Zoom G5n Discussion.

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Guitarist1969
new to this board
new to this board

Re: *All New* Zoom G5n.

Post by Guitarist1969 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:45 pm

NucleusX wrote:
Guitarist1969 wrote:We've actually been talking about this unit alot over at thegearpage.net:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... t.1660268/

There does appear to be an ability to download new effects via the new guitar lab software, but the concensus is it is a step
backwards from a G5 by the removal of the XLR as well much fewer default effects/amps (Which is the biggest concern).
The adding of the new footwitches is nice though.

Hope they offer the MS-70CDR quality effects.
Extracted from Overview.

"Use our free ZOOM Guitar Lab Mac/Windows software to instantly download new patches, effects, and amp/cabinet simulators.
It includes both a Patch Manager for effects chains and an Effects Manager, with a simple graphic user interface that provides
point-and-click control over tweaking, building, and naming your custom patches."

My apologies to Guitarist1969, you are correct sir, I think I need glasses ! :nuts: Its not so obvious in the software either without
a G5n connected. Lets hope the selection and realism of the modelling compensates for what they omitted. There are many
FX from the MultiStomps and Stompshare store I'd like to see make it into the list, fingers crossed. The only question that
remains with me is if these future FX downloads themselves will be free, or have some kind of price-tag on them ?
Yeah that is the million dollar question. Will Zoom actually follow through on upgrades? If they don't they are going to lose alot of guitarists that were expecting a logical progression of the G5, which at this point they are not seeing. I have a Zoom MS-70CDR as well (On my performing board) and really want some of those effects on this G5n. At this point the Guitar Lab software is pretty much useless. You can't edit/tweak patches even, just rename, backup, and move around.

I have had the G5n for about 2 weeks now and loving the tones thus far that are built in. Coming from the G5, it is an improvement in some regards(Sound quality and added footswitches) and a downgrade in others (Pedal, XLR, effect choices, tweakability of indiv effects).
0 x

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:36 am

Congrats on your purchase. Can you tell us more about the relationship between the amp and cab sims being in separate slots.
Must they exist side-by-side, or can they be placed anywhere in your chain ? From your post, I get the impression a new DSP
software/hardware platform may have been implemented. Any chance you can take the lid off and inspect the DSP chip ?
0 x

Guitarist1969
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Guitarist1969 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:28 pm

NucleusX wrote:Congrats on your purchase. Can you tell us more about the relationship between the amp and cab sims being in separate slots.
Must they exist side-by-side, or can they be placed anywhere in your chain ? From your post, I get the impression a new DSP
software/hardware platform may have been implemented. Any chance you can take the lid off and inspect the DSP chip ?
There are basically 3 classes of units for the modeling - Drive, amps and cabs(with mic settings too). They are all new code and Zoom even admits on their FB page they are very DSP hungry (quality over quantity). They can be placed anywhere in the chain and do not need to be side by side or even be used (Can just use a drive by itself if you want). They sound really good but they max out the limits easily. My impression is that Zoom did not upgrade the DSP on this unit as it is a bit of a battle to not get run out of DSP power. I am not sure I am ready to take it apart at this point though to see what's in there. They really needed to put 2 DSPs in this unit. There are only 5 amps but with the drives and cab combos there are a lot of options. All the amps sound good and I really like the Drive options they included too (Like RC Boost and EP Boost)

The Amps actually take 2 slots on the chain, and the second button on the second screen, is like a solo boost option on some of the amps but it depends on the specific amp what that second button does.

the Looper and Drum machine are also moved into a unit so they take a slot each if you use them (They again can be placed anywhere so you can get some cool drum sounds if you put like a flanger behind it).

One thing I need to remember is to not think of building a chain like a traditional pedalboard (I also have a normal manual board) - You need to try options and get away with the bare minimum as the DSP limit will be a problem is using and Amp plus Drive plus Cab, not leaving any room for anything else.

I pretty much have been able to live with the limitations thus far, but it sometimes is a problem. For example, last night I wanted to make a patch off the Bogner Ecxtasy . So I put the Gold Drive - Bogner Amp - Bogner Cab and I think the Drum machine and then hit DSP full. It sounds really good but I would have liked a reverb or delay in there too.

I have been able to dial in most sounds I have tried - Adding a lot of U2 patches for their big songs and feel I am very close to the tone. AC-30 Amp with cab, RC Boost Drive and 2 delays typically. The Mod Delay is a bit of a letdowne as you can't control; the amount of mod. No Shimmer either.

I see myself using mainly the AC-30 model and the Fender Twin model (I have a real twin as well and it sounds pretty close) - The second button on the Fender amp model is the Vibrato on/off (With rate and intensity settings) just like a real Twin - They did also add a gain knob to the Twin model so you can get the full range of Fender amps like a Deluxe Reverb (A real Twin doesn't have gain).

So coming from my G5, there are improvements in the sound (Of all the effects) - I do see that they improved some of the other effects such as now there is a 6 band EQ (2 screens) which is switchable for 2 different presets of your EQ (Footswitch can be momentary or toggle). I do think in other regards they dropped the ball compared to the G5 (XLR , pedal not nearly as customizable or durable, not as much tweakability in patches). I do really like that they added an Aux in - I put a Bluetooth receiver on it and am streaming backing tracks to it and playing along - May even use this in a live setting with Ambient guitar pads I have, and play over them.

But the key will be what additional effects they create to download and if they keep their word as stated in the marketing material as the effect selection is limited at this point.
1 x

Guitarist1969
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Guitarist1969 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:58 am

To keep you all updated, Zoom released some new amps and effects for the G5n, as well as a bunch of patches. All free. The info is here:

https://slate.adobe.com/cp/3K8mB/

Looks like it is going to be a monthly updating process from what is described.
1 x

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:06 pm

Guitarist1969 wrote:To keep you all updated, Zoom released some new amps and effects for the G5n, as well as a bunch of patches. All free. The info is here:

https://slate.adobe.com/cp/3K8mB/

Looks like it is going to be a monthly updating process from what is described.

Thanks for posting back. Zoom have these details on their website, so I'll add it to the list of resources. Nice to see Zoom make these
FX/Amp updates free to all. Lets hope Zoom continue to do so to a point the unit is filled with a respectable amount of selection.
I also noticed they are using custom artist patches as a filler to these updates, which is fine, but not essential to the value of updates.
We are about to get these units into Australia soon with a quoted ~$600 AUD price-tag :shock: but I'll take the time to demo one at-least.
There's no GAS inspiration here to rush out and buy one from what I've seen so far. A scaled up version might peek my interest tho.
Must be quite a tease to hit the DSP wall before a fully featured chain is achievable, kinda negates the need for the extra LCD screen.
The choice of installed DSP chip still eludes, so if anyone out there reading this that actually knows what it is, please inform us !
0 x

mojo_plasma
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Zoom G5n Discussion.

Post by mojo_plasma » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:47 am

These are my findings after having the unit a few months.
I have been using it mostly at home playing through the power amp section of my traynor tube amp and feeding the amp output into a stage monitor... I find this works well for home/bedroom level playing.

I have used it at church a few times played into a power amp/cab rig... ala "power engine" kinda thingy.

I think the amp models are improved over the G3 (which I also own and did some A/B testing)

I think the drive pedals are much improved over the G3. There are better, albeit less selections to choose from... but the ones included have the proper parameters to sculpt more usable sounds than was available in the G3.

Sound-wise the delays are about the same, which were pretty good in the G3, but lacks KEY functionality (included in the G3) such as the ability to adjust the amount of modulation in a MODULATED DELAY!!!... I mean, come on!!! have you ever heard of anything this dumb??!!? ZOOM... ARE YOU LISTENING??? I understand they are trying to keep ALL the editing on one display... but I would MUCH prefer the hassle of "deep, multi-window editing" ala G3 if it means getting the parameters one needs.

The Expression Pedal has been rendered almost useless... Unless I am missing something... you can not assign it to ANY parameters as you can with most digital gear, except for the WAH... for instance, you have a delay (One of the mod delays) dialed up and you like the sound, so decide to control the mix or feedback with the exp pedal... NOPE!! The pedal can not be assigned to control ANY of the parameters... you have to use a certain delay called "Pedal Delay" Then you are ONLY given control to adjust input level!! It's not the most robust delay AND you can not control your preferred parameter, only what zoom decided you can control... :(
...Again... perhaps I am missing something... I hope so!

No XLR out!??!!? Again... zoom, what were you thinking??? this unit is as I understand it, meant to be an all-in-one kit, intended at direct i.e. NO AMP, interfacing with the console... And you decided to omit the XLR??!!?

No Effect Loop... Meh... It would be nice, But I can live without that

The looper and the Rhythm (drum machine) are on a "block" now... meaning you must use one of the slots where an effect or model would normally reside, meaning you would have to have a pretty bare effect chain to use both the looper and the rhythm at the same time.

DSP LIMIT: This IS going to be an issue... expect it!! You can't do an overly robust effect chain... luckily my needs are simple, but I still hit the wall quite often.

The form factor is VERY well done! Looks like they took some of the Ash Bass mods and incorporated them in. It navigates pretty well.
The dedicated tone control on top of the unit is pure genius! Usually just adjusting this will fix most sound differences when switching amplifier sources
The Boost Knob is handy also!

The Editor... if you can call it that...
I kinda have a love/hate relationship with it...
The Good:
It's simple and stream line.
It shows you when an update is available and you can install ONLY the individual effects you want... BRAVO ZOOM!!!
So no flashing or firmware updates.
Just click and add to unit.
The Bad:
You can not build patches like you could with the older G3 software.
It is only for viewing, arranging, and backing up your patches...
You can't see the signal chain nor make changes...
I hope I am missing something here also, because this seems like a giant step backwards in an editor!!
The unit can not be powered by USB like the G3... Booo!!

I realize it sounds like a lot of negatives but the unit does have a lot going for it...
It is a nice size for portability.
It sounds pretty darn good for 250/300 bucks. Especially the MS-800... they really did a decent job on that... But I also don't consider myself to be a "tone-hound" like most can be so YMMV
Zoom is sticking to their commitment in releasing regular and free updates. THANK YOU ZOOM!!!

If you guys find I am wrong in the functionality issues I listed please chime in.

So anyway... I had a few minutes to burn, these are my ramblings, YMMV on all... Later!
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:30 pm

Hello. I recently bought a zoom g5n and I'm wondering how do you get the best sound out of it by that I mean do you use a monitor a PA system or a guitar amplifier. I have a bugera V5 tube amplifier spider 4 75 watt a solid-state amplifier. The g5n does not work good with any of those or through my home theater or really even through the Sony hundred-dollar earphones that I bought. So I was wondering if maybe someone could steer me in the direction of a amp or a monitor or a PA system this is in an apartment of small apartment .I do my shopping at Guitar Center and I'm willing to trade the two amps in plus some money on a guaranteed amplifier that the g5n patches and preset well most of them play pretty good through I am having little success at getting a good tone or sound out of my Stratocaster American Stratocaster and my two Hundred $ Ibanez dual humbucker if anybody knows for sure even if you need anything that I can hook that pedal up to that gets an excellent awesome Heavenly tone out of it let me know I would greatly appreciate it after all these years of fooling with pedals and this and that and di boxes and Transformers blah blah blah. Thank you
0 x

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:13 am

I don't personally own a G5n, but by design it seems this unit should give reasonable results through a pair of monitor or
PA FRFR speakers. They are the most output neutral concerning tone coloration, in that amp-sims will be more accurately
represented during simulation. So assuming you are in-fact using amp-sims in the G5n, I'm a little surprised your home
theater amp wasn't sufficient for you. My suggestion is, plug in a decent set of headphones, preferably cans if you have
them, or headphones of good quality. Then build your chain using them to a point you think you're satisfied with your tone,
and then connect the G5n to your home theater amp again. Verify your amp is in 2 channel mode and all DSP processing
are off. Most importantly, the output mode setting associated to the amp-sim parameters in the G5n is crucial, and must be
set appropriately for best results. Your tone should translate reasonably well from your headphones to your home-theater
amp if your speakers are in good shape. But usually a final EQ tweak is needed for fine tuning here. Once, or if, lol, you
have established that the G5n sounds acceptable to you in this configuration, you will then have a general sense of how it
performs with monitors and FRFR like speakers, and may proceed in that direction if you think you can achieve acceptable,
or better results in this configuration. As for traditional guitar amps, you could end up spending a very long time trying to
find one you're pleased with. They are also the least output neutral, and amp-sims are represented inaccurately. This all is
not so applicable if you don't use amp-sims tho, and if that's the case, then rather than suggest any particular amp i personally
prefer (which you mightn't agree on), is to try and at-least find an amp that has an FX Loop. These Multi FX units tend to sound
better going straight into the FX Returns of FX Loops, rather than the front-end inputs. Obviously there's 2 amps to consider in
stereo as-well, and others may steer towards keyboard amps as their choice here. Many keyboard amps are stereo, have full
range speakers, and built to a guitar combo amp like form factor. There's plenty of choices to choose from for you here, with
their own unique sets of pro's and con's, so its mostly about choosing the right pro's and con's that best suit you.
Last edited by NucleusX on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:39 am

NucleusX wrote:I don't personally own a G5n, but by design it seems this unit should give reasonable results through a pair of monitor or PA FRFR speakers. They are
the most output neutral concerning tone coloration, in that amp-sims will be more accurately represented during simulation. So assuming you are in-fact
using amp-sims in the G5n, I'm a little surprised your home-theater amp wasn't sufficient for you. My suggestion is, plug in a decent set of headphones,
preferably cans if you have them, or headphones of good quality. Then build your chain using them to a point you think you're satisfied with your tone,
and then connect the G5n to your home-theater amp again. Verify your amp is in 2 channel mode and all DSP processing are off. Most importantly, the
output mode setting associated to the amp-sim parameters in the G5n is crucial, and must be set appropriately for best results. Your tone should translate
reasonably well from your headphones to your home-theater amp if your speakers are in good shape. But usually a final EQ tweak is needed for fine tuning
here. Once, or if, lol, you have established that the G5n sounds acceptable to you in this configuration, you will then have a general sense of how it performs
with monitors and FRFR like speakers, and may proceed in that direction if you think you can achieve acceptable, or better results in this configuration.
As for traditional guitar amps, you could end up spending a very long time trying to find one you're pleased with. They are also the least output neutral, and
amp-sims are represented inaccurately. This all is not so applicable if you don't use amp-sims tho, and if that's the case, then rather than suggest any particular
amp i personally prefer (which you mightn't agree on), is to try and at-least find an amp that has an FX Loop. These Multi FX units tend to sound better going
straight into the FX Returns of FX Loops, rather than the front-end inputs. Obviously there's 2 amps to consider in stereo as-well, and others may steer towards
keyboard amps as their choice here. Many keyboard amps are stereo, have full range speakers, and built to a guitar combo amp like form factor. There's plenty
of choices to choose from for you here, with their own unique sets of pro's and con's, so its mostly about choosing the right pro's and con's that best suit you.
I have a pair of
7506 sonys..some times they work on certain presets..the home theater small 20 watt speakers don't handle all that sound at a decent level ($99 rca home theater)..they rattlle or distort easily...to my way of thinking, the g5n is a guitar pedal, so it should work playing on stage with a guitar amp..??
There are no effects loop input and output jacks in this pedal...The argument would be i suppose, it's a guitar pedal it was made for guitar and a guitar amp..there's are no xlr ins or outs no line level mic. level instrument level switch, therefore you'd think simply a guitar effects live or practice pedal..I would prefer to wait and find someone on a forum who has, with this pedal, success with a guitar amp (either tube or ss).
0 x

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:19 pm

1. Sounds like building tones with those headphones should be sufficient.

2. Regardless of omitted XLR, the G5n integrates both into guitar amps and mixing consoles via 1/4 inch, provided
you've payed close attention to differing configurations in relation to cables and parameter settings within the G5n.
It should have the ability to sense impedance's, and internally adjust for line/mic/stomp level conditions automatically.

3. By FX Loop, I was referring to an FX Loop on the guitar amp, and not the G5n. Connecting the G5n's output/s directly
to the FX Loop return jacks on the guitar amp should yield best results, and this goes for most MFX units.

4. The target role for this product is for home practice and recording use. Although, generally it can be used in both
recording and live use. So no, its not specifically made for a guitar amps. As with many other MFX units, its multi-role.
You shouldn't be thinking of the G5n as a typical discreet pedal from a pedal board, its not that simple I'm afraid.

5. I don't think i would need to own a G5n specifically to be able to provide you any assistance in this instance. Let
me see, I've owned the G5, G3X, MS-100BT, CDR-70, MS-50G, MS-60B, G9.2TT, G7.1UT, A3. POD HD, Boss GT100
to name a few. They're all MFX units with differences, but generally speaking my advice applies to all of them.

Sorry if you can't take anything useful from any of that, and it seems your mind might be set on guitar amps anyways.
I think most people would choose tube over SS, that's pretty obvious. Goodluck chasing the tone dragon. ;)
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:03 pm

NucleusX wrote:I don't personally own a G5n, but by design it seems this unit should give reasonable results through a pair of monitor or
PA FRFR speakers. They are the most output neutral concerning tone coloration, in that amp-sims will be more accurately
represented during simulation. So assuming you are in-fact using amp-sims in the G5n, I'm a little surprised your home
theater amp wasn't sufficient for you. My suggestion is, plug in a decent set of headphones, preferably cans if you have
them, or headphones of good quality. Then build your chain using them to a point you think you're satisfied with your tone,
and then connect the G5n to your home theater amp again. Verify your amp is in 2 channel mode and all DSP processing
are off. Most importantly, the output mode setting associated to the amp-sim parameters in the G5n is crucial, and must be
set appropriately for best results. Your tone should translate reasonably well from your headphones to your home-theater
amp if your speakers are in good shape. But usually a final EQ tweak is needed for fine tuning here. Once, or if, lol, you
have established that the G5n sounds acceptable to you in this configuration, you will then have a general sense of how it
performs with monitors and FRFR like speakers, and may proceed in that direction if you think you can achieve acceptable,
or better results in this configuration. As for traditional guitar amps, you could end up spending a very long time trying to
find one you're pleased with. They are also the least output neutral, and amp-sims are represented inaccurately. This all is
not so applicable if you don't use amp-sims tho, and if that's the case, then rather than suggest any particular amp i personally
prefer (which you mightn't agree on), is to try and at-least find an amp that has an FX Loop. These Multi FX units tend to sound
better going straight into the FX Returns of FX Loops, rather than the front-end inputs. Obviously there's 2 amps to consider in
stereo as-well, and others may steer towards keyboard amps as their choice here. Many keyboard amps are stereo, have full
range speakers, and built to a guitar combo amp like form factor. There's plenty of choices to choose from for you here, with
their own unique sets of pro's and con's, so its mostly about choosing the right pro's and con's that best suit you.
The other thought here from what I've read on other forums is to try downloading new patches and stomp effects from zoomna.com..and listen and keep the ones that sound good..I mean I saw a salesman at guitar center play all the presets on a $99 peach vypr and I thought I was in a nightclub (had to order a drink)lol..it was that good of a tone from a cheaper amp..cheaper than my setup...some say it's a guitar matter, that is the pedal and guitar don't match..some say it's old strings..impedance, cables..speakers ,tubes, etc.etc.I just like I said need to hear straight from experience that someone has an amp that the pedal works good through (no ghost notes, hollow echoes, too sensitive to gain, the b string overwhelming the other strings etc..also the pitchshifter and the harmonized don't play chords too well...correct me if I'm wrong (other forum me
mbers)...
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:06 pm

NucleusX wrote:1. Sounds like building tones with those headphones should be sufficient.

2. Regardless of omitted XLR, the G5n integrates both into guitar amps and mixing consoles via 1/4 inch, provided
you've payed close attention to differing configurations in relation to cables and parameter settings within the G5n.
It should have the ability to sense impedance's, and internally adjust for line/mic/stomp level conditions automatically.

3. By FX Loop, I was referring to an FX Loop on the guitar amp, and not the G5n. Connecting the G5n's output/s directly
to the FX Loop return jacks on the guitar amp should yield best results, and this goes for most MFX units.

4. The target role for this product is for home practice and recording use. Although, generally it can be used in both
recording and live use. So no, its not specifically made for a guitar amps. As with many other MFX units, its multi-role.
You shouldn't be thinking of the G5n as a typical discreet pedal from a pedal board, its not that simple I'm afraid.

5. I don't think i would need to own a G5n specifically to be able to provide you any assistance in this instance. Let
me see, I've owned the G5, G3X, MS-100BT, CDR-70, MS-50G, MS-60B, G9.2TT, G7.1UT, A3. POD HD, Boss GT100
to name a few. They're all MFX units with differences, but generally speaking my advice applies to all of them.

Sorry if you can't take anything useful from any of that, and it seems your mind might be set on guitar amps anyways.
I think most people would choose tube over SS, that's pretty obvious. Goodluck chasing the tone dragon. ;)
Thanks..
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:13 pm

NucleusX wrote:I don't personally own a G5n, but by design it seems this unit should give reasonable results through a pair of monitor or

Could you suggest (preferably from guitar center) the type, make model and exactly what type of powered speakers (floor monitors,pa.systems, powered loudspeakers)?I did research and most are out of my range money wise... $100-$200 is what I had in mind for low watt 12" speaker, single unit...
0 x

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:07 am

The main point i was trying to put across, is that the G5n is first and foremost an amp modeler, as-well as an FX unit. People who
wish to use various amp-sims on a modeler need to consider those type of speakers because as stated, are the most neutral, and
thus are able to represent each amp-sim as authentically as possible from one to the next. If you intend on using amp-sims, and
have a particular amp in mind that you need to simulate and always have in your signal chain, then you should consider full range
speakers. May it be monitors, FRFR speakers, or PA's, they all have tweeters, and cover the full range of human hearing. I don't
have any specific recommendations of brand for you, as that is purely a personal and subjective matter. But i do recommend you
do your homework first before unknowingly jumping into buyers remorse. If amp-sim authenticity isn't a concern to you, or have
no intention in using them what-so-ever and just intend on using the G5n exclusively as an FX unit and relying on a real amp instead,
then you should mainly consider guitar amps, but keep in mind that your choice here will greatly affect the amp-sims reproduction
should you ever want to use them. These senario's are the distinctions i am hoping to make clear to you to help you decide.
You can't make a decisive speaker and/or amp choice until you have decided on which of these 2 senario's you fall into.

Amp-sim, or no amp-sim ?

Amp sim = Yes. Monitors, PA's, FRFR, Headphones. (all full range speakers).
Amp sim = No. Guitar Combo/Head/Stack. (speakers with limited range).

Lastly. Due to a sea of mediocre custom patches to choose from, and varying environments they might've been created in, i think most
people end up generally bored with what there is to offer there. By all means go for it, but i doubt you'll find them much use. Most end
up crafting their own patches in the end, which is a good way to get to know your MFX unit, and learn how to dial it the way YOU like it.
Although, they can be handy if you need a direct way to get to a signature tone from a specific artist you might be hunting.
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks...of course used amps and powered speakers should be in my range...The champ with 2 6L6's, 1 12ax7 $349 @guitar center new, but it also has amp models etc..as for new patches I would want to try the ones out that sounded like a song that i learned on the radio or CD and then tweak it..I've been hunched over spinning knobs and pushing buttons on my digitech rp355 for so long near 5years I guess, I kinda want someone or some machine to do that for me...lol...
0 x

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:05 pm

Buying an amp and or speakers for yourself is mostly a personal choice, as some others would say, but it can be a difficult one also.
I could make the argument that given enough time tweaking parameters, I'm able to dial up respectable tones on most MFX units
and any amp or speakers i choose to couple with it, so long as my purchase choices weren't heavily on the cheap. No-one wants to
spend all day tweaking parameters and too many options can cause creative paralysis, so i understand your position there. Your
initial question was what amps/speakers do you recommend for the G5n. Your question isn't as simple at it appears, and i'm sure
more experienced guitarists reading this would hesitate in responding to you knowing how subjective your question really is.
The general objective answer is, pretty much all decent quality choices have the potential to satisfy someone or another out there
after having tweaked (and hopefully not much) their parameters to arrive at that satisfaction. You still haven't answered wether
you where going to rely on amp-sims or not, which will narrow your choices even more as you zero in a worthy choice after much
consideration. Upside bonus to monitors is you also have the right kind of speakers for full range recording and playback, but that's
assuming you will rely on amp-sims for your core amp. Upside bonus to traditional guitar amps is they are worthy for live work, but
won't help you in the recording side of things, plus the fact amp-sims won't be authentic. Most experienced guitarists won't, and
shouldn't rush into this kind of purchase based on some subjective opinions by others on a forum. They take information from many
sources before pulling the trigger on a decision, as its most likely the most important decision they will have to make in determining
that its right for them sound-wsie, and justifies the money they threw at it. It deserves and demands that thorough level of consideration.
So my advice to you is answer the question to yourself of amp-sim or no amp-sim, and then go from there. Test as much as you can in
person, and read the sh!t out of online forums and reviews or videos of specific amps you've gravitated towards. Its much better in
the end to have, and refine a personal criteria you would like to see met without compromise, rather than be told what you need.
0 x

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:08 pm

mojo_plasma wrote: I hope I am missing something here also, because this seems like a giant step backwards in an editor!!
Nope, don't think you've missed anything here, its widely discussed how limited it is compared to the original G5.
Zoom has had some internal changes going on as a company the past few years. I'm not sure if its caused them
to change their designers between cycles, or just a general reduction in focus concerning guitar FX. Whatever
it is, it seems pretty obvious they are making some conservative cutbacks in guitar related products. Another thing
that stands out to me, is that the G5n is Zooms first MFX pedal that changes the balance between FX slots and DSP.
You can max out the G5n with fewer FX slots than any other pedal they have, which intuitively suggests that the
priority here is resolution and definition over simultaneous FX. I'm all for higher res algorithms, but i doubt i'd
trade that many FX slots and deal with hitting the DSP wall often. So yeh, the past few years, Zoom have been
making all kinds of head scratching moves ever since the G9.2TT days. The last series that included the G5 where
quite successful, and most likely my favorite Zoom platform up till now. Although they never finalized a flagship
version beyond the G5, they delivered a great product concerning hardware and software features, and the marriage
of the 2, and with more priority given to simultaneous FX capabilities than resolution. So in that context, the G5n
certainly is an odd ball, and Zoom won't be doing its sales any favor's not delivering a fully featured editor to go with it.

Thanks for posting your thoughts and input on the G5n, this thread needs more active owners posting their experiences !
0 x