To all Zoom owners ALSO on Linux: how useful would a Linux (sub)forum be to you?

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
jack o-trades
member in good standing
member in good standing

To all Zoom owners ALSO on Linux: how useful would a Linux (sub)forum be to you?

Post by jack o-trades » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:52 am

Hello all,

Towards the end of summer 2017, I did a board-wide assessment of Linux users on Zoom Gear & Home Recording. Here is the original thread.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24098

It includes a reply from Zoetrope, the head administrator:
If five other people post here and say this would be useful to them I'll add it.
However, the thread aforementioned garnered just one single (if enthusiastic) reaction from a Zoom owner/Linux user in favour of my proposition. And upon this result, I presumed my plea lost.

At this current visit, though (January 2018, in the meanwhile), on a wholly unrelated matter, it turns out that both my own and, maybe, Zoetrope's initial conclusion may have been mistaken. Upon checking my posts, I came across this:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24127

Seven Linux users writing in, encouragingly! And based on this, I'd like to repeat my little "poll" of 2017 - albeit with the leading question phrased a bit differently:

How useful would a Linux (sub)forum be to you? And, as importantly, why?

If this appeals to you and you'd like to respond, please don't forget to mention:

- the Zoom model you own;
- your Linux distribution;
- your reason(s) why a Linux (sub)forum would be a good idea.

Note:

Sign posts to this thread are up board-wide. One request, though, for reasons of organisation and economy: if you'd like to contribute to this discussion, please follow-up on this post ONLY. "Pooling" all reactions together in one single location (= here) will help greatly to determine if a Linux (sub)forum has indeed basis in fact.

I'm looking forward to your response.

jack o-trades
1 x

sciurius
been here a while
been here a while

Re: To all Zoom owners ALSO on Linux: how useful would a Linux (sub)forum be to you?

Post by sciurius » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:59 am

I would greatly appreciate a linux subforum.

I have an R24 that I use for recording. Most postprocessing is done with Audacity on linux (Fedora 25/26/27).

Linux-specific topics would include workflow and tools, but also using the R24 as a multi-channel input device, which is currently not possible under linux.
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

Mugwump
new to this board
new to this board

Re: To all Zoom owners ALSO on Linux: how useful would a Linux (sub)forum be to you?

Post by Mugwump » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:40 am

sciurius wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:59 am
I would greatly appreciate a linux subforum.

I have an R24 that I use for recording. Most postprocessing is done with Audacity on linux (Fedora 25/26/27).

Linux-specific topics would include workflow and tools, but also using the R24 as a multi-channel input device, which is currently not possible under linux.
I use an H5 with a custom built debian and find no problem at all with audacity at 24/48. It is recognized by alsa and works just fine with usb2 audio under linux. No issues whatsoever. So I can record directly using the Zoom as an a/d usb2 audio device. It shows up in alsamixer and even works with pulse audio. Your R24 might work if you probe the usb device to see if it shows up. The command is lsusb and then if the R24 is showing up and is not being recognized by pulse audio,, which is what I suspect seeing that you are using a redhat based distro which is known to be very difficult to configure for audio devices. Then the trick is to see if any controls show up for the device in alsamixer, the way to do that is to ascertain if there is a device other than the default pulse audio or your internal sound chipset(s).

The ncurses interface for alsamixer uses f6 to show which devices are available. Here is a pic of my zoom controls in the alsamixer gui.
And It working properly with Audacity at full 24/48
Your r24 should show up as the r16 which is supported under alsa and works perfectly. I do not know if it will have a track limit but what should in theory happen is alsa will just add the other channels because they are number crunched by the software interface and can change automajically the same as old pci sound cards like M-Audio cards with multiple digital out channels, essentially the same driver works for a number of different devices with the same chipsets regardless of the device name or the number of output channels.

Linux does make a great DAW these days and audacity now supports Steinbergs once much vaunted vst daw plugin api, my nephew has just released a coded a set of linux vst plugins available here. http://xhip.net/synth/

It may very well be that pulse audio is blocking access to the device because it seems that most Zoom devices are well supported in the Linux kernel it is just that sometimes pulse audio can be a royal pain with usb audio2 devices, makes MS windows look good unfortunately. Even though the support for USB2 audio in Windows at best is done with stupid flakey driver installs and everyone else who uses Macs and Linux just plugs them in LOL...
0 x