Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Post Reply
Nhoj
senior member
senior member
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Nhoj » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:49 pm

Beatnick wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:41 pm
With them working on the G1 four now I'd be very surprised if they do any firmware updates on the G3n. I hope they do though. For you I'd like to see that seamless delay between patches and of course I would love at least a couple more effect slots. Since the G5n has 9 slots, I don't see why the G3n couldn't do it.
We dont know , but the closest answer is yes maybe they update old units, as we from the past
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Beatnick » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:00 am

I would not be surprised if we saw a G3 four and G5 four soon too. We'll see.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Nhoj
senior member
senior member
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Nhoj » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:21 am

Beatnick wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:00 am
I would not be surprised if we saw a G3 four and G5 four soon too. We'll see.
Honestly im not expecting to, because my Zoom G3Xn is still new and also i dont think they will maybe release it anytime soon

The Gn needs an update though
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Beatnick » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:37 am

We'll see. This might just be their entry level for n series, but you'd think they would have called it G1n though.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Nhoj
senior member
senior member
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Nhoj » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:25 am

Beatnick wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:37 am
We'll see. This might just be their entry level for n series, but you'd think they would have called it G1n though.
The curious part is what really "FOUR" means? FOURTH generation? Four name of processor?
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Beatnick » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:30 am

Four knobs I assume. It might be 4th generation though I think this is the 4th with that name. G1, G1N and G1on. That also explains why they didn't call this one G1n, because they already had one called that. To my knowledge the only difference between the G1 and G1N was that it included a USB port for editing. Maybe recording too.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Nhoj
senior member
senior member
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Nhoj » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 pm

Beatnick wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:30 am
Four knobs I assume. It might be 4th generation though I think this is the 4th with that name. G1, G1N and G1on. That also explains why they didn't call this one G1n, because they already had one called that. To my knowledge the only difference between the G1 and G1N was that it included a USB port for editing. Maybe recording too.
Another one i wish they done is the paths for the chain, parallel or stereo but that requires more processing power
0 x

Nhoj
senior member
senior member
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Nhoj » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:26 pm

seems this is the end of my search planning to sell my Zoom now
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by stubbsonic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:49 pm

Seemed like before you were saying it wasn't that big of a deal, and that otherwise you were pretty happy with the G3nx.
But I understand this has been on your mind for a while!

If you find a multi-effect unit that does preserve trails, you should post what it is here. I've heard people mention examples of units they say will preserve trails/tails between patch changes and others that contradict. You'll need to hear examples of units that work in the way you want.

For me, having tried quite a few other boxes from Line 6, Boss, Digitech, and Zoom, they all had different qualities and strengths. Overall, I'd rank them in this order from best to worst: Zoom, Digitech, Boss, Line 6. And none of them are perfect, but in terms of the balance of features I'm looking for, Zoom does most of it better. I think the Eleven Rack is going to be pretty great too, but I haven't had time with it yet. I don't know if it preserves tails, but I'll check.

I guess my point with all of this is that you might get your tails/trails, but suddenly you hate other aspects and you miss your G3xn.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Beatnick » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:12 am

I wouldn't sell it. First it sounds amazing. Second it's not a popular pedal so I doubt you'll get much for it. Granted we love it, but overall it's not real popular. I've sold a lot of pedals on the past and I end up regretting it most of the time.

If you must have something new, I'd still hold on to the G3n just in case. Or get a separate delay pedal, like the old Zoom 508, that does have seamless delay and put it after the G3n. Obviously if stereo is important to you then that will not work because you would lose your stereo signal going into the 508.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Nhoj
senior member
senior member
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Nhoj » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:14 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:49 pm
Seemed like before you were saying it wasn't that big of a deal, and that otherwise you were pretty happy with the G3nx.

But I understand this has been on your mind for a while!

If you find a multi-effect unit that does preserve trails, you should post what it is here. I've heard people mention examples of units they say will preserve trails/tails between patch changes and others that contradict. You'll need to hear examples of units that work in the way you want.

For me, having tried quite a few other boxes from Line 6, Boss, Digitech, and Zoom, they all had different qualities and strengths.

Overall, I'd rank them in this order from best to worst: Zoom, Digitech, Boss, Line 6.

And none of them are perfect, but in terms of the balance of features I'm looking for, Zoom does most of it better.

I think the Eleven Rack is going to be pretty great too, but I haven't had time with it yet.

I guess my point with all of this is that you might get your tails/trails, but suddenly you hate other aspects and you miss your G3xn.
Im planning to upgrade to G5N lol , the dsp for the G3Xn is limiting effects
1 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by stubbsonic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:23 am

Upgrading to the G5n will get you two extra effects in the chain. And an extra switch to turn on/off an effect in the chain. (I still don't think you'll get your tails).

I still think you'd be better off keeping your G3Xn, and adding a 2nd Zoom pedal (like a MS-50G, MS-70CDR, or G1 Four) on your chain. You get more DSP, more flexibility, and you get to keep your tails. That would be smaller than the G5n. You could mount them in a way to make it one unit.

At least with the G5n, you'd be keeping the Zoom sounds that you like.

This is an interesting question though.

G5n vs. G3Xn + G1 Four
0 x

Nhoj
senior member
senior member
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Nhoj » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:41 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:23 am
Upgrading to the G5n will get you two extra effects in the chain. And an extra switch to turn on/off an effect in the chain. (I still don't think you'll get your tails).

I still think you'd be better off keeping your G3Xn, and adding a 2nd Zoom pedal (like a MS-50G, MS-70CDR, or G1 Four) on your chain. You get more DSP, more flexibility, and you get to keep your tails. That would be smaller than the G5n. You could mount them in a way to make it one unit.

At least with the G5n, you'd be keeping the Zoom sounds that you like.

This is an interesting question though.

G5n vs. G3Xn + G1 Four
We have setlist on songs , im making patch songs, Zoom G5N is perfect for that because of additional slots for effects, Zoom G3Xn is not, like i said i dont want to bring additional pedal when im gigging
0 x

javachris
new to this board
new to this board
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:03 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by javachris » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:50 am

The tails will not be there, regardless of software update. This kind of thing happens because the G5n, G3n and G3xn all have single DSP configurations. The mfx that do have effect tails when switching patches actually have two DSPs on board, and when switching patches, they have both enabled. Even on those units, if you switch quick enough back and forth between patches, the tail will be cut immediately. For example, if you have a long delay on patch A, switch to patch B, you will have the delay tail. If you switch back to patch A before the tail is done, the tail DSP will be reassigned back to patch A and the tail will be lost.
0 x

Nhoj
senior member
senior member
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Nhoj » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:23 am

javachris wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:50 am
The tails will not be there, regardless of software update. This kind of thing happens because the G5n, G3n and G3xn all have single DSP configurations. The mfx that do have effect tails when switching patches actually have two DSPs on board, and when switching patches, they have both enabled. Even on those units, if you switch quick enough back and forth between patches, the tail will be cut immediately. For example, if you have a long delay on patch A, switch to patch B, you will have the delay tail. If you switch back to patch A before the tail is done, the tail DSP will be reassigned back to patch A and the tail will be lost.
Thats what im saying the only issue with Gn is DSP
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:42 am

Nhoj, what do you mean when you say "the only issue with Gn is DSP"?

Do you mean that they should have put in a 2nd DSP chip? Because what you have been saying many times is that you think Zoom can release a firmware update to add tails.

javachris was describing MFX units with two hardware dsp chips on board, where the unit can allocate tasks to two different chips and work out routines to preserve tails through patch changes.
0 x

Nhoj
senior member
senior member
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Zoom Gn series Seamless Delay/Reverb Trails/Tails between patches and banks

Post by Nhoj » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:25 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:42 am
Nhoj, what do you mean when you say "the only issue with Gn is DSP"?

Do you mean that they should have put in a 2nd DSP chip? Because what you have been saying many times is that you think Zoom can release a firmware update to add tails.

javachris was describing MFX units with two hardware dsp chips on board, where the unit can allocate tasks to two different chips and work out routines to preserve tails through patch changes.
I meant Zoom DSP lacks i dont know where Two sa DSP or 1 single new more power DSP

Anyway im still satisfied with my Unit in terms of sound and thats what important
0 x

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests