questionable ghost tone with g5n multi effects pedal

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

questionable ghost tone with g5n multi effects pedal

Post by robertdonithan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:29 pm

I have a problem with getting good overdriven and distorted patches and ones that I put together, even clean tones..it seems that there's a faint "ghost " sorta tone that plays along faintly with the plucked or strummed strings. I'm certain that it is interfering with the way that the strings are sounding..it sort of clashes with the original tone and makes it muddy and fuzzy..any one know or have an idea what this is?..
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Re: questionable ghost tone with g5n multi effects pedal

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:35 pm

Is it possible the pedal might be receiving faint hum as well as string sound? I would try not sitting so close to other electronics (like the computer display), guitar cable routing, swapping cables and that sort of stuff. I'm wondering if the high gain of the pedal pre-amp may not be exposing some noise typically too low to hear.

What is your setup? Guitar > pedal > amplifier, Guitar > pedal > audio interface > computer or something entirely different?
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 am

Jim_Fogle wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:35 pm
Is it possible the pedal might be receiving faint hum as well as string sound? I would try not sitting so close to other electronics (like the computer display), guitar cable routing, swapping cables and that sort of stuff. I'm wondering if the high gain of the pedal pre-amp may not be exposing some noise typically too low to hear.

What is your setup? Guitar > pedal > amplified , Guitar > pedal > audio interface > computer or something entirely different?
The routing is guitar-pedal (which doubles as the audio interface)-computer&daw (amp simulator)then headphones or 5" powered studio monitors..The thing is, when I shut the amp simulator off in Cubasele8 the buzzing goes away..when it's on it buzzes and when adding compressor and eq etc., the buzzing gets louder...and the noise gate in both the pedal and Cubasele8 daw doesn't do anything to stop the hum...
0 x

steve_rolfeca
new to this board
new to this board

Post by steve_rolfeca » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:32 pm

If the ZNR patch doesn't touch it, you've got a grounding or power supply problem.

Are you using the original Zoom wall wart, or an aftermarket pedal supply?

I've seen a lot of noise problems with the MS-60B cleared up by using a dedicated 500ma supply, instead of feeding it off a One-Spot.

Also, are the computer, your audio interface and the Zoom all fed off the same, properly-grounded power strip and AC outlet?
1 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:22 pm

steve_rolfeca wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:32 pm
If the ZNR patch doesn't touch it, you've got a grounding or power supply problem.

I've seen a lot of noise problems with the MS-60B cleared up by using a dedicated 500ma supply, instead of feeding it off a One-Spot.

Also, are the computer, your audio interface and the Zoom all fed off the same, properly-grounded power strip and AC outlet?

******** THIS IS A SEPERATE REPLY EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T LOOK THAT WAY*********
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think I know what it is..the Halion sonic amp simulator in Cubasele8 is causing it..I thought maybe there was some rf interference causing muddy tones when using zoom g5n multi effects pedal alone without the computer..
Last edited by robertdonithan on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:12 pm

robertdonithan wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:22 pm
steve_rolfeca wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:32 pm

I think I know what it is..the Halion sonic amp simulator in Cubasele8 is causing it..I thought maybe there was some rf interference causing muddy tones when using zoom g5n multi effects pedal alone without the computer..
0 x