Zoom G5n hook-up question

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Nikodroid
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom G5n hook-up question

Post by Nikodroid » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:05 am

Hey everyone!

I have in plan to buy a Hotone Nano Legacy Heart Attack (solid-state) amp, which is a 5 Watt amp that also includes an FX loop. The thing about this amp that I like is that it's super portable and small, but more importantly it's an amp that is based on the Mesa Boogie Rectifier - and for such a small amp it really does great job (I've watched quite a few videos on YouTube, and it really sounded "good.").

Now, I want to use this amp along with G5n, in the way that I don't plan on using any amp simulation from the G5n, as I want to leave it up to Heart Attack to do its job. What would be the best-case scenario to use these two in the same chain? I suppose that the right thing would be to use the modulation effects of the G5n in the FX loop, in the way that you wrote in one of NucleusX' posts (viewtopic.php?p=197847#p197847):

G5n's L output -> Heart Attack's FX Loop Return, and my guitar would be plugged into the G5n

But in the same posts, he wrote that "This config is the most ideal if your wanting to use the amp-sims on the G5, or if you want the G5 to "shine" without "colouration" from the amp's pre-amp."

So, what should I do in order to use effects like Reverb, Delay, etc. on the G5n in the FX loop of the amp? And also, if I wanted to use analog Overdrive and Distortion pedals, these should go in front of the amp, is there a way to plug this all together and make it work?

Thanks!
0 x

ste_p0270
been here a while
been here a while

Re: Zoom G5n hook-up question

Post by ste_p0270 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:20 am

Howdo..

Just using the modulation would be:-

Guitar > Amp Input > Amp FX Send > G5 Input > G5 L (mono) Output > Amp FX Return

As you said, OD / Distortion in front of the Amp, so Guitar > OD / Dist > Amp Input

I think that's what you're asking?

Ste
0 x

Nikodroid
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Nikodroid » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Hey Ste!

Thanks for your answer.

I am going to try this out. So the full signal chain (with an Overdrive pedal) would then be:

Guitar -> OD pedal -> Amp Input -> Amp FX Send -> G5 Input -> G5 L Output -> Amp FX Return ?

My plan is to use a loadbox instead of a cab; the idea is to get one of those new Two Notes Torpedo Captor units, and so the amp simulation and cabs would be turned off / skipped on the G5n.

In the meantime while waiting for the Torpedo Captor to be delivered, as the mentioned amp (Hotone Heart Attack) has a line output, if I was to connect headphones would I risk damaging anything in the signal chain?

Cheers!
0 x

ste_p0270
been here a while
been here a while

Post by ste_p0270 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi,

That signal routing looks fine to me.

Not sure about the captor units you're on about.. never heard of them tbh; sorry.

Ste
0 x