MS-100BT Recent show

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

MS-100BT Recent show

Post by stubbsonic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:43 pm

I just played a music theater show that required fairly frequent FX changes. I did the whole show without an amp (plugged in to a DI for the house, and thru to a powered monitor).

I was limited for space (especially on the floor) so I opted to make it work with only the MS-100BT (and graphic EQ on the monitor to rid of the hyped low-end). I chose the FD Combo across the board. It was the right sound for the "period"

I managed to get it all to work with just this one pedal. The 26 (A-Z) quick changes weren't quite enough, so I did manual list changes for part of teh show, and for one song I exited the patch list and used the footswitch to turn the tremolo on/off throughout a song. Then I returned to the list and resumed the alphabet. The only hitch was that once I had determined my effects flow for the show (and marked my book with the changes), any effects I wanted to insert into the sequence would require a major overhaul. In hindsight, it might have been smart to insert some "space holders" i.e., so I might only need to re-do half or a third. Sonically, I got everything I needed and it sounded GREAT!

Another show I'm playing requires fast switches to acoustic. I'm using the ac gtr sim and it works really well with my modded strat. (I did the pick-up blender mod-- and the acoustic sounds nice with bridge & neck mixed (sans middle pickup).

I'm about to do a show that features 80's glam rock. I'll need to decide between the Pod HD500 or the MS-100BT. I'm guessing the Pod will probably be what I use, but I will compare the marshall & soldano pretty carefully.
0 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: MS-100BT Recent show

Post by stubbsonic » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:18 am

The Pod HD500 is fine. Of course, it is more flexible and easier to use in a show context. I'm using the MS-100BT for the Ac Sim, and the Pod for everything else.

One quickly obvious thing as that the Zoom's tremolo is smoother and more like a real one. No matter what I do, I can't make the Pod's tremolo sound right.
0 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: MS-100BT Recent show

Post by stubbsonic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:06 am

I'm patching the MS-100BT into the FX Loop on the Pod HD500. That works well to combine the strengths of both. I use the Ac Sim, and though it is has kind of painful high end (I dialed the "top" way down) and EQ'ed it pretty agressively, part of that might be due to the speaker I'm using.

The MS-100BT suffers from picking up the wireless mics (see the my thread about Ferrite Beads), the Pod-HD500 does not. But the Ac Sim is essential for this setup.
0 x