Zoom G5n Discussion.

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
NucleusX

Zoom G5n Discussion.

Post by NucleusX » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:49 pm

Howdy folks.

First of all, please forgive me for the edits. This is a new product, and much of the finer details are still somewhat of a mystery, so
for the sake avoiding misinformation during this thread, I will be making corrections along the way as these details are clarified. :)

It seems Zoom may be focusing back on Multi Fx units after what seemed like a longer than usual amount of time between
development cycles. Its good to see Zoom come back to Multi Fx, as it was unclear what direction they where taking as far
as business focus was concerned, and "seemed" to be making a permanent shift towards products in the recording side of
the market. Now Zoom have just unveiled a new addition by the name of "G5n", and while its a welcome return for guitarists,
it does invoke a certain amount of confusion once you digest what it has to offer.

For those that haven't laid eyes on this new offering from Zoom, here's some links and images to check out.

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/guitar- ... -processor
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar ... -processor
Zoom G5n.jpg
Zoom G5n.jpg

Personally, my confusion about the G5n was, what was Zoom trying to achieve here with the "n" suffix ? If we are to compare
it directly with the original G5, we see some similarities to its predecessor's features, some features that are new, and also some
omissions of features where made, all in all, making this offer seem like its not an obvious progression forward from the G5. The "n"
prefix as I understand, stands for "Next", as in next generation, so what exactly about the G5n makes it next generation ? As far
as the DSP chip is concerned, its unclear wether it has the original ZFX4 chip from the G5, or an entirely new ZFX5 DSP chip ?
what else is also unclear, is wether or not the modelling algorithms are based on the previous modelling, or an entirely new platform
of modelling ? Either way, new features include completely new chassis, an extra LCD for viewing your entire FX chain, Aux In, an
extra (4th) encoder on each stomp section, and a row of paddle switches at the bottom of the unit that mostly address the original
G5's foot-switching issues for function access. Zoom also created the new Guitar Lab software to manage the G5n, replacing the
older Edit&share software created for the G5. Omitted features are the Z pedal, XLR output, and 12AX7 tube based booster section.
The absence of an FX Loop still exists here as-well, which would allow full amplifier and external pedal integration.

I'm sure this new G5n from Zoom will create some interesting discussions as in-depth information & reviews gradually surfaces.

What's your thoughts ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NucleusX on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sacco_Belmonte
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: *All New* Zoom G5n.

Post by Sacco_Belmonte » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:44 am

I actually found the G5 has noise issues at the DA conversion. Look.

My A3 also has a high pitched noise. So, if Zoom wants me to buy more of their stuff they better fix these issues, otherwise I'm not confident enough to continue buying Zoom Gear.

I've reported this in detail to Zoom. I will definitely confirm if they solved the issue with a future firmware. (Zoom are you listening?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGAEr9vPzxg
i7 3770k OC at 4.6Ghz
ASUS Mobo
32Gb RAM
2x Presonus Firestudio Project. (working like a charm at low latency)
GTX 980 SC
4 x SSDs - System and all soft run from these.
2 x 6TB Storage
3 Monitors
KORG PadKontrol
KORG NanoKontrol
M-Audio KS88
Presonus Faderport.
Presonus BlueTube Dual
Bunch of Mics, Bunch of Headphones.
Zoom G5, A3, MT100BT.
Boss GT-8 (used, it sucks compared to the G5)
14 Guitars - 2 Basses - Lapguitar - Uke

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:07 pm

Any new acoustic pedals or is A3 still the latest there is?
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:11 pm

The intent and subject of this thread in particular, was aimed squarely at the Zoom G5n and its recent release.
Specific topics and issues outside this discussion should be posted elsewhere, or in a new thread perhaps.
Last edited by NucleusX on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ste_p0270
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ste_p0270 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:34 am

Think Zoom have missed a trick here. It still isn't a match for the HD500X (which is what, two years old now?).
I know they price themselves towards the lower end of the MFX bracket, but leaving such simple things out like FX looping is inexcusable.

That said, it's a fine looking device and aesthetically, a step in the right direction.

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:26 pm

Hey Ste, GTSY. ;)

Couldn't agree more, although, the POD HD series is atleast 5 years old now, and back when Zoom released the original G5, I
really thought Zoom was going to make a decent effort at competing against Line 6 and various other manufacturers. Looks like
Zoom missed that boat after making the G5 their main flagship and that was it. I can't help but feel that the main perception of
the G5n will be a G5 2.0, with most of its issues addressed, and some shuffled around features. Still, I like it as a total package
if one was to view it through fresh eyes, rather than in retrospect with the original G5. Like you said, it has an aesthetic appeal
to it, but I hope the line doesn't stop there, the anticipation of a larger flagship of this series still persists. FX Loop plz :yes:

ste_p0270
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ste_p0270 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:09 am

Hi buddy :)

Wonder if Zoom will release a "proper" flagship model, a successor to the 9.2?

That would definitely be interesting.....

bijd3hand
new to this board
new to this board

Post by bijd3hand » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:42 pm

I don't think I am gonna check it out...
This pedalboard is nice, but is not advanced at all. It is a bit old fashioned.

I don't see any Bluetooth integration, no options to download new effects. No options to adapt the sound to an existing guitar song (like Line 6 has nowadays with their AmpliFi line). No effect loop. No options to control the pedal via an app.

The Line 6 array of multi-effect pedals gets more and more interesting than the Zoom one. I have G5, terrific via USB, but in practice it makes a hissy noise like Sacco also remarks. Making the pedal a bit worthless for live performances.

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:55 pm

ste_p0270 wrote: Wonder if Zoom will release a "proper" flagship model, a successor to the 9.2?

Last edited by NucleusX on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:57 pm

ste_p0270 wrote: Wonder if Zoom will release a "proper" flagship model, a successor to the 9.2?
Got tired of waiting for one, so I built one myself. Introducing, the new G10.3TT ! The foot-switch labels are missing cause I ran out of money. :rock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guitarist1969
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Guitarist1969 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:46 pm

We've actually been talking about this unit alot over at thegearpage.net:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... t.1660268/

There does appear to be an ability to download new effects via the new guitar lab software, but the concensus is it is a step backwards from a G5 by the removal of the XLR as well much fewer default effects/amps (Which is the biggest concern). The adding of the new footwitches is nice though.

Hope they offer the MS-70CDR quality effects.

ste_p0270
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ste_p0270 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:02 am

NucleusX wrote:
Got tired of waiting for one, so I built one myself. Introducing, the new G10.3TT ! The foot-switch labels are missing cause I ran out of money. :rock:
haha... you still forgot to add an FX loop :D

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:18 pm

Guitarist1969 wrote:We've actually been talking about this unit alot over at thegearpage.net:

There does appear to be an ability to download new effects via the new guitar lab software, but the concensus is it is a step backwards from a G5 by the removal of the XLR as well much fewer default effects/amps (Which is the biggest concern). The adding of the new footwitches is nice though.

Cool, thanks for keeping us posted !

Didn't know about the loadable FX being integrated into the editor. Bit like how its done with the MS-100BT and
the StompShare store ? Possibly signifies a new platform of DSP chip and modelling software ? I'll be keeping a
lookout for any familiar FX. Its FX list is quite different to what we've seen in the G3/G5/MultiStomp FX set, but
I do see some older FX present in its list so far. Wonder what putting the editor online reveals selection wise.

Edit.

Just installed GuitarLab to see what was what. Doesn't appear to have a store like setup in it, and there's minimal
functionality in the menu's, but then again the software might reveal more when a G5n is actually connected to it ?

Edit.

After doing some more research on it, it seems that the internet connectivity is exclusively for downloading presets
and patches to the G5n, and not adding new FX modules like the MS-100BT does. Assuming this is %100 correct, any
new FX or AmpSim updates will only come from firmware updates, if Zoom actually chooses to create any, that is.
ste_p0270 wrote:
haha... you still forgot to add an FX loop :D
Look again ! There's 2 pairs of L/R on the right section of the pedal, being the stereo in/out FX Loop, and moved
the 1 output pair of L/R to the left section. Maybe I should've sprung the extra few bucks for labels eh ? :lol:
Last edited by NucleusX on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ste_p0270
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ste_p0270 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:50 am

yes mate... labels FTW!

nothing worse than incorrectly identified goods :D

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Created a dedicated thread for resources relating to the G5n, and can be found here. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22732&p=207137#p207137
Last edited by NucleusX on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:57 pm

One feature I really like, is that the amplifier and cabinet sections are assignable to separate FX slots, opening up
some interesting possibilities when creating chains. Its unclear as to wether these 2 sections must exist side by
side, or assignable in every possible conceivable position ? The unfortunate part about this feature, is that it can't
be fully exploited without an FX loop present. One can easily see the flexibility this combination would have when
it comes to integrating the G5n with traditional amplifiers and cabs, or an FRFR setup. Still has some use when
it comes to direct sounds, for example, some of my patches like "Direct" chains, don't have an amplifier at all in
the signal path. The tone after gain stages is somewhat sterile, so I fill the void by adding particular FX like EQ's
for cutting out frequencies below 80Hz, and above 8kHz. A Sonic Exciter to give it body and clarity, and a PEQ
to notch out unwanted frequencies. After that, Reverbs with a subtle mix ratio, like "Air" and/or "Early Reflections".
All the FX work together to provide a general preamp tone stack, and give it some amp/cabinet-like characteristics.
There are unique pro's and con's to Direct chains, and should be viewed as an alternative, rather than a replacement
to traditional signal chains that have their own set of unique pro's and con's. Direct is just another tool in the tone kit.
With an FX block dedicated to cabinet emulation, the Reverbs wouldn't be so essential, and another added bonus
to this approach, is hardly ever running out of DSP, and could usually occupy every FX slot, so long as there was
no Amp sim in the chain. IF there was an FX Loop available at this point, the cabinet emulator could be done away
with, having a real cabinet taking its place. Could be too early to say yet, but I don't think 3rd party impulse responses
are supported, but that's no surprise really. I can see how interesting this new G5n could be in the "studio/practice"
scenario, for sure, but the absence of an FX Loop restricts ones ability to exploit these features to their full potential
in a "live" scenario, making it a troublesome choice if that's the application you want to use it for. I'd say for the
best "live" experience, one would connect the main outputs directly to the Mixer/FRFR PA stages, and run their
chains with Amp/Cab sims and a limited set of FX. Using traditional guitar amps and cabinets could get quite messy
without an FX Loop, and no 4CM available. It is what it is, and there's no point in complaining about it, but I sure
hope one day Zoom takes the idea of an FX Loop seriously again, as its absence can cripple the units integration
potential, I/O wise. The paddle switches are a welcome improvement, working on the original G5's problems and
adequately addressing them in an efficient tactile foot-switching scheme. Not %100 certain, but I'm sure I remember
reading that the Drum Machine and Looper's position within the signal path isn't fixed, and can be assigned to any FX
slot you want, allowing you to place FX before and after them. Really cool if that's the case ! Again, one could see
the extended possibilities here if an FX Loop was present. Although the G5n lacks Midi In/Out/Thru as-well, I'm
betting it would react to Midi messages sent via USB connectivity. I wonder just how different that Booster stage
is from the original G5's 12AX7 tube based Booster. I'm guessing this stage is now constructed with transistors, unless
Zoom decided to hide the tube within the chassis. As previously mentioned in a corrected edit, the new GuitarLab
software allows you to download presets/patches online, but doesn't seem likely that a MS-100BT shop-like setup is
implemented into it for purchase of "new" FX, which is a bumber, that could've been cool ! 5 included amps seems
a little bare compared to competitor offers, so one might expect Zoom to add more later with firmware update/s.

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:19 am

Guitarist1969 wrote:We've actually been talking about this unit alot over at thegearpage.net:

There does appear to be an ability to download new effects via the new guitar lab software, but the concensus is it is a step
backwards from a G5 by the removal of the XLR as well much fewer default effects/amps (Which is the biggest concern).
The adding of the new footwitches is nice though.

Extracted from Overview.

"Use our free ZOOM Guitar Lab Mac/Windows software to instantly download new patches, effects, and amp/cabinet simulators.
It includes both a Patch Manager for effects chains and an Effects Manager, with a simple graphic user interface that provides
point-and-click control over tweaking, building, and naming your custom patches."

My apologies to Guitarist1969, you are correct sir, I think I need glasses ! :nuts: Its not so obvious in the software either without
a G5n connected. Lets hope the selection and realism of the modelling compensates for what they omitted. There are many
FX from the MultiStomps and Stompshare store I'd like to see make it into the list, fingers crossed. The only question that
remains with me is if these future FX downloads themselves will be free, or have some kind of price-tag on them ?