How to compress Q2n files?

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
malc67
new to this board
new to this board

How to compress Q2n files?

Post by malc67 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Hello Folks,
As the title suggests I am looking at ways of compressing some of my Q2n files, so I can email the footage that I record of our rehearsals to my bandmates. I am currently sending them as MP4 files which take ages to attach to emails then are difficult for my bandmates to undo at their end. Compressing the wimp files that are recorded with the Q2n would make life easier?
This is all new to me and I am learning as I go on. It would help me loads if someone else knew how to compress the footage so I can email it out in a compressed file.

Thanks
0 x
MALC

stubbsonic

Re: How to compress Q2n files?

Post by stubbsonic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:18 pm

Do you have a mac or a windows computer?

If you have a mac, you might be able to use Quicktime, or Quicktime Pro to compress the video. There are settings within the video compressor to handle the audio as well.

However, if you want to take a song and compress it so it can be emailed, it's going to look and sound like $#!+.

It would be better to compress as much as you can, while still making it look and sound ok, then upload it to a file sharing like Google or Dropbox.
1 x

malc67
new to this board
new to this board

Post by malc67 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Hey Stubbsonic,
I have a Windows pc running 8.1. I'll take your suggestions on board regarding Google and Dropbox. Just as a matter of interest how do you suggest I compress it? Sorry for seeming dumb, but I have absolutely no experience of this kind of thing
Many Thanks.
0 x
MALC

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:46 pm

Does windows come with a video editor? That would be the first thing to check. You might be able to get a microsoft video editor for cheap or free.

I think you can get quicktime pro for Windows (but I don't if it works for Windows 8). QT Pro is $30. But depending on what comes bundled with Windows, you might not need it.
1 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:31 am

I would like to interject that MP4 (AVCHD/H.264) files ARE already hightly compressed.

Anything to make the file smaller is going to require transcoding to a lower resolution/quality (and maybe a different format -- though AVCHD is one of the most compressed video formats around.

Consider: /standard definition (480x720@30i)/ DVD MPEG runs 4GB per hour. The same standard definition on my older video cameras (miniDV tape units!) runs 13GB per hour as DV-AVI. My HD camera (a $3400 prosumer grade Canon XH-A1) uses MPEG encoding and 1080x1440@30i(anamorphic) HD ALSO takes 13GB/hour on tape. That's roughly a 4:1 compression using plain MPEG, and AVCHD is supposed to be even more efficient. For purposes of editing, I used to transcode to a non-compressed format -- which took around 80GB/hour, but could be previewed in the editor at close to 20fps with live effects (rendering the final file often took two or more hours per hour of video).

Movie Maker used to be a download for Win7. It is no longer available for Win10 (incompatible even if you download it); don't know about Win8.1. Heck -- Win10 doesn't even come with a video viewer! I had to download/install VLC (or load up Vegas Pro). {I note there is something called "Video Editor" in the start menu, but it appears to be something that lets one take a collection of still images and then make a slide-show with a music track -- it is NOT a replacement for Movie Maker}
2 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards