R16 - Dedicated Track for Live Noise Reduction?

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
MuadDib
new to this board
new to this board

R16 - Dedicated Track for Live Noise Reduction?

Post by MuadDib » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:34 am

Just got an R16 for recording a bi-weekly 5-person round-table discussion podcast. Got it for the portability, and I'm hoping it'll prove a worthy upgrade/replacement for my current setup: a Soundcraft EPM8 mixer - which runs out to my Tascam DR-40. We're all on Senheiser e835 mics.

Anyway - we record in a large empty room with a lot of ambient white noise. I'm used to removing this noise in post (Audition), but have always wanted to turn this concept into a reality (don't know it's name):
---Dedicating a mic/channel (directed at the ceiling?) to just the noise, and subtracting that channel from the mix - during live recording. Less to fix in post right?

Anyway, is this something I can finally do with the R16? or - does this require a DAW? I have Studio One Pro, but I doubt my laptop will run it onsite.

I'm already having fun learning the R16 for spoken voice (my EPM8 experience helps that curve), and it's sure to lighten the load in our live setting.
Thanks in advance for any tips/links,
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Re: R16 - Dedicated Track for Live Noise Reduction?

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Zoom has a feature called ZNR which stands for Zoom Noise Reduction.

ZNR works like a gate that opens (lets audio through) and closes (prevents audio from passing through) based on how loud the audio is at the microphone. You set the ZNR noise level so the gate is closed with ambient noise and open when somebody speaks.

The bad news is the recorder records with the gate open or closed so each audio track will have blank gaps. Your idea of dedicating a microphone to record ambient noise is a good one. You can record a low level of ambient background noise to play throughout your recording. That way you can control the ambient noise level and eliminate dead sound when no one is talking. Also you can add some variety by substituting background sounds such as on the farm, in the city, around the campfire and so on.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

MuadDib
new to this board
new to this board

Re: R16 - Dedicated Track for Live Noise Reduction?

Post by MuadDib » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:23 am

Thanks!
1 x