Zoom Flagship

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Ratiug
member in good standing
member in good standing

Zoom Flagship

Post by Ratiug » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:32 am

The G5 and the G5n were the last Zoom flagships. With the advent of the Helix, Headrush and others will Zoom be bowing out of the mega multi effects arena? Or are they taking a wait and see attitude?
2 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Zoom Flagship

Post by NucleusX » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:03 pm

That was the big question right after the G5's (non n) release, but a long stretch of time of nothing killed those hopes.
I doubt Zoom will compete at the level of the Helix and Headrush anytime soon, or anything else at those higher price points, Zoom
have always been a value orientated company. The last respectable flagship Zoom created that i can remember would be the G9.2TT.
Since then, they haven't released anything as big and as featured as it. As for getting any clarification, you won't get it till Zoom
officially releases it. They rarely announce product information prior to release, they've always kept things on the hush hush.
2 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 am

Zoom have been quiet we dont know if there is a new unit next.
1 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:24 am

I'll just toss in that in the years I've run this forum you would think I'd have gotten some Zoom gossip, a heads up, a leak, anything. Never once. And I know for a fact that many Zoom employees lurk here. (Hi guys). These guys play their cards close to the chest for sure. I think that's one way you stay alive in such a competitive market, don't let your competitors know what you're planning.
3 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:10 am

Zoetrope wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:24 am
I'll just toss in that in the years I've run this forum you would think I'd have gotten some Zoom gossip, a heads up, a leak, anything. Never once. And I know for a fact that many Zoom employees lurk here. (Hi guys). These guys play their cards close to the chest for sure. I think that's one way you stay alive in such a competitive market, don't let your competitors know what you're planning.

Yes it seems it works for them, good to know btw, still enjoying my G3Xn.
1 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:34 pm

im just waiting for the next flagship, i sold almost all my multi effects, the only left is my Zoom G3Xn
1 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:26 pm

I don't have a burning need for a big flagship, but it would just be fun to have something with lots of i/o, controls (switches, pedals & MIDI), parallel paths, two external loops, and all the best modules from Zoom's great DSP.

The Boss GT-1000 seems to be my "dream rig" on paper, but the dynamic range issue I've mentioned on another thread is an important enough issue for me to scratch that one off the possibles list. I'd really rather have a zoom unit for that reason especially.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:04 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:26 pm
I don't have a burning need for a big flagship, but it would just be fun to have something with lots of i/o, controls (switches, pedals & MIDI), parallel paths, two external loops, and all the best modules from Zoom's great DSP.

The Boss GT-1000 seems to be my "dream rig" on paper, but the dynamic range issue I've mentioned on another thread is an important enough issue for me to scratch that one off the possibles list. I'd really rather have a zoom unit for that reason especially.
Curious of what the next Zoom Multi Effects flagship will be though
1 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:59 am

Yea, me too. I really wish Zoom would try something really ambitious.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:11 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:59 am
Maybe Zoom now is focus on Sound and Video Recording gear
1 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:36 am

Nhoj wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:11 pm
stubbsonic wrote:
In the 20 years I have known Zoom, I have noticed an increase of activity
in that department over the last 5 years, so i'd agree with that statement.
It can have positive results for us if we're patient enough to wait. Some
companies will branch out and diversify their products in the same way to
build capital and momentum, then eventually go back to overhauling and
bolstering their older product stacks. Can't say for sure that this is the
cycle strategy Zoom is using, but it certainly seems quite possible.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:59 am

NucleusX wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:36 am
Nhoj wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:11 pm
stubbsonic wrote:
In the 20 years I have known Zoom, I have noticed an increase of activity
in that department over the last 5 years, so i'd agree with that statement.
It can have positive results for us if we're patient enough to wait. Some
companies will branch out and diversify their products in the same way to
build capital and momentum, then eventually go back to overhauling and
bolstering their older product stacks. Can't say for sure that this is the
cycle strategy Zoom is using, but it certainly seems quite possible.
yes i agree it so noticeable that Zoom have a strategy of not having teasers before launching their new product line, they launch it on a surprise
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Since Zoom has invested so much in creating all these models and synths for the past few generations of multi-effects, I wonder if they've made it so they can continually use them in future products.

One thing I'd like to see in a future flagship is a much greater degree of control over the sounds-- i.e., deep editing. The MS series gave you a few pages of controls, but sometimes the resolution was 10 steps (i.e. 10 values) when you would want much finer control. E.g., there are parametric EQs that don't really sweep, but rather just select from a rough list of frequencies. And even with a few pages of controls, they leave out some important ones. My G3n is more limited, in that you don't get more than one page of controls-- so they had to pick only a few that you can adjust.

And I'd like to see modulation sources-- this could be done efficiently-- have two switch inputs, two exp pedal inputs, and allow input level to be a mod source. Then put in kind of a mod matrix of sorts, with curve and depth control -- and smoothing for the input level source.

Even one external loop would be an excellent addition.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:34 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:24 pm
Since Zoom has invested so much in creating all these models and synths for the past few generations of multi-effects, I wonder if they've made it so they can continually use them in future products.

One thing I'd like to see in a future flagship is a much greater degree of control over the sounds-- i.e., deep editing. The MS series gave you a few pages of controls, but sometimes the resolution was 10 steps (i.e. 10 values) when you would want much finer control. E.g., there are parametric EQs that don't really sweep, but rather just select from a rough list of frequencies. And even with a few pages of controls, they leave out some important ones. My G3n is more limited, in that you don't get more than one page of controls-- so they had to pick only a few that you can adjust.

And I'd like to see modulation sources-- this could be done efficiently-- have two switch inputs, two exp pedal inputs, and allow input level to be a mod source. Then put in kind of a mod matrix of sorts, with curve and depth control -- and smoothing for the input level source.

Even one external loop would be an excellent addition.
Im curious if Zoom will follow the latest feature technologies available now like the IR importing, delay and reverb trails between patch, amp and tone match, touch screens high quality and definition sampling sound , lots of dsp power etc. and maintain the affordability of the next product
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:28 am

(Nhoj, you should use QUICK REPLY at the bottom of each screen. There was no reason to always use quote mode every reply. It makes threads unnecessarily long.)

You bring up an interesting idea. If an effect unit had lots of DSP, perhaps it could even include a micro SD reader and allow you to load your own custom IRs-- for amp, cab, resonator, and reverb.

Honestly, if Zoom did everything you listed in terms of features, fidelity, and screen, they couldn't sell it cheaply. The hardware alone would be much more expensive, not to mention hardware and software development costs

Also, they are in a tough spot. If they made a product that competed with the upper end flagships of other manufacturers, they might peel off a bunch of buyers-- especially if they nail it. But, as we have found, even when they do "nail it", Zoom doesn't always get the credit it deserves.

Still, we have some fans here.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:41 pm

That feature of a card reader could be interesting feature because its will give the unit more power and memory and also if zoom do it, then zoom will be the first one to have that feature now, other brands now dont have card readers
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:40 pm

With a card reader, there could be IR files, as mentioned, but also samples that could be triggered, or it could record loops and store them between power cycles. (I don't use loopers, but lots of the kidz do). It could also back up the entire patch memory.
0 x