RT-223 Drum Machine

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Greg Curtis
new to this board
new to this board

RT-223 Drum Machine

Post by Greg Curtis » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:05 am

Anyone using one of these. Trying to decide between this & the Boss DR-880 but there is such a price difference between the two. Not into computer recording as I'm lousy on the computer.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RT-223 Drum Machine

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:34 am

I have an old BOSS DR-202 Dr. Groove which looks a little pathetic next to these new machines like the DR-880 but was a lot of fun back in the day. Do you want realistic sounding drums or techno/hip hop/whatever sounding drums? What problem are you solving?
0 x

Greg Curtis
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Greg Curtis » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Looking for realistic sounding drums to use with an acoustic & electric guitar. Would also like to be able to add some bass tracks like these machines have. I guess what I'm asking is which one is the best for what I want if you've heard both models.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:32 pm

I've heard neither. The "realistic" drums on the 202 were not very inspiring, but I'm guessing they've improved in that area.

Having programmed the drum machine and dealt with midi and loop based drums on the computer, I would gently suggest you look into a loops based solution. I know you say you're lousy on the computer, but it takes me seconds to do with loops on the computer what it would take from 10 to 45 minutes to do on the 202, and that's a relatively basic and easy machine.

If you're determined to go the drum machine route, I would STRONGLY urge you to find a local store with at least one of these machines so you can both hear the actual sounds it puts out and see what programming the drums entails. The main problem with using a drum machine is you absolutely have to do the drums first, which means you have to have the structure of the song down to the measure worked out in advance.

By contrast, with computer recording you can record to a click track, metronome, simple drum beat, whatever, and then drop in better sounding loops later when you have the song structure worked out. It's more flexible.

Ok, enough of my 2 cents. Hopefully someone will pop in and actually address your question. ;)
0 x

Greg Curtis
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Greg Curtis » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:41 am

Okay Zoetrope what drum software would you recommend thats easy to use. I have a Tascam 2488 Neo & would like to download the drum sound I choose to the Tascam. It has a USB port to connect to my computer. I also have the Audacity & Reaper software downloaded on my computer but haven't used either as of yet. Thanks for your help BTW.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:03 pm

Well, that complicates matters. Does that thing have a sequencer or some way to sync it up with the drum machine? If so, drum machine might actually be your best route, other than using the computer to do the drums. If you use computer, then you could dump the finished drum track to the Tascam, but that would not be fun. Can you use the Tascam as an interface for mixing software on the computer?

If you want to go computer free, and the Tascam can tell the drum machine when to start that might be the best way to go. You could still edit the drum machine after you've recorded other tracks and keep it all in sync (theoretically).

Ultimately, you've got too much gear I'm not familiar with to give any concrete advice.
0 x

Greg Curtis
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Greg Curtis » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks for your advice Zoetrope. I know its hard to give advice when you haven't used the gear I'm talking about but I thank you anyway. I think I'm going to go the drum machine route as I can trigger it with the Neo.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:55 am

I only have one parting piece of advice then. When I got my DR-202 many years ago (oh what a happy day that was) I spent a LOT of time learning how to use it. I made tons and tons of drum sets, beats, and songs. I used that puppy until I could practically do it blindfolded. It was time very well spent, because when it came time to actually use the thing in constructing songs I didn't have to think about what button to push to get what I wanted, it was very easy and I could focus on the sounds and the song.

I strongly recommend blocking out some time to really master the 880, especially since you'll be using it in conjunction with the Tascam. You do NOT want to be pulling out the manual in the middle of creating a song.

Once you have that 880 up and running post some clips here of the sounds you can make with it. I'd be especially interested to hear how the realistic drums sound, but anything you're working on would be of interest. :^:
0 x