getting back to basics-troubleshooting

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

getting back to basics-troubleshooting

Post by robertdonithan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:20 am

Has anyone had success in changing a guitar cable to get better distorted tones or presets sounds?I tried three different guitars using the same cable and it sounds bad for distorted tones on all three.. even straight through the amp without the zoom g5n multi effects pedal..it plays clean tones pretty good,no problem, but there's a kind of ghost ,faint echo and an rf interference sort of sound that fuzzes the distorted tones at all volumes..any ideas as to what this could be?
P.s.
I tried a microphone with the harmonica through the zoom g5n multi effects pedal and on all patches and presets it works good, no aftertones or interference...
0 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: getting back to basics-troubleshooting

Post by stubbsonic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:54 pm

If the cord is messed up, then you could get some noise. For example, if it is a speaker cable and not a guitar cable, you'll get more noise & hum.

Go try a different cable and see if that solves it.
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:58 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:54 pm
If the cord is messed up, then you could get some noise. For example, if it is a speaker cable and not a guitar cable, you'll get more noise & hum.

Go try a different cable and see if that solves it.
I tried a $49 Miami gold..it sounded brighter, but the "annoying echo" that follows distorted or patches with distortion is still there only more distinct..it does it through a hotrod deville and my headphones and the powdered studio monitors...
0 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by stubbsonic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:06 am

I've never had an "echo" come from using a particular cable.

However, I've had that kind of thing come from having one signal that is delayed by a processor buffer and one that is going direct at the same time. It creates a fixed phase cancelation sound (like the low end goes away, and there's little spikes in the EQ).

Can you upload a recording of what you're hearing and post a link here? It might help if you describe more clearly everything that is in the signal path from guitar to speaker.
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:18 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:06 am

However, I've had that kind of thing come from having one signal that is delayed by a processor buffer and one that is going direct at the same time. It creates a fixed phase cancelation sound (like the low end goes away, and there's little spikes in the EQ).

Can you upload a recording of what you're hearing and post a link here? It might help if you describe more clearly everything that is in the signal path
from guitar to speaker.

Yes.but I'm gonna be busy for awhile..couple hours or a day..I did return the m
ogami cable and put the blame on my apartment, well the moisture or humidity in the air..it makes pickups hot or touchy like a microphone with dampness i guess..I'm getting tired of experimenting so i kinda want to move on ..but I'll let you hear a recording if posdible later...
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:16 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:06 am

Can you upload a recording of what you're hearing and post a link here? It might help if you describe more clearly everything that is in the signal path from guitar to speaker.
It won't allow a recording...
0 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by stubbsonic » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:08 am

Yea, you'd need to put your recording on another server (or dropbox) and post a link. It's ok.
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:28 am

I thought maybe I could send it through a non private email...
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:46 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:08 am
Yea, you'd need to put your recording on another server (or dropbox) and post a link. It's ok.
Stubbsonic- I've sent you an email with a recording of the problem...
0 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by stubbsonic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:11 pm

I never got it.
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:10 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:11 pm
I never got it.
What's your email address? (If you care to share it)
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:10 am

robertdonithan wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:10 am
stubbsonic wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:11 pm
I never got it.
What's your email address? (If you
see if my email here contains the recording..
if you e-mail me I can send a reply with the attachment as a recording...
Last edited by robertdonithan on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:15 pm

If I were you, I'd edit that post and remove your email address. Otherwise, you'll get a bunch more spam.

I don't see any PMs for me on this forum.
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:34 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:15 pm
If I were you, I'd edit that post and remove your email address. Otherwise, you'll get a bunch more spam.

I don't see any PMs for me on this forum.
Took your advice...
Beings I'm not getting anywhere with my problems and so much time has passed with me stuck with lousy tones, I think I'm going to give up and trade some of my equipment and my current multi effects pedal in on another multi effects pedal..the trouble is, wherever I post a thread stating what I want to do (buy another pedal), no one seems to know of a multi effects pedal that has audio interface capabilities and a drumbeat section ..it's hit or miss again I guess...
0 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:59 pm

There's a couple of approaches you could take. I don't know of a multi-effect with both drums and USB interface capability, but here are a couple options.

You could look at the Line6 Helix or Helix LT, I'm pretty sure the Helix can act as an audio interface and has enough ins & outs for lots of different applications. But it only has one mic input, I think. You could get a drum machine to attach to one of the aux inputs.

Another option would be to get an analog mixer that has a USB interface capability. If you find one with a High-impedance ("high-z") input, you can use it as a hub and route your multi-effects via inserts and sends. Bring the drum machine into one of the inputs of the mixer.

There is the Zoom LiveTrak L-12 which is a mighty interface/mixer. No drum machine, though, but you could probably import loops onto it.
0 x

robertdonithan
been here a while
been here a while

Post by robertdonithan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:51 pm

I'm really not interested in something that complicated...wanted to stay simple like just the multi effects pedal..
0 x

stubbsonic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by stubbsonic » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:15 pm

But I think if you want a multi-effect pedal that is also an audio interface, and a drum machine, so you will have to accept some complication-- or expense.

Maybe the Helix LT will take care of effect & audio interface, and something like a BeatBuddy or BeatBuddy Mini would work. That's pretty simple, but not cheap.
0 x