Introducing the G1 Four, G1x Four, B1 Four, B1x Four

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Introducing the G1 Four, G1x Four, B1 Four, B1x Four

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 pm

These are the new entry level pedals from Zoom. They unveiled them at NAMM 2019. There are two guitar versions, one with a built-in expression pedal (G1x Four), one without (G1 Four). Same with the two bass versions (B1x Four, B1 Four). The ones without a pedal do not have a pedal input (like the G3n & B3n do).

There are two features that make this seem like a GREAT new product. First is the user interface which has dedicated bypass/selector buttons for all five modules in the chain, this will make editing very quick and intuitive. There are also dedicated buttons for the drum machine and looper. Second, they brought back multiple pages for parameter adjustment. In this way, it is better than the n-series. You only have 5 slots, but you can now adjust more settings, as you can with the MS series. It says you can load more effects via Guitar Lab. Hopefully, the selection and quantity will be good.

The presence of looper functions with the footswitches bothers me, as I don't like accidentally invoking looper functions in a gig setting. With the G3n, I can just not put a looper in the chain, and I'm safe.

All in all, it looks like a great deal on a best-in-class entry-level pedal.

I watched a few demo videos. This one goes through the presets and the sound quality is good. The playing is good enough to hear what is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2FHV-ZIq8w
0 x

Nhoj

Re: Introducing the G1 Four, G1x Four, B1 Four, B1x Four

Post by Nhoj » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:37 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 pm
These are the new entry level pedals from Zoom. They unveiled them at NAMM 2019. There are two guitar versions, one with a built-in expression pedal (G1x Four), one without (G1 Four). Same with the two bass versions (B1x Four, B1 Four). The ones without a pedal do not have a pedal input (like the G3n & B3n do).

There are two features that make this seem like a GREAT new product. First is the user interface which has dedicated bypass/selector buttons for all five modules in the chain, this will make editing very quick and intuitive. There are also dedicated buttons for the drum machine and looper. Second, they brought back multiple pages for parameter adjustment. In this way, it is better than the n-series. You only have 5 slots, but you can now adjust more settings, as you can with the MS series. It says you can load more effects via Guitar Lab. Hopefully, the selection and quantity will be good.

The presence of looper functions with the footswitches bothers me, as I don't like accidentally invoking looper functions in a gig setting. With the G3n, I can just not put a looper in the chain, and I'm safe.

All in all, it looks like a great deal on a best-in-class entry-level pedal.

I watched a few demo videos. This one goes through the presets and the sound quality is good. The playing is good enough to hear what is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2FHV-ZIq8w
the question is does it have delay trails between patches, maybe not.
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:12 am

I'm not sure if they have seamless delay between patches. I haven't had time to look through the manuals, but they did add them to the Zoom site. Scroll down and you will find them.

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar ... processors

I'm on the fence after watching the 3 gearfacts demos that posted on another post. It does sound cool and I do like the extra buttons for quick editing, but I'm seeing some down sides. I'm not a bid fan of having to use your hand to activate the looper and rhythm. With only 2 foot switches, there's really not much they could do there. It is nice that the larger effects do not take up 2 slots, but they did drop it down to only 5 effect slots, so it does kind of even out there. Also the rhythm and looper are kept separate so you don't have to take up another effect slot for them. The price is definitely a big plus Sweetwater is listing these for $80 I believe and $100 for the one with the pedal. It's a tough call for now. I do like my G1 so I'm not really looking for a new pedal now. The only thing I really miss on the G1 is there's no looper, but I can create loops on my R8 fairly easily, just not on the fly. I haven't had a chance to watch this video yet, so I may feel different once I do. Right now it's a case that I will probably buy one if I happen to see it some where cheap like I did with the G3n, but I'm not going to actively seek one out.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Nhoj

Post by Nhoj » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:54 am

Beatnick wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:12 am
I'm not sure if they have seamless delay between patches. I haven't had time to look through the manuals, but they did add them to the Zoom site. Scroll down and you will find them.

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar ... processors

I'm on the fence after watching the 3 gearfacts demos that posted on another post. It does sound cool and I do like the extra buttons for quick editing, but I'm seeing some down sides. I'm not a bid fan of having to use your hand to activate the looper and rhythm. With only 2 foot switches, there's really not much they could do there. It is nice that the larger effects do not take up 2 slots, but they did drop it down to only 5 effect slots, so it does kind of even out there. Also the rhythm and looper are kept separate so you don't have to take up another effect slot for them. The price is definitely a big plus Sweetwater is listing these for $80 I believe and $100 for the one with the pedal. It's a tough call for now. I do like my G1 so I'm not really looking for a new pedal now. The only thing I really miss on the G1 is there's no looper, but I can create loops on my R8 fairly easily, just not on the fly. I haven't had a chance to watch this video yet, so I may feel different once I do. Right now it's a case that I will probably buy one if I happen to see it some where cheap like I did with the G3n, but I'm not going to actively seek one out.
i cant find that on the manual, strange that this manual is limited
0 x

ClifDawg
new to this board
new to this board

Post by ClifDawg » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:21 am

I posted a while back about getting a G3Xn or G5n, and I never did (ended up buying a car). As a result, I'm still in the market for a compact effects processor for when I want delays/reverbs/modulations. I'm kind of glad it worked out that way, too. The G1x four looks like it will fit the bill, especially for it's low price. I'm waiting until it gets into the hands of users though... I'd like to see an effects list, because I know the G1Xon has some specific ones I want to use, but I would be happy to wait and spend the extra 20 bucks on the G1x four if it has them too (and I'm assuming the G1x four has a better digital processor).
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:34 am

Hopefully, someone will post what effects are available both off the shelf and through add-ons from the Guitar Lab software.

As for using the footswitches on the looper, there are some embossed markings that indicate that the pedals can be used, and I saw a demo where the looper was controlled by the foot switches.

I don't think we can necessarily assume the G1(x) Four has a better digital processor. It may just be that they are improving other aspects but still using the same basic effects and processor.
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Knowing what I know about older entry level Zoom products I would assume the only difference between the G1 four and G1x four would be the actual expression pedal. 2 big advantages to the expression pedal attached is that in the toe position you can usually bypass the effect assigned to the expression pedal and since there is already an expression pedal attached the jack where the expression pedal is usually connected can probably have a footswitch connected to it that can be assigned to bypass one of the effects or tap tempo. Well worth the extra $20, especially since an expression pedal by itself cost much more and does not have the toe position bypass and you can either have the expression the footswitch attatched, but not both. There are people that have claimed they have had both hooked up, but it has never worked for me.
0 x
My YouTube channel

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:03 am

Gearfacts did another video where he went through each individual effect for the G1 four. It's a little long. I'm also curious if he used any cabinet sim.

https://youtu.be/UPeKFnPEdwg
0 x
My YouTube channel

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 am

After watching that video, I think it's cool, but if you already have the G3n or G5n I don't see the need to upgrade. I might mess with my G3n again. I know the G1 I'm using does have most of the effects I want, but there's a handful I sometimes miss.
0 x
My YouTube channel

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:35 am

Correction on my earlier statement. Apparently the G1x four does not even have a jack in the back for the footswitch only the G1 four. Also, on the G1 at least, the footswitch can be used to bank up (bank A to bank B and so on) in play mode and in rhythm mode it can be used for tap tempo. There's no bypass feature.
0 x
My YouTube channel

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:42 am

NEITHER of them have jacks on the back for foot control or switches. Both the two built in foot switches, and If you want a pedal, get the x version. That's it.

There's some question about how much you can do with the foot switches, and how much it might require you to bend over and use your hands. If they were clever, they'd have worked out ways to use the two switches like short presses, double-presses and combination presses, and modes to make things work right. We'll see.
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 pm

I just checked the manual and you are right. That makes it an easy pass for me unless I buy the G1x four. The whole reason I'm using a floor unit instead of the onboard R8 effects is for effects that need expression. I don't really use them alot, but sometimes I like wah, whammy and volume pedals. Honestly I think that was a stupid thing for Zoom to do leaving that Jack out. Maybe they are trying to completely discontinue the expression pedal they sell and are trying to encourage people to spend the extra $20.
0 x
My YouTube channel

Nhoj

Post by Nhoj » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:29 pm

Beatnick wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 pm
I just checked the manual and you are right. That makes it an easy pass for me unless I buy the G1x four. The whole reason I'm using a floor unit instead of the onboard R8 effects is for effects that need expression. I don't really use them alot, but sometimes I like wah, whammy and volume pedals. Honestly I think that was a stupid thing for Zoom to do leaving that Jack out. Maybe they are trying to completely discontinue the expression pedal they sell and are trying to encourage people to spend the extra $20.
Also for me is missing is paths , parallel or stereo paths for the chain, but that required more processing power that obviously this cant because of the price
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:55 pm

Nhoj wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:29 pm
Also for me is missing is paths , parallel or stereo paths for the chain, but that required more processing power that obviously this cant because of the price
Yea, not in these entry level products. Most users wouldn't touch any kind of advanced routing features.

However, parallel and stereo paths would make sense in a next step up product, even a G3n or up.
0 x

Nhoj

Post by Nhoj » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:25 am

0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Really and truly, it happened again. After seeing all this about the G1 four I got exited for more effects and hooked up the G3n. I got an idea for a new song and started recording some tracks and found it disruptive going back and forth between pedals. When I record, the simpiler the better. Less distractions. Even my G1 was more than I needed, though occasionally it's nice for when I need the expression pedal, but most of the time I can get creative and find alternatives to what I want to do. Currently I'm just using the R8 again.
0 x
My YouTube channel