Zoom RT-323 pattern tempo

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
watari banzai
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom RT-323 pattern tempo

Post by watari banzai » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:31 am

hi all! good to be on board :^:

is there any way to save the tempo setting on the RT-323 with every pattern? as it is, all patterns play back at the tempo that the RT is set to globally, regardless of the tempo in which they were recorded/step programmed. i used to have a yamaha ry20 and i seem to recall that it allowed you to play back patterns at the tempo they were recorded at, with the option to change the tempo on the fly.

the RT-323 doesnt seem to be the most popular rhythmtrak, which is a mystery to me because its the only one with a midi out (afaik), which is sort of a big deal for me. so owners of other RT iterations, please feel free to reply..

zoniopoda omnicolor
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Zoom RT-323 pattern tempo

Post by zoniopoda omnicolor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:43 am

Hi,

I have the RT-223, not the 323. But examining both manuals, several functions may be the same, but not described exactly the same.

In my understanding though, the overall tempo would be global to all patterns. I do not believe that you can edit the individual pattern tempo. In other words, I do not think you can set pattern 000 to say, 120 bpm, and 001 to 121 bpm, and have them both saved separately. If you set the tempo on a pattern, that will affect all the other patterns.

On the other hand, I think that you can edit event data in a “song”. This can allow several event settings (including tempo) to be edited in a saved song. Possibly see page 72 of the RT-323 manual, and pages before that. I can see that in the manual they do not provide the specific tempo event, which is confusing, but they may use “transpose” as an example. So you may be able to scroll through other event names to find tempo, and edit it. If I understand correctly, the event data in a song is specific to the song. The tempo as set in song event data would override the global tempo.

The RT-223 manual says this in “creating songs”:
“HINT: If you enter tempo information at the beginning of a song, the song will always play at that tempo, regardless of current tempo settings”.
(RT-223 manual at p. 43).

And, the 223 manual has a list of “event types” which I did not see in the 323 manual… So the thing to experiment with might be to use song mode and see if the tempo data can be edited/saved there.

watari banzai
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Zoom RT-323 pattern tempo

Post by watari banzai » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:12 am

thanks for replying zoniopoda omnicolor :)

i thought as much--that i would have to do it in song mode. i did come across a mention of being able to change pattern tempos at specific points in a song, but glossed over it as i stay pretty much in pattern mode all the time. or the very fun groove play feature, in which the global tempo applies as well. oh well, still a fun and useful drum machine..

thanks again!