G2.1Nu - introduction

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Sapphyr
new to this board
new to this board

G2.1Nu - introduction

Post by Sapphyr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:25 am

Hi all,

As an intro, I thought I'd copy the intro that I wrote wrote for Amazon...

<intro>

I've been involved with electronic music and synthesis etc., since I first played the school's organ aged 13. That was when Wendy was still Walter and the concept of *carrying* a keyboard was unheard of!

I build, and wired, my own 2-manual organ with six, wildly-drifting, oscillators and a whole bunch of passive filters and managed to get something resembling a workable sound in the late-60s and, lo and behold, voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs) were invented!

After visiting a few UK manufacturers and getting totally hooked on Floyd, Hawkwind, ELP and co., - God, I sound an old fart!, I scrapped the organ idea and turned my attention to synths.

At the same time, I was sponsored by EMI and was doing my final-year project in 'The Harmonics of the Human Singing Voice' at Loughborough University which taught me a LOT more about acoustics and musical theory. The University also had its Allen organ installed - see http://www.allenorgans.co.uk/, which blew me apart!

Despite playing keyboards, I prefer performing with a guitar as you get to wave your arms around a lot more and can strike some great poses :)

This moved me into building a few effects pedals: waa-waa, fuzz, over-drives, flangers, delays, etc. but Boss employed a lot more people than I could cope with so I bough a few of their pedals and combined/enhanced these with my creaking circuitry... the electronics, that is!

As those days of being my own roadie and having a house that looks like Abbey Road are long behind me, and my family, I persuaded my fiancé that the Zoom G2.1Nu Guitar Multi-Effects Processor was just what *we* needed :)

It arrived at 10:00 this morning and now, 15:25, I've finished evaluating, i.e. playing with, it.

It's a great combination of most of the leading guitar-effects pedals from the past three decades - yes, I had to try all 99 patches, and, the most impressive for me, the incredibly effective noise-gate (hum/click/rubbish) suppression)... I can imagine blowing a few speakers and eardrums if you forgot that and hit your first power-chord!

All in all, Zoom have effectively wrapped up over three decades of guitar effects into a single, portable box at a very affordable price.

I'm waiting for the new USB cable and gold-plated jack-plug to arrive and I'll add my review of how it works with Cubase LE 4 next week.

Waa-waah-woowowaaaah

</intro>

Sapph
0 x