Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Nhoj

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Nhoj » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:02 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:15 am
Do you know if the GE300 or the GT1000 have a "fixed path"? I.e., where you can't change the order of the series of effects?

That's the other thing about Zoom FX that complicates things. You can have things in different orders, so it would be hard to maintain a continuous signal flow if you have to break the path to insert a new effect module with a preset switch.

Another approach could be to have a "morph/snapshot" switch mode which takes a single preset and links a bunch of parameters to the footswitches. So, for example each switch could be linked to turn some effects on/off and reduce/increase parameter values-- while the same preset is loaded. That would provide tails and some degree of sonic change, but not cause the DSP to have to reset any signal path elements.
GE300 doesnt have stereo or dual patch chain

GT1000 does have all that features, GT1000 is on the "make or break it area" where if in the beginning Boss priced it on the $500 to $600
price range , they will dominate all affordable unit and sell like hotcakes
0 x

Nhoj

Post by Nhoj » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:04 pm

Nhoj wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:02 pm
stubbsonic wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:15 am
Do you know if the GE300 or the GT1000 have a "fixed path"? I.e., where you can't change the order of the series of effects?

That's the other thing about Zoom FX that complicates things. You can have things in different orders, so it would be hard to maintain a continuous signal flow if you have to break the path to insert a new effect module with a preset switch.

Another approach could be to have a "morph/snapshot" switch mode which takes a single preset and links a bunch of parameters to the footswitches. So, for example each switch could be linked to turn some effects on/off and reduce/increase parameter values-- while the same preset is loaded. That would provide tails and some degree of sonic change, but not cause the DSP to have to reset any signal path elements.
GE300 doesnt have stereo or dual patch chain

GT1000 does have all that features, GT1000 is on the "make or break it area" where if in the beginning Boss priced it on the $500 to $600
price range , they will dominate all affordable unit and sell like hotcakes like Boss Katana

Thats why people prefer Line6 Helix LT

0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:04 am

Oh, yea. I remember the GT1000 now. BIG flagship thing.

After trying a few Boss digital multi-effects, I remember that I didn't care for the distortions, amps, and reverbs. I mean, they're OK, but I wouldn't want to base my rig around them. I don't know if the GT1000 employed any sonic improvements on those particular effects.

I'm pretty happy with the Digitech RP360. Besides the issue of the dynamics being tamped down a little, the reverbs are lexicon-based and sound good, and all the other effects are quite decent. I don't think it does "tails" but I have it in a pedalboard with another reverb so it all works for me.
0 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:03 pm

With the GT1000, Boss introduced a new DSP platform called "AIRD", which is supposed to be superior to COSM.
Like the Helix did with some older POD FX, Boss updated some of their older COSM based FX with AIRD, as well
as creating new ones. The price and sonic differential between Helix/POD and GT1000/GT100 are quite similar.

I was a bit disappointed in this direction as it seemed like yet another piece of tech thrown to a high profit margin
market, rather than keeping within the usual price brackets we're used to. Is progress really progress if you have
to pay substantially more to have it ? or is progress progress when we get more for around the same price years
later, like we are used to with tech in general ? So far, my appetite for upgrading to these new paradigms has
diminished, waiting to see how it all plays out. The Helix Lite and Stomp HX which are cutdown versions of the
Helix, are still set at a reasonably high price compared to last gen. Considering the POD series hasn't been refreshed
yet since the launch of Helix, It's unclear as to what the future is for their POD branding, or the mid end market
they occupy. I haven't seen Zoom follow in these steps as yet, so kudos to them for that so far. I hope they keep
doing what they do best and continue delivering a reasonably priced unit that punches above its price bracket.
Last edited by NucleusX on Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:08 am

I completely agree. GO ZOOM!
0 x

Nhoj

Post by Nhoj » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:58 am

NucleusX wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:03 pm
With the GT1000, Boss introduced a new DSP platform called "AIRD", which is supposed to be superior to COSM.
Like the Helix did with some older POD FX, Boss updated some of their older COSM based FX with AIRD, as well
as creating new ones. The price and sonic differential between Helix/POD and GT1000/GT100 are quite similar.

I was a bit disappointed in this direction as it seemed like yet another piece of tech thrown to a high profit margin
market, rather than keeping within the usual price brackets we're used to. Is progress really progress if you have
to pay substantially more to have it ? or is progress progress when we get more for around the same price years
later, like we are used to with tech in general ? So far, my appetite for upgrading to these new paradigms has
diminished, waiting to see how it all plays out. The Helix Lite and Stomp FX which are cutdown versions of the
Helix, are still set at a reasonably high price compared to last gen. Considering the POD series hasn't been refreshed
yet since the launch of Helix, It's unclear as to what the future is for their POD branding, or the mid end market
they occupy. I haven't seen Zoom follow in these steps as yet, so kudos to them for that so far. I hope they keep
doing what they do best and continue delivering a reasonably priced unit that punches above its price bracket.
Yes like i said if they priced the Boss GT1000 $500 to $600 range that would sell like hotcakes

One of the reasons why Katana's are successful is the price range except Katana Air
0 x