Zoom and information

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Zoom and information

Post by Wulfraed » Thu May 14, 2009 12:21 am

So far as I can tell from looking, there are no "linked stereo" pairs... Just convention of attaching the internal microphones as 7/8, and phantom power as a pair on 5/6, but as they still have individual mute/record/play and faders I'd expect them to also use simple individual panning controls.

Granted, won't know until the manual PDF is available...

Though none of the track parameters are selectable and controllable via discrete knobs. I'm not even sure where the overall recording level control is -- maybe there isn't one since there may not be an input mixer stage -- if each input goes direct to the same numbered track, then peaking the input gain would set the maximum for the track... Whereas on the HDx, multiple peaked inputs could be routed to a single track, so a record level is needed to reduce the summation of the peaked inputs.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Zoom and information

Post by Wulfraed » Thu May 14, 2009 12:26 am

Incognito wrote:The other thing is that you can only use one or no condenser mics because turning phantom power on a dynamic or ribbon mic wouldnt be a good idea and it looks like the switch controls the pair.
So far as I know, a BALANCED (XLR) dynamic microphone is not affected by phantom power

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_po ... nformation
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards