointless if you can't assign it to anything besides the first track. I have this korg multitrack that you assign the input to the track with the wheel and buttons inside this maze of a menu that you can only navigate if you squint your eyes. Judging from the original H4 this could be right up Zoom's alley.
0 x

brandon
dues paid
dues paid

Post by brandon » Tue May 12, 2009 9:30 am

There are numbers on the 2 built in mics too - I would doubt that they were assigned purely to a specific input.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed May 13, 2009 1:13 am

I think you're right. I doubt it'll have a menu option to assign different inputs to different tracks because that would make things unnecessarily difficult.
Yeah, unless there are mini buttons on back where the XLR connector are -- the choices seem to be "pick a track, make sure a microphone is connected to the same input"
Again, probably right about the v-tracks. V-tracks would take up a lot of space unless you spring for the 32gb card.. those are like $80-100. I can live without virtual tracks though, if you're not happy with the take then it should get erased.
Unless you are doing a couple of albums, it shouldn't be that serious. After all, the BOSS BR-600 lives off of a 1GB Maximum CF card (no idea why they couldn't handle a 2GB -- that would still be in the "signed integer" range for a FAT file system).

Takes are useful if one records a raw track (no effects), and then bounces it with effects to alternate takes on the same track. Then as one works on the final mix, one could choose which effect version works best.

But for a one-time live gig -- then yes (though being limited to one instrument level input means getting direct boxes for any other electric instruments).

Now I'm suspect that 1-4 could be individual mic inputs, 5-6 could be STEREO phantom inputs suitable for a pair of condensers.. I'm guessing the "mic" button on 7-8 are for the built in condensers which would obviously be stereo and are probably stereo inputs with the switch off too.. and like you said, the mix would always be bounced down to master (again unless theres a menu, scroll, tap, button press ritual one would have to do to bounce to a different pair).
Ah, but if the inputs are always live, one still has the track rec/play/mute button -- so while 5&6 are the pair that have phantom power, they still have individual input gains, and one can mute the undesired track.

Same for 7&8 -- don't select one of the tracks for record, and only the other channel goes through. But 7&8 are the tracks that swap between internal microphones and external.
Edit: I'm doubting it'll be input 1 to track 1, etc. Reason being because the instrument input would be pretty pointless if you can't assign it to anything besides the first track. I have this korg multitrack that you assign the input to the track with the wheel and buttons inside this maze of a menu that you can only navigate if you squint your eyes. Judging from the original H4 this could be right up Zoom's alley.
Ugly, if true... Having to flip menus to assign inputs to tracks.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed May 13, 2009 1:15 am

brandon wrote:There are numbers on the 2 built in mics too - I would doubt that they were assigned purely to a specific input.
If you look at the picture, the internal microphones are labeled 7 and 8, and the selector switch is between the gain controls for inputs 7&8
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Incognito
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Incognito » Wed May 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Ah, but if the inputs are always live, one still has the track rec/play/mute button -- so while 5&6 are the pair that have phantom power, they still have individual input gains, and one can mute the undesired track.

Same for 7&8 -- don't select one of the tracks for record, and only the other channel goes through. But 7&8 are the tracks that swap between internal microphones and external.
Yeah only bummer about just muting the undesired track in a stereo pair is when you want to pan it you're kinda stuck unless the 2 recorded inputs compliment eachother because there will be only one pan option, which will be in a menu controlled by the jog wheel, which is lame in my opinion because a lot of fun can be had during a bounce moving a pan knob and eq knob. So if you wanted to bring a sound from the left speaker to the right speaker while bringing up the mids you'll have to bounce it twice.. if the bounces only go to tracks 11-12 then the whole project just became a mission.

The other thing is that you can only use one or no condenser mics because turning phantom power on a dynamic or ribbon mic wouldnt be a good idea and it looks like the switch controls the pair.

This is a $400 portable multitrack not a $10,000 rig so this stuff is expected. Its not much of a big deal though because it'll better to mix all complex songs on the computer anyway. But one of my favorite parts about this thing is it being able to run on batteries and it being portable because after every mix i've ever done I always put it on cd and played it in the car to test it.. now I can save cd's and just bring this thing in there into the ipod aux. :D
0 x