Mute tuner function does not work in G3

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
MISTAJONAH
member in good standing
member in good standing

Mute tuner function does not work in G3

Post by MISTAJONAH » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:09 pm

The instructions say to hold 2 button for two seconds to mute. But I can't get it to mute.
0 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Mute tuner function does not work in G3

Post by NucleusX » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:45 pm

In many Zoom pedals, including the G3, there's a setting in the settings menu for that. Go to settings for the
tuner, and you can set it to either bypass or mute, sounds like you have bypass selected instead, just flip it.
0 x

MISTAJONAH
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by MISTAJONAH » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:11 am

NucleusX wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:45 pm
In many Zoom pedals, including the G3, there's a setting in the settings menu for that. Go to settings for the
tuner, and you can set it to either bypass or mute, sounds like you have bypass selected instead, just flip it.
The "Press button 2 for two seconds...." is the instructions for Mute. That is straight from it's .pdf file page 22. But the result for holding button 2 down for two seconds only bypasses whatever effects you have on your patch. So you hear your guitar acoustic-like. That's not mute to me. Mute means silence.
The Tuner instructions are pretty straight forward. Press button 2 for one second to bypass-Press button 2 for two seconds to mute sound. Bypassing is useless. Who wants to listen to themselves tune? As far as tuner settings there are two. One is calibration one is Type. I scrolled through all types none of them mute. I usually leave it on Chromatic.
I was not the original owner. So I did a factory reset. Mute function simply does not work.
1 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Just to be clear, the settings I'm referring to are NOT accessed via the Tuner directly. You have to go into the G3's main internal system settings
to access it. It will be under "tuner", and you have the option to select either "bypass" or "mute". Just change from bypass to mute.
I can think of a few reasons why one would need bypass instead of mute, having the option to choose between them is a good thing.
1 x

MISTAJONAH
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by MISTAJONAH » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:54 pm

I found it on my own. When you hold Button 2 for Tuner three screens appear. Left: The BYPASS/To HOME screen. (The actual one that's needed). The middle screen reads NOTE. The right screens reads TUNER SETTINGS. Nowhere in the .pdf does it read "Once you are on the BYPASS screen turn Knob #1 to the right to activate Mute function." Which is EXACTLY what you have to do. It shouldn't have to be a scavenger hunt. "main internal system settings" ???????
The option for bypass/mute is always there. It's personal choice of which one to use. If you ever used this live or in a studio you would want Mute. An audience isn't paying to hear you tune up. Or your engineer doesn't need to hear that either.
1 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:47 am

MISTAJONAH wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:54 pm
Nowhere in the .pdf does it read "Once you are on the BYPASS screen turn Knob #1 to the right to activate Mute function."
Which is EXACTLY what you have to do. It shouldn't have to be a scavenger hunt. "main internal system settings" ???????
Yup, fair enough, didn't realise they omitted that info in the manual, as I've not specifically owned a G3. But I did own the G5
years ago and the MultiStomps now, which are all very similar firmwares. I am accustomed to seeing that setting within the
system settings, and view it as a set and forget thing, no need to keep going in and out of it usually, so its no big deal.
1 x

MISTAJONAH
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by MISTAJONAH » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 am

"didn't realise (sp.) realize ;) they omitted that info in the manual,"

That's kind of been a problem I've noticed with Zoom. Logically one would think a newer version would be added to. More effects or amps. But they end up taking things away or changing a process (or omitting info) one becomes accustomed to? With the MS-50G there is no Exciter or "5150" amp????? Apparently they gave up on firmware updates. Just like the S2T. That was the coolest looking interface!! Done all in the name of progress and money grabbing!! So we either deal, gripe or look elsewhere!!
1 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:49 pm

MISTAJONAH wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 am
That's kind of been a problem I've noticed with Zoom. Logically one would think a newer version would be added to. More effects or amps. But they end up taking things away or changing a process (or omitting info) one becomes accustomed to?
That the way with a few companies. For me, the two most painful examples are Apple and Kurzweil. Apple is constantly removing features I like, or breaking features I like with their Mac OS. Kurzweil's powerful flagship synths have lots of cool new features, but they removed some powerhouse features that I really was attached to.

Anyway, my point is, I totally get your frustration. And if the tuner doesn't work the way you expect, it seems like an especially annoying problem since that gets used so much!
MISTAJONAH wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 am
Apparently they gave up on firmware updates. Just like the S2T. That was the coolest looking interface!! Done all in the name of progress and money grabbing!! So we either deal, gripe or look elsewhere!!
Unless they have a product that is going to keep selling for a long time, they just decide at some point that the firmware is "close enough" and stop. Sometimes the stop when there are no bugs. Sometimes they stop when there are still bugs. But they don't do new firmware to add features unless there's some compelling marketing reason to do so.

There were a couple updates to the Zoom H2n that came later than expected. And they had to do with exploiting some surround file format options. Doesn't affect me, but at least they were still at it.
0 x