Q2n Audio Recording

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
malc67
new to this board
new to this board

Q2n Audio Recording

Post by malc67 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:05 pm

Hey folks,
New member here. Have recently bought a Q2n after much deliberation and what an utterly brilliant piece of gear it is. Truly amazed at what it can do. I am a drummer and also play in a band and a while ago now I thought it would be great to video myself practicing so I could just check to see that everything was fine with my playing (you cannot really gauge if you are doing stuff right while you are actually playing it). You need to sit back and analyse things away from the kit, so that is why I bought the Q2n. I initially put the word out in one of my drum forums and to begin with I thought about a GoPro as I had seen that people had/were using them. At that point I didn't know that the audio wasn't very good on them. Well someone suggested the Q2n then another then another, so I started to investigate it further. Well the more I did I found out that it was the perfect thing for my needs. With the high resolution video plus the great audio. Fantastic. It is at this point that I found out that it is billed as the video recorder specifically designed for musicians as well.
I have had if for a month or so now and I am finding it very easy to use. So intuative. Got the accessories pack too, so fully up and running with it. Used it at a few band rehearsals too. The rest of the band are stoked. When I have taken the footage home and loaded it onto my computer, tweaked it a little then e-mailed the results to them they are well pleased.
There is one thing that I could do with finding out and that is, does any one know if the XY microphones are disabled if you plug a mic into the 3.5mm jack?
Also could I run a direct line from our bands digital mixer with a fully eq'd drum sound directly into the 3.5 mm external input socket. Again would that disable the built-in XY mics?

Thanks for your help

Malc
1 x
MALC

stubbsonic

Re: Q2n Audio Recording

Post by stubbsonic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Glad you like your Q2n. I'll have to check it out.

I'd suggest you just do little experiments to see what gets defeated when you plug things in. It is the quickest way to know for sure.

I'd also suggest you jot a little note so you don't forget down the road.
2 x

malc67
new to this board
new to this board

Post by malc67 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:40 am

Thanks for the suggestions. It is still early days, but I am loving it. What an amazing piece of gear. I am delighted and so are my bandmates.
0 x
MALC

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:42 am

Just saw the little Steve Gadd demo over on Zoom. Sounds nice. Not much low-end, but very clear sound.
1 x