Combining input delay and timecode (F8/F8N)

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
MTShorts
new to this board
new to this board

Combining input delay and timecode (F8/F8N)

Post by MTShorts » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:38 am

Waiting on my Zoom F8N preorder which I'm hoping to use on an upcoming project, where I'll be using a camera jam synced with a tentacle e, two Sennheiser AVX wireless mics (a lav and a handheld), and a stereo pair of mics for picking up ambience.

The problem is that I know the AVX have a 19ms delay due to internal processing, and I'm trying to figure out how to set this up so that I have the least amount of pain in post. I've read the manuals online, and I can see where I can add an input delay to the two NON AVX mics, so at least all four mics will be in sync, but I'm wondering how that works in regards to the timecode signal recorded?

Is it safe to assume that if I line up the time synced video and the four audio tracks I'll have a straight 19ms of delay to figure out how to deal with for all the audio tracks?

Hope that made sense. Not a pro, obviously... Thanks in advance.
0 x

still_fiddlin

Re: Combining input delay and timecode (F8/F8N)

Post by still_fiddlin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:17 am

Ever get an answer to that? I suspect the delay is not accounted for in the timecode, so not sure how you'll address that.

If you've been researching the F8 and F8n, you've probably seen some or all of the Curtis Judd videos on the product. I'd post this question in one of the videos he's got up on YouTube about this [using timecode] and see if you get a response.

What I actually wonder is what good the timecode is if you planned to actually mix the raw tracks in a DAW and then sync to video. I have to assume the timecode data is lost at that point.

I've been waiting for the F8n, but have a project coming up and can now get an F8 for $700. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the F8 right now because I don't use timecode and rely on FCPX to do the sync against a mixed audio file. I honestly may try the F8 and return it within the 45 day window if it turns out I really need a feature of the "n" - really wanted the record+interface at the same time feature, but getting a little time squeezed on the new model's release. (Not to mention I can do a lot with $300 I save!)
0 x

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:02 am

FWIW, I did order an F8. It also has the input delay capability - wasn't clear in the previous post, but I still don't know how it impacts timecode!

I may decide that the F8 limiter implementation, i.e., it actually limits before A/D, is a key feature, but I'll have 45 days to decide. I've been using the H6, and the F8 has the same post-A/D limiting, so not real concerned. (I also wanted the F8n's ability to act as an interface while also recording, but that's not really a deal-breaker.)
0 x

MTShorts
new to this board
new to this board

Post by MTShorts » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:29 am

Good luck with your F8. My F8n is in hand, but I haven't had a chance to do much with it, yet. I can say that the pre-amps sounds pretty clean and it chews through batteries, but I'm still getting my head around all the functionality...
0 x