Zoom Q2n; problems with audio at 96k, 24bit

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
TPD
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom Q2n; problems with audio at 96k, 24bit

Post by TPD » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Trying out my new Zoom Q2n, and I've run into a strange problem. I'm hoping someone here may have some thoughts.

When I record with audio set at 96k, 24 bit, the audio on playback is choppy and distorted, at least when I play it back on VLC media player or Adobe Premiere Elements. It's the same at all video settings. The video looks OK. If I play it back on Windows MovieMaker or Media Center, it has no discernible sound.

However, the audio plays back correctly when played through the Q2n itself, or the audio alone in Audacity, the audio editing program. For all tests I used the same file.

Also, the audio plays back correctly on videos recorded using the other two audio settings, 48k, 24 bit and 44.1k, 16 bit.

I'm playing back on a Dell XPS15 running Windows 10 with a NVIDIA card.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TPD
0 x

Fran Guidry
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Zoom Q2n; problems with audio at 96k, 24bit

Post by Fran Guidry » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:14 pm

My suggestion would be to use 48/24 for audio, since there is no audible difference at higher sample rates.

When you experience this problem, are you playing from the SD card or copying the file to the hard disk before playing?

Fran
0 x

TPD
new to this board
new to this board

Post by TPD » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Thank you for the reply.
I copied the files from the camera to the hard drive on my laptop.
TPD
0 x

Fran Guidry
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Fran Guidry » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:55 pm

That eliminates your card reader as the problem with VLC. Are you using the latest 64 bit VLC?

Microsoft apps are quite picky about audio and tend to ignore high sample rates as well as some codecs like AAC.

Any particular reason you want to use 96khz sampling?

Fran
0 x

TPD
new to this board
new to this board

Post by TPD » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:17 pm

It was my first experiment, so I tried the highest quality settings for both audio and video. I reread the website and found an advisory to not use a setting above 44.1 khz/16 bit with Windows programs. But more recent videos shot at 44.1 had no audio in Movie Maker, either. So I will continue testing at different settings. I believe I have the latest version of VLC, but I will check.
0 x

Fran Guidry
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Fran Guidry » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:57 am

If you're on a 64 bit Windows, you might try the 64 bit VLC: https://download.videolan.org/pub/video ... ast/win64/

Fran
0 x