Zoom G5n Discussion.

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Sacco_Belmonte
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: *All New* Zoom G5n.

Post by Sacco_Belmonte » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:23 am

NucleusX wrote:The intent and subject of this thread in particular, was aimed squarely at the Zoom G5n and its recent release.
Specific topics and issues outside this discussion should be posted elsewhere, or in a new thread perhaps.
First of all, I must say I love these zoom units. They're very intuitive and their models are way better than Boss for instance at a very affordable price.

To me is very important to discuss about the old units here. There's no way Zoom is making me buy anything else from them if they don't solve the noise problem in my actual units. I don't see a reason (other than marketing) not to do so.

I've written many detailed reports to zoom, using spectrum analysis to show the noise on my G5, MS100BT and my A3

No answer other than "the information was passed to the tech support".....and that was over a year already. I'm still waiting for new firmwares. Hell I even talked personally with one of Zoom's marketing managers (Mr Hirokazu Iida) at MusikMesse as I was working there for ImageLine.

Is clear they don't wanna fix these units and focus their efforts on the G5n.

Well....don't tell me I didn't warn you when you find a flaw in your G5n, zoom does nothing about it and later on they wanna make you buy their new "flagship"...ok?

If zoom fixes these problems I swear I'm gonna make a good youtube video praising them....right now I'm prone to do a video that says "don't buy any zoom gear until they solve their issues" how about that?
0 x
i7 3770k OC at 4.6Ghz
ASUS Mobo
32Gb RAM
2x Presonus Firestudio Project. (working like a charm at low latency)
GTX 980 SC
4 x SSDs - System and all soft run from these.
2 x 6TB Storage
3 Monitors
KORG PadKontrol
KORG NanoKontrol
M-Audio KS88
Presonus Faderport.
Presonus BlueTube Dual
Bunch of Mics, Bunch of Headphones.
Zoom G5, A3, MT100BT.
Boss GT-8 (used, it sucks compared to the G5)
14 Guitars - 2 Basses - Lapguitar - Uke

Sacco_Belmonte
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Zoom G5n Discussion.

Post by Sacco_Belmonte » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:32 am

viewtopic.php?t=22632

Another thread about it, this time is the CDR70

I know for a fact the whine doesn't happen internally, is only on the DA conversion. If I record with ASIO the sound comes up perfectly clean.

Maybe they've chosen a poor DA converter. And that's probably something you cannot fix with a firmware.

So....no more Zoom stuff for me unless they prove they solved this on the G5n or hopefully they fix that on all the other units but I haven't had much faith about it.

I just hate buying products after doing an extensive research and watch lots of high quality reviews to find there is still a problem and the company does nothing about it.
0 x
i7 3770k OC at 4.6Ghz
ASUS Mobo
32Gb RAM
GTX 980 SC
2 x 6TB Storage
3 Monitors
KORG PadKontrol
KORG NanoKontrol
M-Audio KS88
Presonus Faderport.
Presonus BlueTube Dual
Zoom G5, A3, MT100BT.

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:46 am

NucleusX wrote:Buying an amp and or speakers for yourself is mostly a personal choice, as some others would say, but it can be a difficult one also.
I could make the argument that given enough time tweaking parameters, I'm able to dial up respectable tones on most MFX units
and any amp or speakers i choose to couple with it, so long as my purchase choices weren't heavily on the cheap. No-one wants to
spend all day tweaking parameters and too many options can cause creative paralysis, so i understand your position there. Your
initial question was what amps/speakers do you recommend for the G5n. Your question isn't as simple at it appears, and i'm sure
more experienced guitarists reading this would hesitate in responding to you knowing how subjective your question really is.
The general objective answer is, pretty much all decent quality choices have the potential to satisfy someone or another out there
after having tweaked (and hopefully not much) their parameters to arrive at that satisfaction. You still haven't answered wether
you where going to rely on amp-sims or not, which will narrow your choices even more as you zero in a worthy choice after much
consideration. Upside bonus to monitors is you also have the right kind of speakers for full range recording and playback, but that's
assuming you will rely on amp-sims for your core amp. Upside bonus to traditional guitar amps is they are worthy for live work, but
won't help you in the recording side of things, plus the fact amp-sims won't be authentic. Most experienced guitarists won't, and
shouldn't rush into this kind of purchase based on some subjective opinions by others on a forum. They take information from many
sources before pulling the trigger on a decision, as its most likely the most important decision they will have to make in determining
that its right for them sound-wsie, and justifies the money they threw at it. It deserves and demands that thorough level of consideration.
So my advice to you is answer the question to yourself of amp-sim or no amp-sim, and then go from there. Test as much as you can in
person, and read the sh!t out of online forums and reviews or videos of specific amps you've gravitated towards. Its much better in
the end to have, and refine a personal criteria you would like to see met without compromise, rather than be told what you need.
Like I said money and fear of the unknown...I have a tascam oo8 pocket studio, so that says pa. ,monitor etc..but I don't know if amp-Sims sound full or rich enough..I went to guitar center one time and tried out 8-10 guitars before choosing one..one of the salesmen there made sure that I heard his dislike of me doing it that way, having said that,I'm kinda wary about "experimenting" for too long there...how will I know what the amp -Sims are going to do unless I "experiment" with different speakers and the g5n...maybe my inexperience is making me go through too much...lol...but, again, $100-200 for one used 12" powered speaker seems the right move...if they're good for that price...been dealing with guitar center for years and I may be able to take it back if not satisfied...they got a load of used amps, so I could just take my pedal there and go down the line one by one and test it out ...I'll let you know how it all turns out..and oh, I just fool around at home with the guitar and harmonica, just a hobby..so no secrets as to my guitar abilities....
0 x

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:49 pm

Sacco_Belmonte wrote: So....no more Zoom stuff for me unless they prove they solved this on the G5n or hopefully they fix that on all the other units but I haven't had much faith about it.

I just hate buying products after doing an extensive research and watch lots of high quality reviews to find there is still a problem and the company does nothing about it.
I think there's a high chance that this issue isn't present on the G5n. I couldn't tell you that with %100 certainty, as i don't own one to experiment.
But it seems Zoom have changed their hardware/software DSP platform for the G5n since all those other pedals you previously mentioned, which
all shared the same DSP platform. So there's a pretty good chance that you won't see this problem replicated on this newer platform, hopefully.
I haven't personally come across any reports of this being a problem with the G5n either. so check one out if your curious, you might like it !
Last edited by NucleusX on Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:05 pm

robertdonithan wrote:
Like I said money and fear of the unknown...I have a tascam oo8 pocket studio, so that says pa. ,monitor etc..but I don't know if amp-Sims sound full or rich enough..I went to guitar center one time and tried out 8-10 guitars before choosing one..one of the salesmen there made sure that I heard his dislike of me doing it that way, having said that,I'm kinda wary about "experimenting" for too long there...how will I know what the amp -Sims are going to do unless I "experiment" with different speakers and the g5n...maybe my inexperience is making me go through too much...lol...but, again, $100-200 for one used 12" powered speaker seems the right move...if they're good for that price...been dealing with guitar center for years and I may be able to take it back if not satisfied...they got a load of used amps, so I could just take my pedal there and go down the line one by one and test it out ...I'll let you know how it all turns out..and oh, I just fool around at home with the guitar and harmonica, just a hobby..so no secrets as to my guitar abilities....
Can be a daunting task, so i wish you all the best ! As for your 12" powered speaker, as long as its in reasonable condition, it will be a
safer choice for you in working with amp-sims and general usability. Not saying it will be a more inferior/superior choice compared to a
particular guitar amp, but it will get you to a good result a lot faster, with a lot less tweaking. It seems Zoom has payed more attention
to amp-sims this go round, so if there was a Zoom pedal to have the fullest or richer sound in this department, it should be the G5n.
Just don't forget to set your output mode to Line when testing them !
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:21 pm

NucleusX wrote:
robertdonithan wrote:
Can be a daunting task, so i wish you all the best ! As for your 12" powered speaker, as long as its in reasonable condition, it will be a
safer choice for you in working with amp-sims and general usability. Not saying it will be a more inferior/superior choice compared to a
particular guitar amp, but it will get you to a good result a lot faster, with a lot less tweaking. It seems Zoom has payed more attention
to amp-sims this go round, so if there was a Zoom pedal to have the fullest or richer sound in this department, it should be the G5n.
Just don't forget to set your output mode to Line when testing them !
How or where is line power? I only have two 1/4" and one 1/8" headphone output..is it in the settings somewhere?
0 x

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:13 pm

I'm referring to the output mode which you should be able to find within the amp-sim settings and parameters
of whatever amp-sim you might be using at the time. You could check the manual for this if you're not certain
how to find it. Simply put, you have output modes to select from such as Combo, Stack, Line, ect that you should
set according to the type of amplifier you intend on using, which will drastically alter the amp-sim tone. If your
connected to monitors, powered speakers and headphones, the amp-sim output mode should be set to "Line",
which provides the most optimal signal conditions for those kind of amp and speakers. This is a common feature
among many MFX units with amp-sims, and is something you really need to know to get the best out of them.

Hope that explains things better for you. :D
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Gotcha but this here in the parameters pdf about the cab -SIM says mic. on-off...which according to a pdf file on parameters for cabinet Sims is used for guitar amp when off (to "create best tone") or on for headphones and monitors I guess "line" power..I checked the manual and see nothing about those line or instrument settings for a guitar amp-Sim...I can use a di-box to get the ohms down to 600 before going into a powered speaker...some people had said on other forums to use the headphone output into a guitar amp, so maybe the same for powered speakers...too tired to do anything like shopping today here in Baltimore we've had a terrible hot humid summer and it continues to drain energy (67 years old here)....so next week I hope to look for speakers...
0 x

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:14 pm

Right, so I've downloaded the manual, and can't find them settings in the amp-sim parameter
area. I found this "When using headphones, turn ON the MIC parameter of the cabinet effect."
I'd be very surprised if Zoom replaced the setting i was talking about with this setup. Would be
a huge step back for them. I also realized Zoom may be labeling "Line" as "Direct", so sorry if
that caused any confusion, see if you can find a "Direct" selection. My guess is it will be in global
settings, but Zoom may have put it elsewhere. The manual wasn't very helpful for that particular
information. Of course, i may be wrong assuming Zoom hasn't modified this setting, but its been
present in almost every pedal they've made the past 10 years, so changing this would be quite
odd. Maybe an actual G5n owner could step up and elaborate more for you with a reply.....
If you can't find it, or no-one has posted a solution or explanation here, you can email Zoom at
info@zoom-na.com and ask them how to configure the output type for monitors vs guitar amps.
As for the actual connections from the G5n, you should only need a standard 1/4 inch cable, or
2 for stereo, to connect to a powered speaker which the powered speaker should have. I wouldn't
be so concerned with impedance's for the moment, and forget the headphone jack idea for a
while. Its not exactly an ideal solution, so maybe save that one as a last resort if needed later.
last idea i have, is them settings might actually be associated in the MIC setting area now, so
have a good look in there, and cabinet settings. The original G5 didn't have separate amp and
cabinet blocks, but you could change the output type in the cabinet section from memory.
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:03 am

NucleusX wrote:Right, so I've downloaded the manual, and can't find them settings in the amp-sim parameter
area. I found this "When using headphones, turn ON the MIC parameter of the cabinet effect."
I'd be very surprised if Zoom replaced the setting i was talking about with this setup. Would be
a huge step back for them. I also realized Zoom may be labeling "Line" as "Direct", so sorry if
that caused any confusion, see if you can find a "Direct" selection. My guess is it will be in global
settings, but Zoom may have put it elsewhere. The manual wasn't very helpful for that particular
information. Of course, i may be wrong assuming Zoom hasn't modified this setting, but its been
present in almost every pedal they've made the past 10 years, so changing this would be quite
odd. Maybe an actual G5n owner could step up and elaborate more for you with a reply.....
If you can't find it, or no-one has posted a solution or explanation here, you can email Zoom at
info@zoom-na.com and ask them how to configure the output type for monitors vs guitar amps.
As for the actual connections from the G5n, you should only need a standard 1/4 inch cable, or
2 for stereo, to connect to a powered speaker which the powered speaker should have. I wouldn't
be so concerned with impedance's for the moment, and forget the headphone jack idea for a
while. Its not exactly an ideal solution, so maybe save that one as a last resort if needed later.
last idea i have, is them settings might actually be associated in the MIC setting area now, so
have a good look in there, and cabinet settings. The original G5 didn't have separate amp and
cabinet blocks, but you could change the output type in the cabinet section from memory.
The "MIC." on- off for the speaker cabinet is also for when using monitors..I guess they mean speakers not headphones..it says on my parameter download "turn on when using headphones and monitors"...
0 x

Sacco_Belmonte
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Sacco_Belmonte » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:59 am

NucleusX wrote:
Sacco_Belmonte wrote: So....no more Zoom stuff for me unless they prove they solved this on the G5n or hopefully they fix that on all the other units but I haven't had much faith about it.

I think there's a high chance that this issue isn't present on the G5n. I couldn't tell you that with %100 certainty, as i don't own one to experiment.
But it seems Zoom have changed their hardware/software DSP platform for the G5n since all those other pedals you previously mentioned, which
all shared the same DSP platform. So there's a pretty good chance that you won't see this problem replicated on this newer platform, hopefully.
I haven't personally come across any reports of this being a problem with the G5n either. so check one out if your curious, you might like it !
I'm sure is a sweet unit. I might try it one day in a store before considering it.
0 x
i7 3770k OC at 4.6Ghz
ASUS Mobo
32Gb RAM
GTX 980 SC
2 x 6TB Storage
3 Monitors
KORG PadKontrol
KORG NanoKontrol
M-Audio KS88
Presonus Faderport.
Presonus BlueTube Dual
Zoom G5, A3, MT100BT.

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:03 am

1474562227849.jpg
To nucleusx...

I bought a harbinger vari series powered loudspeaker v2212 600 watt 12" speaker..haven't opened the box..couldn't find real deep reviews on it (about playing with amp simulator)..maybe you can try to find me a forum on that particular model...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

mojo_plasma
new to this board
new to this board

Post by mojo_plasma » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:55 am

I e-mailed zoom to see if they were working on making the editor more flexible and capable...
Short answer... no, it is what it is and all it's ever gonna be...
So :(
0 x

mojo_plasma
new to this board
new to this board

Post by mojo_plasma » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:16 am

robertdonithan wrote:
1474562227849.jpg
To nucleusx...

I bought a harbinger vari series powered loudspeaker v2212 600 watt 12" speaker..haven't opened the box..couldn't find real deep reviews on it (about playing with amp simulator)..maybe you can try to find me a forum on that particular model...
That should sound good!
I have had good results with everything I have played through.
be sure to add a cab block to your chain and (My preference) be sure to turn on mic sim in cab block!

YMMV, but this is how I would start
It'd start out with just 2 blocks. An amp (JCM-800 for me ;)) and the matching cab block with mic sim on.
Leave all the settings at default.
Set the tone knob and master to noon on the zoom.
Set the mid and high on the harbinger to noon and the low to about about 9 oclock, or 1/4 full (These cabs tend to be bass-heavy) and the volume very low to begin
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:25 am

1474594913190.jpg
mojo_plasma wrote:
robertdonithan wrote:
1474562227849.jpg
To nucleusx...

That should sound good!
I have had good results with everything I have played through.
be sure to add a cab block to your chain and (My preference) be sure to turn on mic sim in cab block!

YMMV, but this is how I would start
It'd start out with just 2 blocks. An amp (JCM-800 for me ;)) and the matching cab block with mic sim on.
Leave all the settings at default.
Set the tone knob and master to noon on the zoom.
Set the mid and high on the harbinger to noon and the low to about about 9 oclock, or 1/4 full (These cabs tend to be bass-heavy) and the volume very low to begin
Too late...had poor results on everything but the acoustic SIM. ..did tweak just about everything. .did start out on 101 (empty) and built..factory patches didn't work..I took it back the same day and traded in for a fender hot rod deville 4x10 (used)..now there's the cure!! Come to find aout,luckily really, it had an effects loop..that does the trick..I still gotta tweak but the deville responds better, like you'd think it would from parameter changes..I thought maybe that harbinger needed to pass through the computer studio..it mainly fizzed or rattled only when playing ...i guess it was speaker related
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Karmanaut
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Karmanaut » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:50 pm

I bought a Zoom G5 last January, it worked fine until about June. After writing/downloading patches, one of the displays would not show the effect graphics properly, it would not show entirely or be greyed out, totally unreadable. Only some effects though, in the first display screen. I thought maybe it was a "bug" from downloading patches but I reset the unit to factory and it was the same. Everything else in the unit worked fine. Just the incomplete graphics.
Zoom changed their Canadian Distributor at that time so when I contacted the new distributor, they replied to send it in, it would be covered under warranty. ok.
So after a month they sent an email stating they would send me a replacement G5N. I said great, but I sent them a G5. They said the G5 is no longer available. I went on Amazon just to check the price and it was no longer on there, or on the website from the company I bought it from. Poof!
I have read in an earlier post that some (all?) of the development team for the G5 left Zoom, so the company is concentrating on the G5N.
So now I have a brand new G5N, but I kinda wish I could have the G5 back, and use it as is, I like most of the features better. I was gonna mod it anyway.
Regardless, I'm gonna use the G5N, I do like some of the features but not being editable on my computer is a bummer.
I just thought I would relate my experience with Zoom and their product, thanks for all the info in this thread, I do appreciate it.
0 x

NucleusX

Post by NucleusX » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:10 am

Sorry to hear that Karmanaut. Usually an upgraded replacement is a great thing, but in this case, it seems
its not. I think the general consensus now is that most favor the original G5 over the G5n, myself included.
1 x