Zoom G1On with Amp Sims into Combo Amp

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
NinjaBoy
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom G1On with Amp Sims into Combo Amp

Post by NinjaBoy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:58 am

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere but I've looked and can't see anything definitive.
I'm using a G1ON plugged into the guitar input (Clean) of my combo amp with EQ's set midway.

1. If I use an Amp Sim, with the Cab Sim off, and then the Line setting set to Combo Front is this OK and will the sound be OK?

2. Could I plug the Zoom into my Aux In on my combo amp, bypassing the pre amp and EQ, and then use the Amp Sim through my speaker? Would this be OK?

3. Should I just stick to using the Zoom pedal effects and not the Amp or Cab Sim?

Sorry if this all sounds a bit basic but I'm just trying to get up an running.

Cheers, N.
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Zoom G1On with Amp Sims into Combo Amp

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:46 pm

I think you should do some comparisons. The rules aren't as strict as you may think.

I sometimes run my Zoom G3n into a Fender Blues, Jr, AND I've tried it with the amp & cab sims on & off, and for my particular situation it sounded better with the amp sim on (I can't remember if I turned the cab sim on or not) . Even though that doesn't make sense in terms of how it is supposed to work, it sounded GREAT!

You can use the Aux in, and see if that improves the sound. I'd rather use the amp's regular input and be able to use the amp's EQ.

You'll hear this advice enough for it to get annoying, but really, listen to the results and see which sound YOU like better. Play around with the EQ on the amp to get the right balance of tone, generally. Try to set the highs so they sound clear & open, but not piercing. Notice if there are enough lows for it to sound full, but not muddy. Notice if the mids poke out or sound too scooped. Then do about an hour's worth of experimenting with amps & cabs and you'll learn what you need to know about YOUR amp, YOUR tone, and YOUR preferences.

Let us know what you come up with.
0 x

NinjaBoy
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Zoom G1On with Amp Sims into Combo Amp

Post by NinjaBoy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:11 am

Thanks. That's great. I'm a bit of a one for things working exactly as they should/supposed to hence getting myself in a spin.
I'm going to be a bit more open and have a play.

Cheers, N.
0 x