Zoom Gear & Home Recording Forum

Zoom PS-02, PS-04, MRS, H4, HD16cd, R16 and home recording information, discussion, and support

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Q3HD settings
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:20 pm 
new to this board
new to this board

Hi I'm new to Zoom Q3HD. Is there a guide which spells out which settings to use in which environments?. For example which sound configuration is best for recording bands, which setting for a interview / conversation, and which is best for recording a presentation.
Thankyou in advance.

Post subject: Re: Q3HD settings
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:39 pm 
been here a while
been here a while

I don't know whether there is a guide or not but I would suggest that trial and experience will be your best guide. As in doing any sort of audio/video setup the environment is likely to be somewhat unique so doing a sound-check / video-check is something I think is pretty much always the order of the day. After a little practice, you'll develop a sense for what are most likely to be your best settings but you will still do a sound check on set-up to make sure everything is working and optimal and to do any tweaking necessary for the particular gig demands.

Regards,
Mike H

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:54 pm 
new to this board
new to this board

Thanks Mike - the user guide tells me the settings exist, not what they are for. But I think your right experimenting will be the best teacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:19 am 
Rising Star
Rising Star

JOB wrote:
Thanks Mike - the user guide tells me the settings exist, not what they are for. But I think your right experimenting will be the best teacher

Try page 8 of the manual:

Quote:
By changing the recording sensitivity, you can record both quiet
sounds and loud band performances at the optimal level.

Adjusting the recording level
1. Set the MIC GAIN switch according to the
recording conditions.
L Low sensitivity
Band performances and concerts
H High sensitivity
Field recordings
AUTO Automatic sensitivity adjustment
Use in various situations to maintain an even
recording level without breaks in sound

Fran

http://www.youtube.com/franguidry
Homebrewed Music Blog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:46 pm 
new to this board
new to this board

excellent thank you Fran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:02 am 
member in good standing
member in good standing

Along these lines, I was talking to tech support ant explaining to the person on the phone that "low" records my band way too low and high records my band with clipping, at least this was true on the Zoom H2. I would also get clipping on medium. Now obviously the Q3HD, which I just received, does NOT even have a medium setting, so the tech advised me that on both the Zoom H2 AND the Q3HD, I can set the input gain on "high" and then monitor clipping on the unit and fine-tune the input gain to prevent clipping by adjusting the sensitivity. He said on the H2, I could use "left and right" (which look like FF and rewind - left and right on the "cross") and that up and down would do this on the Q3HD. However, in messing around with this, while in front of my TV as a test, I could NOT change the meters. There appeared to be a slider that worked, BUT it went up and down (and left and right if I went left and right on the round pad) but the record meters did not change. This is somewhat puzzling. I want to record a very important concert tomorrow, and I need to make sure I get this right. ;)

Edit: Okay I tried it on my H2 and it worked. I set the unit to "high" but using left and right I was able to lower and raise the record level from 100 to 0 and I could see a pronounced effect on the moving record meters. Not sure how to do this (fine tune the input volume) on the Q3HD within the two settings (high and low)