Zoom G1Xon...problem?

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
nagual
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom G1Xon...problem?

Post by nagual » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi to all !

Well, I have couple of questions about Zoom G1Xon, looks like I don't have knowledge/experience... :(

First - my gear:

Fender Champion 100 2x12
HB LP style, Wilkinson pick-ups (humbuckers)
Zoom G1Xon

Question/problem(s) - in general, sound is or too muddy or too flat and I really don't know how can I fix this :twisted:

1. I really need some nice, fat, juicy, strong overdrive sound (like Derek Trucks, for example) but, no matter what I make, result is sh*t :twisted:
I was trying following:
-no amps simulation, just ZNR and overdrive/Tube screamer - sound is flat, muddy, without power.
if I working with EQ on my amp, sound is little bit better, but this is not what I want/need
I was trying adding Graphic EQ in chain (2nd position, before overdrive/Tube screamer), but, somehow, I can't properly set up Graphic EQ - if I want no-muddy sound, can I adding MiDs? Or treble? Or both ?
Because I found LOT of different explanations about how Graphic EQ actually work, and now Iknow just that I don't know anything...

2. I was trying with amp simulation, but...if I choose OUT option COMBO FRONT, sound is muddy, if I choose some other setttings (including LINE) sound is too harsh.
So, what will be good solution? And what about CAB option? Use it or make it off and add Graphic EQ ?

3. I was playing with some nice sounding patches (Massive LD, for example) and try to made patch with lower gain, but I'm not sure where ?
On overdrive and leave amp gain as is, or leave overdrive gain as is and lower amp gain, or both ?
But again, sound is a little bit muddy if I choose option COMBO FRONT.

And I really don't understand TUBE option - what she really does and how can I setup TUBE option in correlation with gain ?
More gain, less TUBE ? Less gain, more TUBE ? Less gain, less TUBE ? OR something else ?
Is PRESENCE option make some brighter sound ?

Sorry about long post, but I'm really desperate - any help from experienced users from forum is more than welcome:-)
Also, any other help,explanation, example etc.. is precious:-)

With best regards!
0 x

stubbsonic

Re: Zoom G1Xon...problem?

Post by stubbsonic » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:11 pm

The first thing to check is what is the guitar sound straight through with no effects modules. Get that to sound as it should. Adjust your amp tone/EQ knobs so that whether you are on bridge or neck pickups, it sounds right.

Make sure the ZNR is isn't set up to drastically. Drop the threshold until it just eliminates your noise.

The tube screamer model is more of a "mids forward" drive. (It's also one of my faves).

Another thing to look at is where you put the pedal in relation to your amp (before input? or effects loop?). Try either and see if one is better than the other.

The only other thing I could suggest (without being there) is that when you go to use EQ, try first to see if you can pull out some frequency that is too much (like maybe a low mid).

Good luck!
1 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:30 pm

I see you have an FX Loop on the champion. If you can do without the preamp on it, i suggest you try plugging the
Zoom's output, to the "PWR IN" on your champion. Just be careful with the initial volume setting on the Zoom. You
typically lose all volume control at the preamp in this configuration, so your master volume will have to be controlled
on the Zoom, so start low. MFX pedals tend to sound better going straight into FX Loop returns (PWR IN) on amps,
and can sound thin or muddy through the frontend preamp input. Its not always the case, so just experiment. While
going via PWR IN, keep changing output modes on your ampsims if you intend on using them until you're satisfied
with the one you like best. The matching output setting you would assume should be better, can actually turn out to
be worse. You'll likely be often quite pleased with the results, as i have been, even if you lose the preamp. Fair trade
if all you wanna do is get a usable tone. Finally, a crucial mistake you are making, is running an ampsim on the Zoom
(which has its own preamp, amp and cab combined into one sim), then to your amps preamp input. This is going to
produce bad results. You shouldn't put an ampsim before a preamp. The general repeated advice i give here is, if
you're going to run the pedal without an ampsim, frontend input is fine for the most part. If you are going to use an
ampsim, its usually best to plug into the FX Loop Return jack, or PWR IN on the champion. Shouldn't need cabs, as
you are already running a real one, but try em. Whether its real hardware or ampsims, be mindful not to double up
on preamp, amp, or cab, in line with each other, and strictly stick to that order of sequence. This is a doorway into
a much larger topic of discussion concerning the general rules one must learn about FX order to obtain the best results
from their gear. You can research that for yourself online at your own pace if you really want to get serious about it.

Happy tone hunting.
Last edited by NucleusX on Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

nagual
new to this board
new to this board

Post by nagual » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 am

Thank you guys for all comments, advices, time and effort :-)

I normally use Zoom in front of a amp, so, logical is that I can use only pedals without ampsims...
BUT...

Some patches and setting sounds GREAT (with some modifications) using ampsim and cabsim in a front of an amp - I'm talknig about Massive LD patch:-)
I just add overdrive with little gain BEFORE ampsim and result is really great !

I found some apmsim work just fine with my amp, give me more "fat" and depth in guitar tone (DZ Drive with DZ 4x12 cab emulation, for example), so, I can build my tones around this parameters - DZ Drive amp, overdrive/Tube Screamer etc...

@NucleusX
Yes, your're right, sounds become MUCH better avoid preamp, using PWR IN, so I need to experiment a little bit with patches, ampsims etc---

@stubbsonic
Yes, now I use Tube Screamer on a proper way thank to you and your info:-)

Once again, thank you very much!
1 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:04 pm

All amps sounds great with a Tube Screamer in-front of them ! Make friends with it !
0 x

nagual
new to this board
new to this board

Post by nagual » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:02 pm

Indeed :-)
0 x