TO ALL ON ZOOM GEAR & HOME RECORDING FORUM's BOARD INDEX USING ZOOM IN A LINUX CONTEXT: please read this!

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
jack o-trades
member in good standing
member in good standing

TO ALL ON ZOOM GEAR & HOME RECORDING FORUM's BOARD INDEX USING ZOOM IN A LINUX CONTEXT: please read this!

Post by jack o-trades » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Hello all,

"Officially", Zoom gear is only suited to MS Windows and Mac OS. Yet my default platform is neither Windows nor Mac. Moreover, I'm not the only one either, apparently, on Zoom Gear & Home Recording Forum with an R16 Recorder/Audio Interface/Controller at home AND Linux on their home computer. Better even: I'm using that R16 of mine, too, with some regularity, in a Linux context.

So, initially out of curiosity, I did a cursory tally of Linux-related posts in connection with R16 - my own machine. That was all I then had time for. And the outcome garnered was a bit of a surprise. So now I'm wondering what a more extensive MRS-/H-/HD-/PS- and R-forum search might have coughed up, with respect to the same theme. I didn't search or check for 'Linux' quotes in all these other forum locations, of course. But if I had, I bet that a respectable multiple of similar posts would have been excavated, in proportion to the entirety of contributions in Zoom Gear & Home Recording Forum.

So what more then to say about the claim that Zoom products are exclusively Windows- and Mac-bound? It's this: the wider Linux community, too, seems to count more than a few Zoom owners as well, in practice. Even outside of this here Zoom-themed bubble. I'm a regular myself, on a couple of online Linux bodies. But at the moment that particular brand of Zoom aficionados within the Linux community is scattered all over the net. Hard to find if you need them. So I believe there's an argument for bringing these together in a brand-new (pun unintentional) Linux sub-forum on Zoom Gear & Home Recording.

I'd like to put that idea to the test. Here and now. I'm really interested if my suggestion, as elaborated on above, will generally be seconded. I'd like to hear the opinions of posters and readers. And also if, possible, what Zoom Forums moderators have to say in connection with the theme proposed. EVERYBODY using ANY Zoom product in a Linux context is thus cordially invited to partake in this impromptu "poll". And I really mean any: whether you are a MRS-, H-, HD-, PS- or R-forum reader or regular, you're all most welcome to join in.

One thing more, though, to conclude with: please don't forget to mention the Zoom model you own. And, maybe, how you are using it. In whatever Linux distro you're on.

Thank you.

jack o-trades
0 x

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Re: TO ALL ON ZOOM GEAR & HOME RECORDING FORUM's BOARD INDEX USING ZOOM IN A LINUX CONTEXT: please read this!

Post by mikethebass » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:33 am

I'll kick off.

I use an R16 both as a stand alone recorder and as an interface on a windows 10 pc. It would be more convenient if I could use it on my own Linux AV laptop. Getting the Zoom to work with Windows / Audacity / Reaper has not been a problem. I've had no such success with Linux, probably because it's rather more involved and I don't know how to go about it. In my case I'd need someone to explain every step of the way.

Mike
0 x