New Zoom Effects from 2019 NAMM

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Re: New Zoom Effects from 2019 NAMM

Post by Beatnick » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:16 pm

I think the clipping you hear is from YouTube not the recording itself. Someone said that about one of my videos once, but I hadn't noticed it. One time though I opened a video through my browser instead of the app and then I noticed it. Long story short, YouTube seems to boost volume and cause clipping when run through some mobile browsers. It doesn't seem to happen through the app on my phone.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:28 am

Gearfacts just posted an editing tutorial for the G1 four too.

https://youtu.be/DewlHy0vHNk

OK. So I never watched the first video all the way through. What I did hear on the first video sounded comparable to the G3n, but I didn't listen closely or all the way through. This one is nice though. I definitely like the extra buttons for bringing up each individual effect. Only 5 effects does seem limiting, but at least they let you scroll through pages on larger effects so it does not take up 2 slots like the G3n. Also he did say some effects actually have 2 effects so you could probably do more if you are creative. One thing I thought was really cool was in tuner mod the way the buttons lit up to indicate the tuning. I'm pretty happy with my G1, but I probably will get this if I find it for a good price.
1 x
My YouTube channel

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:46 am

Beatnick wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:16 pm
I think the clipping you hear is from YouTube not the recording itself. ... Long story short, YouTube seems to boost volume and cause clipping when run through some mobile browsers. It doesn't seem to happen through the app on my phone.
If that was the case, I would expect to notice clipping all over the place on YouTube. I don't know anything about YouTube's video encoding, but it doesn't seem to always normalize, as there are lots of vids with low volume because people don't know how to set levels. I guess YT may have an option to normalize audio-- and that wouldn't (shouldn't) cause clipping either. It is more likely that the person who was recording the video just wasn't riding levels when recording and hammered the input too hard on the camera.

It's kind of unfortunate, because some people hearing the G1 Four will think, "The overdrive's in that Zoom sound like $#!+" when they are actually hearing a clipped camera input. It's almost unforgivable to "demo" an audio product with clipped levels, and the fact that it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the comments, or better yet, on the video itself is also disappointing.

Thankfully, the reporters at NAMM did a better job of watching levels (or had limiters on the cameras) to prevent that kind of clipping.
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:43 am

On one hand, it is nice to see that they restored multiple page editing (from the MS series) for single effects. On the other hand, it's annoying they got rid of it for their n-series effects in the first place.
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am

I understand why Zoom did it. It does kind of suck scrolling through 3 pages to adjust every parameter, I just wish it did not take up 2 effect slots to do it. Why couldn't they just have the bigger effects take up 2 screens so you can still see everything, but not actually take up 2 effect slots. That would have worked a little better. In fact, I've said this before, if they could just add 2 more effect slots to the G3n I would be fine with it the way it is.
0 x
My YouTube channel

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:23 pm

I'd rather have access to all the parameters (no matter how they do it), and multiple pages seems like the best way. Losing only one knob to effectively get access to additional knobs seems like a fair trade-off.

I hope the build, sound quality, and general robustness are there. It'll be easy to recommend.

I wish they had combined the bass & guitar product into one, not just because I play both, but also because it can be cool to run guitars through traditionally bass-oriented gear and vice-versa.
0 x

Nhoj

Post by Nhoj » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:40 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:23 pm
I'd rather have access to all the parameters (no matter how they do it), and multiple pages seems like the best way. Losing only one knob to effectively get access to additional knobs seems like a fair trade-off.

I hope the build, sound quality, and general robustness are there. It'll be easy to recommend.

I wish they had combined the bass & guitar product into one, not just because I play both, but also because it can be cool to run guitars through traditionally bass-oriented gear and vice-versa.
the true market share target of this is its price range, bedroom players and newbies, and maybe backup for live gig players.
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 am

As he said in the last video a rhythm and looping demo was done for the G1 four.

https://youtu.be/cTavdGOwtw4

I'm not really liking that. Too much hand work. I prefer to use foot pedals to do everything on the fly. Of course, with only 2 foot pedals there's really not much you can do about that.
0 x
My YouTube channel

Nhoj

Post by Nhoj » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:57 am

Beatnick wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 am
As he said in the last video a rhythm and looping demo was done for the G1 four.

https://youtu.be/cTavdGOwtw4

I'm not really liking that. Too much hand work. I prefer to use foot pedals to do everything on the fly. Of course, with only 2 foot pedals there's really not much you can do about that.
Thats why this unit is target mainly for bedroom players and practicing not necessary playing live but might be a good backup for people who have GN units.
1 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:48 am

While I agree, I'm pretty much a bedroom player myself, I still like messing with loopers on the fly. That's pretty much the only thing I really miss about my current set up with the G1 going into my R8, I just can't loop with the G1.
0 x
My YouTube channel

Nhoj

Post by Nhoj » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:13 am

Beatnick wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:48 am
While I agree, I'm pretty much a bedroom player myself, I still like messing with loopers on the fly. That's pretty much the only thing I really miss about my current set up with the G1 going into my R8, I just can't loop with the G1.
yes its suitable at perfect for your needs , i just wish Zoom solved and sorted the delay reverb trails tail between patches.
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:54 am

Yea, it wasn't clear if you HAVE to reach down and press buttons in order to use the looper. It would have been smart if they'd worked out some various "modes" to allow you to not have to squat down. Hard to tell from that one looper demo-- if the right foot switch would take you to the looper and rhythm track or not.
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:57 am

Nhoj wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:13 am
i just wish Zoom solved and sorted the delay reverb trails tail between patches.
You probably shouldn't expect tails in an entry level unit like this. It's not going to be a minor fix. It requires powerful processing, and most entry level players would not want to sacrifice general capabilities-- for example, they wouldn't want to have only four effects in the chain just so they could have tails.

That said, Nhoj, you might want to consider getting the non-pedal version as a 2nd effect in your chain, and use it just for delays & reverbs. It would solve your problem cheaply!! And you could velcro it to your other effect unit so it won't feel like an extra box.
0 x

Nhoj

Post by Nhoj » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:41 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:57 am
Nhoj wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:13 am
i just wish Zoom solved and sorted the delay reverb trails tail between patches.
You probably shouldn't expect tails in an entry level unit like this. It's not going to be a minor fix. It requires powerful processing, and most entry level players would not want to sacrifice general capabilities-- for example, they wouldn't want to have only four effects in the chain just so they could have tails.

That said, Nhoj, you might want to consider getting the non-pedal version as a 2nd effect in your chain, and use it just for delays & reverbs. It would solve your problem cheaply!! And you could velcro it to your other effect unit so it won't feel like an extra box.
I dont want to bring another pedal live, G3Xn is compact and enough, the trails betweeen patches is not a major concern for me as long as my unit sounds good im fine, btw im contented with the sound im looking for so the trails between patches is less concern. In fact ive compared this to other affordable brand and i still like Zoom simulation better.
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:53 am

Nhoj wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:41 pm
the trails betweeen patches is not a major concern for me as long as my unit sounds good im fine, btw im contented with the sound im looking for so the trails between patches is less concern.
Glad to hear it.
0 x

Nhoj

Post by Nhoj » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:15 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:53 am
Nhoj wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:41 pm
the trails betweeen patches is not a major concern for me as long as my unit sounds good im fine, btw im contented with the sound im looking for so the trails between patches is less concern.
Glad to hear it.
But it will be awesome if Zoom add it to the next udpate if there will be, it will like a gift for all Zoom customers
0 x