Email to Zoom about possible G3n/G3Xn firmware update

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Email to Zoom about possible G3n/G3Xn firmware update

Post by Beatnick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:32 am

I figured I'd start a new topic instead of continuing on the wishlist topic where the discussion originally began. For those who did not see the discussion on the wishlist post, basically I emailed Zoom NA asking if there was a possibility of a firmware update for the Zoom G3n. Here's what I originally wrote

"I'm just curious if there will be another firmware update that might add a couple more slots into the effect chain on the G3n. I love the sound of it, but since an amp and cabinet combined uses 3 slots and I like to add a looper and rhythm, that's another 2 slots. Most of the time I need the noise reduction so that leaves one slot for effects and usually that's used for reverb. Is there any chance of a future update that can add 2 or more effect slots to the chain?"

There's a lot of other things I could have asked for, but I wanted to stick with the thing I would like the most and not overload the email with a bunch of requests.

Today I did receive a reply.

"Thank you for contacting us with your feedback. I will forward your suggestion to our developers in Japan to consider for a future update."

The idea was not shot down right off and they did not say there are currently no more plans for new firmware updates, so I guess that's a good thing. Of course, this does not mean anything at this point. I don't know if I'll hear anymore or if this is the last I'll hear.
0 x
Beatnick's personal YouTube channel

Beatnick's Odyssey can be found on
CDBaby YouTube Spotify Amazon Apple Music Google SoundCloud
Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Re: Email to Zoom about possible G3n/G3Xn firmware update

Post by Nhoj » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:12 am

Beatnick wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:32 am

"Thank you for contacting us with your feedback. I will forward your suggestion to our developers in Japan to consider for a future update."
Thats the same reply they gave me
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:27 am

Nhoj wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:12 am
Beatnick wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:32 am

Thats the same reply they gave me
Probably a standard copy and paste reply. Hopefully they do at least look it over though and consider the idea.
0 x

Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:37 am

I wonder if the answer would be different if I used the Japanese email address? I would assume that would be more direct.
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:08 am

Hey, Nhoj and Beatnick, I have a favor to ask.

Would you both please to over to the G-series wish-list thread and delete those off-topic posts? I'm not tripping. I like you both and enjoy your posts. I even like this topic.

I'd like to keep that wish-list thread as just effect ideas for the G series and not discussions about firmware. Perhaps you could summarize & paste in this thread.

I do understand the relevance of firmware updates to a wishlist of new features. It's a worthy subject. Again, I just wanted to keep the wish-list as a tidy "list".
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:22 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:08 am

Would you both please to over to the G-series wish-list thread and delete those off-topic posts? I'm not tripping. I like you both and enjoy your posts. I even like this topic.

I'd like to keep that wish-list thread as just effect ideas for the G series and not discussions about firmware. Perhaps you could summarize & paste in this thread.

I do understand the relevance of firmware updates to a wishlist of new features. It's a worthy subject. Again, I just wanted to keep the wish-list as a tidy "list".
I'm trying to figure out how to do that for you. It doesn't appear to be an option after a post is so old. Either that or only the last post can be deleted. That's really why I started a separate post, because I didn't want to continue leeching off of that one.
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:21 pm

Yea, I see that after clicking the edit button there isn't an "X" or Delete option. (Perhaps that option goes away after a reply is added?) Thanks for checking. Perhaps they could be edited down to something short like, "Moved to another thread."

Also, the quoting isn't necessary, you can just reply without quoting.
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:26 pm

OK...I think this site used to be busier when I was coming here when I got my PS-04 and then the quotes were more helpful.

You and I must think a bit a like because that's what I was thinking of doing to the posts and now will do once I finish typing.

Just out of curiousity, do you think the wish for more artist patches that I know is off topic. It is a wish, just not one involving a firmware update. If you do think that's too off topic, I can "delete" that one as well.
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:18 pm

I would copy the e-mail to Zoom Japan. Corporate is where all major decisions are made.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:08 am

What off topic posts? sure , its alright dont worry , also moderators can delete that here if they want to
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:58 am

When we got to discussing emailing Zoom we went off topic.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:27 am

Beatnick wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:58 am
When we got to discussing emailing Zoom we went off topic.
Why Zoom didnt add the Seamless Delay to the New N series ?
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:25 am

The wish-list is about adding features to the G-series-- which could be modules, could be global settings, structural things, cosmetic things.

I had been suggesting different modules and different approaches to modules. Preserving Reverb/Delay Trails through preset changes is also a good example. Artist presets is another good example. Those are all fine.

However, there are other recent threads about firmware and reverb/delay tails. So it makes sense to post to those threads-- as they go beyond the G-series-- and even get into the next flagship topic.

I understand the desire to quote entire posts when responding to them, but it isn't necessary. There is a Quick Reply window at the bottom where you can just add your post without quoting. If you are responding to something specific from a previous post, you can edit and quote only that part to which you are directly responding. This just makes the thread tighter and easier to scroll & read.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:55 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:25 am
The wish-list is about adding features to the G-series-- which could be modules, could be global settings, structural things, cosmetic things.

I had been suggesting different modules and different approaches to modules. Preserving Reverb/Delay Trails through preset changes is also a good example. Artist presets is another good example. Those are all fine.

However, there are other recent threads about firmware and reverb/delay tails. So it makes sense to post to those threads-- as they go beyond the G-series-- and even get into the next flagship topic.

I understand the desire to quote entire posts when responding to them, but it isn't necessary. There is a Quick Reply window at the bottom where you can just add your post without quoting. If you are responding to something specific from a previous post, you can edit and quote only that part to which you are directly responding. This just makes the thread tighter and easier to scroll & read.
It alright the moderator can delete the threads, btw can you answer why Zoom New Models dont have Seamless Delay even though the past models have?
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:17 pm

In some cases, an effect unit has a fixed path. So when a preset is switched, the "configuration" has not changed. In other words, there is a delay-line and the settings are changed, but the buffer didn't need to be cleared to load a new preset-- because the new preset didn't have to swap out the delay.

The newer effects have actual "modules" that are models of different types of delays (tape, bucket-brigade, mod delay, etc. etc.) so the hardware likely does a little clearing of data to prep for the new models. You can imagine that the model is not "coloring" the sound before it goes to the buffer, but rather coloring it as it comes out of the buffer. That's why it can't hold the buffer. I'm just guessing.

You didn't need to quote my thread for your last post. You should try out the Quick Reply below. It's fun and easy!
0 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:41 am

Couple more slots aye, we all want them ! but that's a bit like asking a car manufacturer for a couple more cylinders lol.
Zoom would have to extensively over-haul the firmware for that to become a reality, it's not usually a common practice.
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:28 pm

Well, when the Zoom G3 first came out they only had 3 effect slots and Zoom put out a firmware update that doubled it to 6. So I don't think it's out of the question. Of course when they did that on the G3, they cut the delay times in half, I don't know if that was because of the extra slots or the extra effects they added. It looks like when they made the G3n they left room to grow in the memory, so I'm hoping they could do it without doing a delay cut.
0 x