Email to Zoom about possible G3n/G3Xn firmware update

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Email to Zoom about possible G3n/G3Xn firmware update

Post by NucleusX » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:56 am

Interesting, I thought the G3 had 6 from the get go. The G5 had 8 plus tube booster, but I don't think it's slot capacity was ever
changed or upgraded. When you look at the slot availability of the over-all product stack of that particular series, the G3 realistically
should've had the 6 initially on the scaling of things. The G5n could do with a similar treatment if compared to the original G5, by
adding a couple more slots if the DSP headroom is there. I'd hate to be the one calling these kind of shots. Choosing the right
balance of trade-offs for a final product within hardware limitations wouldn't be an easy decision to maximize its selling potential.
Careful what you wish for, Zoom might end up trading off something even more important to you to accommodate the change lol.
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:51 am

NucleusX wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:56 am
Careful what you wish for, Zoom might end up trading off something even more important to you to accommodate the change lol.
Mic drop. :bow:

That is an excellent point!!!

I think of all the times Apple has released a new Mac OS, and the pain from lost/broken features/compatibility FAR exceeds any pleasure from new features. Alas.

I can relate to the frustration of a "nearly perfect" product. It's a kind of obsessive thing that I do all the time. My mind starts to repeat, "If only they had done X, Y and Z, it would be perfect!"

Sometimes I mock-up a fantasy design and even write it down and draw diagrams. Helps my mind move on.

Another thing I've done recently is to work out COMBINATIONS of gear to accomplish what I need. For example, NucleusX and I were musing about parallel paths, external loops, and other order & routing ideas. I then started to chart out things I can do with an old digital mixer I have. Some kinds of routing challenges can be achieved by just having two multi-effects and some kind of switcher. It doesn't solve everything, and it requires some cleverness.

When multi-effects have MIDI ins, it can be possible to send a program change to more than one unit and get an instant preset call. You can have more elaborate settings and have some tails, as well.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:55 am

NucleusX wrote:
the decision is always up to them

Take the consequences and face the music
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:00 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:51 am
NucleusX wrote:
Mic drop. :bow:

That is an excellent point!!!

I think of all the times Apple has released a new Mac OS, and the pain from lost/broken features/compatibility FAR exceeds any pleasure from new features. Alas.

I can relate to the frustration of a "nearly perfect" product. It's a kind of obsessive thing that I do all the time. My mind starts to repeat, "If only they had done X, Y and Z, it would be perfect!"

Sometimes I mock-up a fantasy design and even write it down and draw diagrams. Helps my mind move on.

Another thing I've done recently is to work out COMBINATIONS of gear to accomplish what I need. For example, NucleusX and I were musing about parallel paths, external loops, and other order & routing ideas. I then started to chart out things I can do with an old digital mixer I have. Some kinds of routing challenges can be achieved by just having two multi-effects and some kind of switcher. It doesn't solve everything, and it requires some cleverness.

When multi-effects have MIDI ins, it can be possible to send a program change to more than one unit and get an instant preset call. You can have more elaborate settings and have some tails, as well.
maybe why they dont add that loops and routing because price will go up
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:36 pm

I know I don't want them to cut the delay in half like they did to the G3 in order to add more slots. I am trying to avoid having more than one pedal if I can. I don't like having a lot of stuff on the ground because I don't have a lot of room.
0 x
Beatnick's personal YouTube channel

Beatnick's Odyssey can be found on
CDBaby YouTube Spotify Amazon Apple Music Google SoundCloud
Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n (Currently the only pedal I use), G3, R8, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Beatnick wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:36 pm
I know I don't want them to cut the delay in half like they did to the G3 in order to add more slots. I am trying to avoid having more than one pedal if I can. I don't like having a lot of stuff on the ground because I don't have a lot of room.
like i said its up to them to decide, the closest answer is to have a next multi that have more processing power.
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:01 am

I honestly don't plan on buying another unit, but I didn't plan on buying this one either. I just found it for a good price that I couldn't pass up. Right now I would consider a G5n just for the extra flexibility if I could get it for cheap.
0 x
Beatnick's personal YouTube channel

Beatnick's Odyssey can be found on
CDBaby YouTube Spotify Amazon Apple Music Google SoundCloud
Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n (Currently the only pedal I use), G3, R8, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:23 am

Beatnick wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:01 am
I honestly don't plan on buying another unit, but I didn't plan on buying this one either. I just found it for a good price that I couldn't pass up. Right now I would consider a G5n just for the extra flexibility if I could get it for cheap.
Honestly the seamless delay is the only missing delay to be added , also maybe one of the reasons they are having hard time adding that is because of gaps, a gapless seamless delay being gapless when switching patches.
0 x