Zoom G3 output question

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
icepickphil
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom G3 output question

Post by icepickphil » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:33 pm

I tried using my G3 with a microphone and PA and none of the pedal effects did anything to the sound, and yes they were turned on. All I got was a clean sound from the microphone.

I plugged in a Shure58 mic with a high impedance jack into the G3 and used a low impedance microphone cable from the balanced output connector into a PA.

Did I do something wrong? Does the pre/post effect this?

Thanks.

gofishduo
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Zoom G3 output question

Post by gofishduo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi icepickphil! And welcome to the group! I seem to remember trying something like that with a boss distortion foot pedal once, and if I recall rightly, the same thing happened to me! Btw, I do have a G3, and it 'should' work....let me say this, the effects you applied, probably are working, it's just that using them on a voice through a PA, It's hard to hear a real strong effect, espesh if your trying distortion or some kind of modulation(chorus, flange etc...)..try it with a long delay, that should show up more readily that it is working...and don't forget that a regular mic is probably pumping out around 50-80 millivolts, as compared to a guitar which is more in the order of 300-500 mv...bringing the output up on the mic to match that of a guitar by using some kind of pre-amp, will result in massive feedback in a 'live' situation...all is not lost though...there is plenty of scope to increase the level of the effect in the G3, and if that is not enough, then adding the effect in post production(assuming you have the facility to record..)should give you the results you are looking for.....my only other suggestion would be to check out the 'digitech' range of live vocal processors...they may have a suitable selection of effects for you depending on what your after........good luck with it, and I'll keep an ear out for any of your work posted on the 'new song' forum......sideshow bob

icepickphil
new to this board
new to this board

Post by icepickphil » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:51 am

I'm using the Shure58 mic with a harmonica. I'm trying to "dirty" up the sound of the harmonica with some delay, EQ, and also using one of the Fender Amp models.

metal_head_82
new to this board
new to this board

Post by metal_head_82 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:13 am

Which output do you use?
If you use the DI-Out (XLR) you need to set it to output after the effects.
There is a small switch on the backside.
Even if your signal level is low you should hear some stuff going on - especially when using Phaser, Chorus, Flanger, etc.

So just check the switch... just in case you're using the XLR-Output...

Doode
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Doode » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:12 am

metal_head_82 wrote:Which output do you use?
If you use the DI-Out (XLR) you need to set it to output after the effects.
There is a small switch on the backside.
Even if your signal level is low you should hear some stuff going on - especially when using Phaser, Chorus, Flanger, etc.

So just check the switch... just in case you're using the XLR-Output...

Also, IIRC, when using the XLR, you can adjust the mix of direct and effected signal somewhere. So maybe yours is set to 100% direct.
Zoom G5
Zoom H1
Zoom G7.1ut sold
Zoom G2

Check out http://soundcloud.com/doode-1 for some G5 related recordings.

icepickphil
new to this board
new to this board

Post by icepickphil » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:11 am

Yes I'm using the G3 XLR output which runs into the PA mixing board.

Where is there a control to adjust the direct/effected mix on the G3?

Thanks.

metal_head_82
new to this board
new to this board

Post by metal_head_82 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:01 am

You can find that setting when you press the "Total" Button...

Bluescam
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Bluescam » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Hello. How can I set the G3 output to mic/instrument level? Even when I turn the master out down to 10 the signal is too hot. I have it set to front of combo. I don't see a mic/line switch. Thank you.