G1on - what does a "bypass" effect block do?

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
dave_t
new to this board
new to this board

G1on - what does a "bypass" effect block do?

Post by dave_t » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:10 am

Some patches have a "bypass" block, some don't - I'm not sure what they do? I've looked in the manual and a few online forums, without success. Can a "bypass" effect be turned on and off somehow, bypassing the effects later in the chain? Or is it some feature that's not implemented in the G1on?
Any replies appreciated.
Thanks

Dave_t
0 x

stubbsonic

Re: G1on - what does a "bypass" effect block do?

Post by stubbsonic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:04 pm

I'd suggest you make a little test chain, input--> Delay --> Bypass --> Distortion --> output

Make Bypass the current FX block, and then enable/disable with the footswitch see if it does anything. See if it gets rid of either the Delay before it, or the Distortion after it.

PLEASE let us know what you find out.
0 x

dave_t
new to this board
new to this board

Post by dave_t » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:16 pm

So, I tried various chains and edits, and all I can figure out is that a "bypass" block shows up if you clear everything else, and just sits there doing nothing. Once there are other effects in the chain, you can delete it, or move it, it makes no difference that I can tell. There are no parameters or values to edit. So I guess it's just a placeholder in the code so that the patch file contains some data.
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:41 am

Did you press the footswitch to enable disable? If so, and it did nothing, then it is probably a way to keep a placeholder in the chain so you can add something in when needed, or get rid of something that causes the chain to go over the CPU limit.
0 x

dave_t
new to this board
new to this board

Post by dave_t » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:00 pm

No, the footswitch has no effect. I just noticed that on the display, it's always "greyed out" like an effect that's been turned off with the footswitch.
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:26 am

Ok. Yea, then it sounds like what the G1on does when it has to bypass a module because it's out of CPU.
0 x