G3n, G3nX, G5n Wish List

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
stubbsonic

G3n, G3nX, G5n Wish List

Post by stubbsonic » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:45 am

#1 Add a pedal-free rotary (leslie) effect unit with more adjustable parameters.

This would be a "Large Effect" (2-screen) version of the rotary speaker (roto) would work with or without a pedal.

Screen 1: Depth, Drive, Mix, Volume
Screen 2 Character, Slow-rate, Fast-rate, Mode

DEPTH: overall depth/intensity of the effect
DRIVE: Saturation from leslie tube amp sim (0-99)
MIX: dry/wet balance
VOLUME: final level

CHARACTER: 0-99
* at 0, all tremolo/pan and LPF LFO (no pitch)
* at 99, all pitch-doppler (no trem/pan or LPF)
* 50 is a balance of the two.
SLOW RATE: rate of slow
FAST RATE: rate of fast
MODE: FS Ramp 1-10, Pedal Depth, Pedal Rate, Pedal Both, SLOW, FAST
* FS Ramp1, FS Ramp2...FS Ramp10, the 2nd screen foot-switch toggles between the slow and fast speeds,
* Ramp number (1-10) sets the transition time from Slow to Fast and vice versa
* Pedal Depth allows pedal to control fx depth continuously (heel down is off, toe-down is the setting above)
* Pedal Rate controls speed continuously from the slow setting to the fast setting
* Pedal Both does both depth and rate
* SLOW fixed at slow rate
* FAST fixed at fast rate
0 x

stubbsonic

Re: G3n, G3nX, G5n Wish List

Post by stubbsonic » Sun May 06, 2018 4:02 pm

Global EQ

In settings, have a 3-band, low & high shelving EQ, with swept mid with Q. Include ability to save a few presets. This way you could adjust for different amps or other situations.

Parameters:
Low Shelf Freq: 20Hz-20,000Hz
Low Shelf Level: -20 to +12dB
Mid Band Freq: 20Hz-20,000Hz
Mid Band Level: -20 to +12dB
Mid Q: 0.1 - 5.0
High Shelf Freq: 20Hz-20,000Hz
High Shelf Level: -20 to +12dB

It may seem problematic to have the entire audible spectrum in all the ranges, and allowing overlapping ranges, but I think it would be helpful to have as much flexibility as possible-- even if some may "mis-use".
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Fri May 11, 2018 2:53 pm

Honestly, I think all Multi-Effects processors should have a global EQ with a list of namable profiles-- so you can have setups for different rigs, and different venues where you need a different tone.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:49 pm

trails/tail between patches , IR loader, Mark IIC+ Mark IV ,Hughes & Kettner, ENGL V amp/cab models.
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:49 am

One way they could get around having an IR loader would be to add an IR effect block and include a bunch of short IRs, like speakers, and maybe a few acoustic instrument resonators. I expect the processor couldn't handle a long IR, but this way, Zoom developers could at least have a few of their favorites in there.

Trails & Tails couldn't happen because it requires too much extra CPU and it's a fundamental change in architecture.

I'd love to see Zoom create a couple optimized pitch shifters. One for low notes, one for mid notes, one for high notes, and one for polyphonic input. Right now, there aren't any pitch shifters that track very well. The best ones (like Melodyne) aren't realtime processes.

Would also like to see a smart harmonizer with more scale choices. Modes, we don't need. We can do those with just major scales and changing the key note. Just a few more, like Harmonic minor, Pentatonic, Blues (Pentatonic with b5), Whole Tone, Diminished (whole half), Melodic Minor asc (minor w #6 & #7), and maybe 10 others.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:12 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:49 am
One way they could get around having an IR loader would be to add an IR effect block and include a bunch of short IRs, like speakers, and maybe a few acoustic instrument resonators. I expect the processor couldn't handle a long IR, but this way, Zoom developers could at least have a few of their favorites in there.

Trails & Tails couldn't happen because it requires too much extra CPU and it's a fundamental change in architecture.

I'd love to see Zoom create a couple optimized pitch shifters. One for low notes, one for mid notes, one for high notes, and one for polyphonic input. Right now, there aren't any pitch shifters that track very well. The best ones (like Melodyne) aren't realtime processes.

Would also like to see a smart harmonizer with more scale choices. Modes, we don't need. We can do those with just major scales and changing the key note. Just a few more, like Harmonic minor, Pentatonic, Blues (Pentatonic with b5), Whole Tone, Diminished (whole half), Melodic Minor asc (minor w #6 & #7), and maybe 10 others.
the last firmware is fresh and still new, im predicting the update will happen on the next 2 months.
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:12 am

Fingers crossed they'll add a few new fx.
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:15 am

A few single slot amp models. Something like a Fender Champ would work with one slot. Other amp models I'd like to see that would use 2 slots are a Roland JC-120 with the chorus effect on the second slot and Peavey Deuce with the Phaser effect on the second slot (or some other Peavey amp that had the Phaser). Adding more amps with other effects would make up for using 2 slots per amp.
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:32 pm

Not really any thing that needs a firmware update and probably very unlikely, but I'd love to see patches from artists I've actually heard of. Classic rock players like Brian May (he has worked with Zoom in the past so it's a possibility), Alex Lifeson, David Gilmore, Steve Rothary, George Lynch (also another who has worked with Zoom before) just to name a few. Another I would love to see, but I know I'm probably in a minority is Davey Johnstone, Elton John's guitarist. I think he's one of the most underrated guitarist out there.
0 x
Beatnick's personal YouTube channel

Beatnick's Odyssey can be found on
CDBaby YouTube Spotify Amazon Apple Music Google SoundCloud
Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:30 am

Its already October, maybe the last update is the last firmware update the Gn series is recieving, i notice Zoom updated the Livetrak maybe the truth is they are no focusing on other products.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:33 am

Seamless Delay and Seamless Reverb patch trails
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:36 am

After thought on the G3n and G3Xn I would really like 2 more effect slots. By the time I add my amp, cabinet, looper, rhythm and since its a noisy unit I usually need noise reduction I only have one slot which is usually reverb. It sounds great, but really needs more effect slots. They added more effect slots to the G3 with a firmware update so they should be able to do it with the G3n. Hopefully without cutting the delay in half like they did with the G3 too. They probably don't have enough memory for 2 more slots as is, I'd rather they remove all the extra effects they added to clear memory for 2 more slots and with the memory left let people pick and choose which extra effects they want. I know there's a lot they added in the last firmware update, that I will probably never use.
1 x

Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:48 am

Beatnick wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:36 am
After thought on the G3n and G3Xn I would really like 2 more effect slots. By the time I add my amp, cabinet, looper, rhythm and since its a noisy unit I usually need noise reduction I only have one slot which is usually reverb. It sounds great, but really needs more effect slots. They added more effect slots to the G3 with a firmware update so they should be able to do it with the G3n. Hopefully without cutting the delay in half like they did with the G3 too. They probably don't have enough memory for 2 more slots as is, I'd rather they remove all the extra effects they added to clear memory for 2 more slots and with the memory left let people pick and choose which extra effects they want. I know there's a lot they added in the last firmware update, that I will probably never use.
the firmware feature update that can remove effects from memory is im curious about, im only wishing for the Seamless delay and thats enough
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:50 am

Beatnick wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:36 am
But honestly i notice that Zoom maybe not updating anymore, just maybe, they are now really focusing on PA
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:46 am

Moved to another thread.
Last edited by Beatnick on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:13 am

Beatnick wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:46 am
Nhoj wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:50 am

But honestly i notice that Zoom maybe not updating anymore, just maybe, they are now really focusing on PA
Their support isn't the best either. I emailed them over a week ago about whether it was safe to use a G3 adaptor on a G3n and never got a response. I Checked the manual for both and they say they use the same adaptor so I'd say it's safe.
Try to messaged them through https://www.facebook.com/ZoomNorthAmerica/

i messaged them there and they responded
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:15 am

Beatnick wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:46 am
Nhoj wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:50 am

You are probably right. I think this unit is about 2 years old now. So it's probably ready for retirement in their eyes. I love it though. If I get the chance I might upgrade to the G5n, but only if I get a good deal like I did on the G3n.
The Seamless Delay is easy to add to the next update, you see even the past and discontined Zoom multi effects have it
0 x