Zoom G1on - what cables for home audio & PA

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
dacuy
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom G1on - what cables for home audio & PA

Post by dacuy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:50 am

I want to plug my Zoom G1on into my home audio - do I just use a normal 3.5mm audio cable? i know an instrument cable with a 3.5mm jack wont work because i tried it.my home audio is just a cheap mini component/ cd player.
and
whats the best cable to use to plug direct to a mixer? instrument cable worked on one occasion but not sure it was optimal.
i got to this point because i enjoy the amp + cab models via headphones.
thanks in advance.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Zoom G1on - what cables for home audio & PA

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:43 am

dacuy wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:50 am
I want to plug my Zoom G1on into my home audio - do I just use a normal 3.5mm audio cable? i know an instrument cable with a 3.5mm jack wont work because i tried it.my home audio is just a cheap mini component/ cd player.
and
whats the best cable to use to plug direct to a mixer? instrument cable worked on one occasion but not sure it was optimal.
i got to this point because i enjoy the amp + cab models via headphones.
thanks in advance.
I'd ask for some clarification on the signal flow here...

In the first situation, do you mean you want the CD player OUTPUT to go into the Zoom Aux-In? If so you want an (unbalanced) /stereo/ cable (TRS) -- normal instrument cables are (unbalanced) mono (TS) {Taylor Guitars Expression System as I recall is the only brand that is equipped for balanced mono TRS, but few amps are equipped for balanced inputs -- the voice channel of my Behringer can take balanced XLR}.

For the second situation, are you going from the Zoom output to mixer input? Mixers are normally mono inputs (and often expect balanced XLR/TRS). The line-out/phone jack of the Zoom is 1/4" stereo TRS. You'll need a TRS->dual TS (left/right) Y-cable (and the use of two channels on the mixer, adjusting panning to retain the stereo separation).

If you mean going from the mixer output TO the Zoom, then it depends upon A) what the mixer outputs are, and B) which Zoom input you plan to use. If using the Aux-In, you'll need an unbalanced TRS plug on that end -- with appropriate connector for the mixer output (I'll assume a pair of RCA phono jacks -- which means an RCA stereo to 1/8" stereo TRS). It gets more complicated if going from mixer to the instrument input on the Zoom. The instrument input is mono TS -- you would need some sort of RCA stereo to mono adapter.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

dacuy
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Zoom G1on - what cables for home audio & PA

Post by dacuy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:59 am

thanks sorry forgot to mention the flow
1st situation: zoom to output to cd player.
2nd situation:zoom to output to mixer. thanks for the info provided!
0 x