Q4N Battery Issues

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Julzology
new to this board
new to this board

Q4N Battery Issues

Post by Julzology » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:51 am

Recently, when my camera is fully charged when I have it set to record HD 1080/30 24Mbps, WAV 96kHz/24bit I have only 11 minutes of recording time. When I change the settings to the lowest resolution on the camera for both audio and video then I have 1 hour of recording time.

Is my battery failing? I've only had this thing about 6 months. I wouldn't have thought the battery would have died already. Any thoughts?
0 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Q4N Battery Issues

Post by NucleusX » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:56 am

I could be wrong in the Q4N's case, but i do know with consumer electronics in general, increasing quality and performance settings
on devices usually translates to hardware resources working harder, thus requiring more power to operate at these higher settings, and
draining your battery faster. It could very well be just its normal operating nature. Maybe do some comparisons with another, or new
battery to compare remaining charge times ? Is it the same as when you first bought it ? You need a reference baseline to compare to.
If its an older or well used battery, it could be deteriorating and need replacing. Batteries don't typically fail instantly, they gradually
degrade over time depending on how many re-charge cycles they've had. I could be wrong there too, lol, ultimately its down to the
type of chosen chemical composition manufacturer's install within the battery, they degrade in various ways. Scuse my ranting... :lol:
0 x

Julzology
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Julzology » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:20 pm

I am aware that increasing the performance settings will result in shorter battery life but when we first got it (remember it's only about 6 months old) we were getting more than an hour of recording at that level. Now, we get 11 minutes. The manual even says that on the lowest settings I should have 3 hours of recording time. Battery and camera, 6 months old (at least we bought it 6 months ago. No telling how long it was sitting around Amazon's warehouse). Probably only 3 or 4 recharges in that time and the last two times we recharged we got no more than 10 or 11 minutes of recording on a full charge.

I'm just surprised the battery has already started failing but I'm going to buy a new one and see what happens. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
0 x

RobertW
new to this board
new to this board

Post by RobertW » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:25 pm

I suspect the battery was not given it's initial 3 hour charge before using it.
Allow the battery to fully discharge and then give it an uninterrupted 3 hours.
0 x

Julzology
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Julzology » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:07 am

I purchased a new battery. Charged it fully. Same exact result. 11 minutes of recording time on the highest resolution. Something is just not right.
0 x

Julzology
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Julzology » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:01 am

OMG, can you see me smacking myself in the head? Apparently my husband has never deleted any video ever since we bought the camera. 11 minutes wasn't battery life, it was the sim card being full. Deleted all of the videos and voila! 4 hours of recording time. Doh!
0 x

RobertW
new to this board
new to this board

Post by RobertW » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:47 am

I move files to computer everytime i charge.
0 x