MS-100BT: Important info & Helpful Cheat Sheets

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

MS-100BT: Important info & Helpful Cheat Sheets

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:26 am

I've had my MS-100BT for a couple years, and recently bought a second one. This pedal is impressively versatile, has loads of "character" and does most things very well. It's also a good problem solver. The MS-100BT is the only pedal in the MS series that includes all bass AND guitar amps/dist/fx, plus plus synths and other more general purpose modules. This makes the MS-100BT a good choice for a home studio or multi-instrumentalist.

This post includes some current info about the pedal & the app. I've also added a link to a simple cheat-sheet I made for operating the pedal, and a link to a spreadsheet I just started to help consolidate info about the 217 modules that are available.

IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT MS-100BT & STOMPSHARE STATUS (JUNE 2017)

If you own an MS-100BT, you may already know that ALL the add-ons in the StompShare App are now FREE! Update the app, if you haven't. Then open the settings and click on "Restore Purchases" in the settings of the app.

Both the MS-100BT and the MultiStomp app are officially discontinued and are no longer supported. The MS-100BT is still available on retail sites, so you can still buy the pedal and use the free app to load it with free added effects, but Zoom is not supporting or actively updating either.

At some point, Apple could update the iOS version and the app might stop working entirely. So we'd lose access to the add-ons in the app. As of iOS 10.3.2, the app still works... sort of. It's crashy/buggy on my iPad 4, but seems to work ok on my 64-bit iPod Touch 6. If you have trouble with the app, delete it from your device, then re-download it from the app store. For me, that fixes it, at least temporarily.

The MS-100BT won't hold ALL of the add-ons, but you can load your pedal with MOST of them. I loaded 90 out of the 116 add-ons, and might have been able to fit a few more.

OPERATIONS CHEAT SHEET

Here's a one-page (2-sided) cheatsheet I made that shows all the pedals operational functions. It's a pdf that you can view/download from here:

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com/misc/MS-1 ... TSHEET.pdf

EFFECT LIST SPREADSHEET

I've also started a spreadsheet (with a few sub sheets) that provides a way to organize notes about all the different modules in the pedal. It's similar to what Zoom puts in their documentation, with references to the emulation gear, functions and settings. But this list can be sorted into the order they appear in the pedal, or by the order they appear in the app, or sort by alphabetical order, or your personal rating, etc. It's by no means complete, I'm just sharing it as a starting point, and you can edit it to meet your needs. Here's a link to the zip of the xlsx file.

If you have any ideas for how to improve the sheet, please post in this thread.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com/misc/MS-1 ... O.xlsx.zip

Also, I don't have a google account, but if someone wanted to create a google spreadsheet to share, that's fine with me.

stub
Last edited by stubbsonic on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Re: MS-100BT: Important info & Helpful Cheat Sheets

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Stubbsonic,

Welcome to the forum! Great first post. I don't have a Zoom MS-100BT stomp pedal but I'm sure there are some forum members that do have one.

Thank you for taking time to share your spreadsheet and MS-100BT thoughts.
1 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks, Jim. I look forward to chatting about the MS-100BT with anyone who has one or is thinking about getting one.

The spreadsheet is still a work in progress, and after I've filled it out more, I'll post an updated version (probably mid july 2017).

For me, the value in this process has been in auditioning each module, and getting to know the range of settings and personalities of the effects. For example, I went through the reverbs and found substantial differences between the modules. Some very diffuse (smooth) and some very grainy (where you can hear all the different individual delay "taps"). This let me rate the ones that are the most pleasant and flag the ones that are too messy for me. With a couple of the reverbs, I found that rolling down the HiDMP or TONE made a reverb much more useable.

Another interesting comparison was with the pitch shift and synth modules. There are different combinations of TRACKING SPEED, TRACKING ACCURACY, DYNAMICS and SOUND QUALITY. There are huge differences in those qualities amongst the modules.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by stubbsonic » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:56 pm

I updated the spreadsheet to include better information about the reverbs and delays and changed the rating system to 1-5 (like the familiar stars system).

I may do another pass to improve details about the controls (if I discover anything useful) in the coming weeks.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks for posting all this info.
0 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:39 pm

You're welcome! I hope some MS-100BT user(s) will find it helpful.

By the time you get over 200 modules installed on the unit, it can be tedious to sift through what's there. Having some go-to' modules is useful.
I also have a couple starter chains-- where I have a particular order of effects, then can swap out modules as needed.

As an aside, I'm doing a music theater gig (HAIRSPRAY) and have 29 presets that I go through in the show. Mostly just swapping back & forth between clean (ZNR--> FD Combo), a tremolo (ZNR-->Tremolo-->FD Combo), a drive (just pushing the twin model harder), a chorus, and a swell/delay.

I hit a little snag as I wanted a Swell, but didn't want to start from 100% silence. (i.e., a swell with a wet/dry bal). No luck so far, so I need to tinker more with that.
0 x