H2n in the age of the smart device

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

H2n in the age of the smart device

Post by stubbsonic » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:41 pm

I bought an H2n several years ago, and have used it quite extensively every since. I needed a recording device that would capture recordings with excellent fidelity, easily, and the fact that the H2n has a Mid-Side mic sealed the deal!

Fellow band members with iPhones can easily record rehearsals and send me files, but the audio quality is not very good. When I send out rehearsal recordings from my H2n, they all comment on what a difference it makes, sonically. The Mid-Side record mode is fine for most things, and the surround stereo is nice for when we have the recorder in the center of the action. Having level control means that the sound is clear, uncompressed and undistorted (when the levels are set right), and the built-in compressor modes are good.

There are some sweet additional features--

1. You can use the device both as an SD card reader or an audio interface when connected to your computer or iOS device via USB. As an Audio I/O, you can blend a line in with the built in mics on the input side, and have the very nice quality headphone out as an assignable output. I think the DAC for the headphone out is a good quality audio out.

2. You can use the device, along with some decent earbuds as in in-ear-monitor system. I use this as a brass player and it is a game changer. I simply hang the H2n from the mic stand, and put the earbuds in. I can hear my horn and the band around me, and control the level as I need.

3. Auto record. You can set a threshold for recording on/off, and you can set an auto-off timer.

4. Built-in metronome.

They recently added functionality for "Spacial Sound" which is related to Google's VR format. I don't really care about that, but I could see how it would be useful.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

mtthree
new to this board
new to this board

Re: H2n in the age of the smart device

Post by mtthree » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:07 pm

for the love of all things holy.... How do you record in mtr and end up with one audio file ??? i just get 4 separate tracks when i attempt to connect to PC i think i can plug H2n directly to camera line in and post my content there but. id sure love to be able to have all files bleed into one any help will be greatly appreciated thanks
0 x

mtthree
new to this board
new to this board

Post by mtthree » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 pm

mtthree wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:07 pm
for the love of all things holy.... How do you record in mtr and end up with one audio file ??? i just get 4 separate tracks when i attempt to connect to PC i think i can plug H2n directly to camera line in and post my content there but. id sure love to be able to have all files bleed into one any help will be greatly appreciated thanks
in the words of my kentucky friend and banjo teacher aka BANJOMAN "if it was easy everyone would be doing it"
0 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 am

The H2n produces a separate mono file for each channel of sound in 4-track mode. I think you'll need third party software to merge the mono files into a surround audio file.

Because the H2n produces quad(rophonic) sound you might need to leave the center channel blank/silent.

Here's an article that shows how to use freeware, Audacity to do the conversion. It doesn't explain bring all the files in, but you can just get to know Audacity. It's a useful companion app for the H2n.

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2015/07/export ... -audacity/
0 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by stubbsonic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:08 am

Did you have any luck merging your multi-mono quad tracks into a single surround track?
0 x