Zoom F4 Filenameing?

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Steinn
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom F4 Filenameing?

Post by Steinn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:22 am

Hi everyone,
Does the new F4 name files/folder with Date like H5 does, ex. 180212-013752.WAV ? I use both H5 and H6 - and really dislike the way H6 creates a folder named ZOOM0001, 0002 with no idea of the date taken without opening all the folders.
Hope some of you have experience with this issue as I consider buying a F4.
Stein, Norway
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Zoom F4 Filenameing?

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 am

Suggest you download the manual and study it, so that anything you might not like can be discovered before hand...
(US PDF) https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... nglish.pdf
(and supplement) https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... F4v2.0.pdf

Page 37 of the main manual shows the directory structure. I suspect you won't be happy. Since the device is meant for use in conjunction with a video shooting, it uses directories for "scenes" and those appear to be a sequentially numbered "FOLDERxxx", sequentially numbered user name, or the date (not time, just date).

Within those are the recorded files, and THEY are prefaced with the directory name (or "none") followed by a sequentially numbered "take" and, for mono/stereo files (the default seems to be all tracks in one file) the source track(s). No time-stamps to be seen.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Steinn
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Steinn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:06 am

Hi
really strange that date+time is not an option on a professional recorder, just means more work to keep notes at what time recording started to keep things straight. I will use it for nature recordings due to high quality and start of recording is quite essential in some cases, f.ex. when does the birds start singing in the morning. There seems to be an option to choose length of file, this is great when I do an all-night recording as the H5 and H6 creates 2h10min long files before starting a new one (ab 2Gb). Half-hour files will be easier to edit on the computer in post.
Maybe they can make an update of the software if they are told to, they do have the knowledge like in the H5!?
Stein
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 am

Steinn wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:06 am
Hi
really strange that date+time is not an option on a professional recorder, just means more work to keep notes at what time recording started to keep things straight. I will use it for nature recordings due to high quality and start of recording is quite essential in some cases, f.ex. when does the birds start singing in the morning. There seems to be an option to choose length of file, this is great when I do an all-night recording as the H5 and H6 creates 2h10min long files before starting a new one (ab 2Gb). Half-hour files will be easier to edit on the computer in post.
Maybe they can make an update of the software if they are told to, they do have the knowledge like in the H5!?
Stein
Remember -- the main target for this unit is VIDEO... The focus is on "scenes" and "takes", and post processing would be relying upon matching audio takeX with video takeX (as identified on a clapper board). Time of Day is not meaningful to a video editor.

As for time alignment with the video, the unit generates SMPTE time-code which can be embedded within the audio, and can be run via cables to the video camera so that it can also record the same time-code (I'd be looking at this unit to replace my R16 IF my old Canon video camera had the time-code inputs; the XH-A1 was a few $$$$ cheaper than the XH-G1 because it left off the professional time-code in/out feature).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Steinn
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Steinn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:32 am

HI
due to p37 in the manual you can name folders by Date and every recording are named Date + Number/Letter. This will do for me!
Probably has to make a note on file ab. time, weather etc anyway on sound file.
Finding a 5V>12V converter making USB Power supply possible for field work will be perfect for this summers bird recordings in the Arctic!
Thanks for input.
Stein, Norway
0 x