AC2 and AC3 DI/acoustic pedals

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

AC2 and AC3 DI/acoustic pedals

Post by greenA2 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Has anyone tried the new acoustic pedals? https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/guitar- ... s/acoustic
Zoom seems to continue from where the A3 left off, but with two versions, the simpler one focusing on making your guitar sound good live, the advanced one offering more modelling and effects. Everything can be dialled in from the knobs, no menus and no display, which will make this much more user friendly than older zoom pedals!
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

Challenger
new to this board
new to this board

Re: AC2 and AC3 DI/acoustic pedals

Post by Challenger » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:24 am

I am curious as to what improvements three are if any..over the A3
0 x

gps100proof
new to this board
new to this board

Post by gps100proof » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Having trouble with my Ac2, guitar rings through PA while in tune mode, any suggestions?
0 x

michaelmucklow
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by michaelmucklow » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi greenA2,

Did you ever get either the AC-2 or AC-3? I have the AC-2 and like it for the most part.

Initially I used it on an acoustic guitar into which I had installed a K&K Pure Mini (type) pickup and it worked well with that, but overall I didn't like the sensitivity of the pickup - I heard my fingers hitting the strings at the start of a pluck and also the birds chirping outside.

Recently I have used the AC-2 with my Yamaha SLG200S. This set up is working very well for me. I really like the reverb in the AC-2, it seems to add a bit of "air". The only downside, and I'm VERY picky about this, is the hiss the AC-2 produces on the output. Maybe I just need to yet figure out the best input-to-output levels to quasi-reduce the amount of hiss. Inn recording I can remove nearly 100% of the hiss with a plugin. But I still don't like that it's there in the first place; and it's somewhat audible in a live setting.

Can Zoom greatly reduce or eliminate hiss on an output with better components? Don't know, I'm not an engineer.
0 x
Fingerstyle Guitarist & Award Winning Composer
Zoom R8, H4n, H2, H1, AC-2, MS-50G
REAPER | MacBook Pro | Beyerdynamic DT 770
Yamaha SLG200N & SLG200S | Epiphone Les Paul Studio

michaelmucklow
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by michaelmucklow » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 am

So I finally sat down and played around with settings between my guitar and the AC-2 I own. I found that if I push more signal from the guitar to the AC-2 then I can lower the output volume on the AC-2 and pretty much avoid getting any hiss in that signal as it goes to the recorder or performance amp.

Still, it would be awesome if Zoom could produce the AC-2 with an ultra-low noise floor - so low that I wouldn't feel a need to find a way to eliminate it.

I am by no means an electrical engineer, but when plugins can be dead silent why can't a direct-in type pedal like the AC-2 also be dead silent on the output?
0 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 am

Those are some ugly looking pedals. I wonder why they changed to a wood grain finish rather than continuing the sleek look of the older A3.

Marketting bulletpoints.

AC-2
Acoustic Creator
*Modeling of 16 guitar type/body shape presets for live sound and recording
*High quality preamp
*Super-low noise floor
*Piezo/magnetic input pickup select
*3-band equalizer

"Super-low noise floor" yuhu.

Pity neither the AC-2 or AC-3 has a noise gate. You can always get one to put infront of it, or use a noise gate plugin.
Shame theres no ZNR in them like a lot of their other pedals, the ZNR effect is one of the best digital gates I've used.
Last edited by NucleusX on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

michaelmucklow
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by michaelmucklow » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:51 am

Yeah, it kinda is a funky look for a guitar pedal. I guess the thought was it's for an acoustic guitar so it needs to look like wood. And why the "wave" top, I don't know.

Good thing is I like the pedal. :) So I can get past the ugly of it; though I'm not sure I'd take it out in public. :lol:

Maybe the noise floor is super low, but when it comes to recording I don't like having to use editing software to remove hiss or white noise from a track. Guess I shouldn't complain though since I can do that.
Pity neither the AC-2 or AC-3 has a noise gate.
Agreed!
0 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:30 am

The A3 had the ZNR.
0 x

michaelmucklow
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by michaelmucklow » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:17 pm

The A3 had the ZNR.
Dang!

Well, Zoom should have brought that over to the AC-2/AC-3. Wonder why they didn't?

When using an amp sim in the R8 I also use ZNR because, like you said, it's one of the best gates; keeps the signal quiet.
0 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:58 pm

michaelmucklow wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:05 pm
Hi greenA2,

Did you ever get either the AC-2 or AC-3? I have the AC-2 and like it for the most part.

Initially I used it on an acoustic guitar into which I had installed a K&K Pure Mini (type) pickup and it worked well with that, but overall I didn't like the sensitivity of the pickup - I heard my fingers hitting the strings at the start of a pluck and also the birds chirping outside.

Recently I have used the AC-2 with my Yamaha SLG200S. This set up is working very well for me. I really like the reverb in the AC-2, it seems to add a bit of "air". The only downside, and I'm VERY picky about this, is the hiss the AC-2 produces on the output. Maybe I just need to yet figure out the best input-to-output levels to quasi-reduce the amount of hiss. Inn recording I can remove nearly 100% of the hiss with a plugin. But I still don't like that it's there in the first place; and it's somewhat audible in a live setting.

Can Zoom greatly reduce or eliminate hiss on an output with better components? Don't know, I'm not an engineer.
No, I'm still using the A2 (hence the username), very occasionally, but I'll need to replace it one of these days. It hasn't aged well and on the basis of that I'd think twice before going with another zoom pedal. I also quite like some of the multiFX elements of the A2 that zoom has reduced in the A3 and got rid of entirely in the AC2/3
0 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:05 pm

michaelmucklow wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 am
So I finally sat down and played around with settings between my guitar and the AC-2 I own. I found that if I push more signal from the guitar to the AC-2 then I can lower the output volume on the AC-2 and pretty much avoid getting any hiss in that signal as it goes to the recorder or performance amp.

Still, it would be awesome if Zoom could produce the AC-2 with an ultra-low noise floor - so low that I wouldn't feel a need to find a way to eliminate it.

I am by no means an electrical engineer, but when plugins can be dead silent why can't a direct-in type pedal like the AC-2 also be dead silent on the output?
Gain staging is great, no? I think it's actually a good think that the pedal indicates it didn't get a loud enough input, than to have it add all that noise to the signal and then remove it again. Noise reduction always removes some useful frequency content too. It's preferable to not have to do noise reduction.
0 x