Zoom Q3 settings for recording a gig?

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
HarpNinjaMike
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom Q3 settings for recording a gig?

Post by HarpNinjaMike » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:55 am

I am a Zoom newb and picked up a used Q3 to make some YouTube demo videos (probably not much gig video) and to record audio of gigs (may end up also getting a Zoom H2 or H4n).

What are some general guidelines for capturing the best audio possible at a gig with the Q3? I am hoping to use the Q3 immediately and have limited "tinkering" time.

Thanks!

*Also, is it easy to mix/combine audio from a Q3 and an H2 if I used both at a gig?
0 x

jules_802

Re: Zoom Q3 settings for recording a gig?

Post by jules_802 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:51 am

hi mike,

it's a case of experimenting really. i haven't recorded a band at full volume on mine yet!

i know you have limited time, but try taking the Q3 to rehearsals first so that you can evaluate the results and make improvements. or at least take headphones to your first gig so you can try different things, playback, and make decisions about the best set up. here are some things that immediately come to mind:

* the 'auto' gain setting often adjusts the gain level after the first few seconds. that's a bit irritating but can be corrected later if you have a 'daw' solution on your pc.
* choose as high a sound quality as you can taking into account SD card capacity and the planned length of your recording
* usual mic placement rules apply. you'll need to find that optimum position between the band taking your vu meter into the red and it being so far back that you get all the noise from the bar ;-)

in terms of combining audio from two different sources ... if you have a daw solution i'm sure it will be possible. tell us a bit more about what you're trying to achieve.

cheers, jules.
0 x
taking a lifetime to master ...
http://www.myspace.com/julianlerway

HarpNinjaMike
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Zoom Q3 settings for recording a gig?

Post by HarpNinjaMike » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks for the info!

What I'd like to do is get a demo product for a coverband. I am new to this whole thing...I chose the Q3 because I can use the video piece for YouTube demos from home...probably won't record video of gig at this point. I would like to eventually be able to record the room sound and also a mix from the board.

I could get the 4hn to do that all in one package though. Otherwise, I thought maybe a combo of audio from the Q3 and a H2? That'd be cheaper, anways.

I have no idea what I should use for editing via a computer program. I have access to a Mac and a PC. With video in the past, I've used iMovie and WMMS. Thanks for the input!
0 x