Strat + G3n vs. Godin xtSA + GP-10

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Strat + G3n vs. Godin xtSA + GP-10

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:26 am

I was prepping for a "jukebox musical" covering a wide array of pop songs from the 60-70s.

I thought the Godin & GP-10 with the available library of guitars/pu/amps/fx would be ideal. I played through a yamaha powered PA speaker. Both the piezo pickups in the Godin, and the GP-10's ADC and/or FX both ended up killing the dynamic range and and didn't have enough clarity in the top end. It does have a nice variety of sounds, and no noise, but wasn't usable for this show.

I went back to my strat into G3n into Blues, Jr, and it was NO CONTEST. The dynamic response is there, the clarity and tone are there. And, yes, the noise is there, too, but there wasn't any question, I have to use this guitar for the gig. The Godin + GP-10 would have just felt too weak. I probably could have used the Godin's mag pickups for better dynamics, into the G3n and the BluesJr, and that might have been ok. But as long as I'm using mags, the Strat really is the right sound for most of that show.
1 x

nagual
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Strat + G3n vs. Godin xtSA + GP-10

Post by nagual » Sat May 18, 2019 6:28 pm

Maybe is little to late, but I had GP-10 about 3 month and sold it.
IMHO, it's a just overpriced piece of crap.
With or without GK3 pickup, sound was horrible:-(

I try everything - different amps, guitars, pickups..no help, sound was sh*t.

And couple of my friends which is not musicians told me that sound was too artificial, just weired.

Now, I'm using Bugera 22 Infinium, Zoom G1XON with custom firmware and enjoy more then ever:-)
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Strat + G3n vs. Godin xtSA + GP-10

Post by stubbsonic » Wed May 22, 2019 11:21 pm

Yea. When I bought the Godin & GP-10, I kind of knew what I was getting myself into. I watched lots of demos of the GP-10, and have heard other Boss digital effects. I knew the amps and effects would be disappointing. I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but it was just how I expected.

I play some music theater shows and in two recent productions, the Godin+GP-10 allowed me to use the models to get instruments I needed for the style (jazz guitar, banjo, acoustic guitar, strat) and switch between them quickly. I also knew the modeling stuff wasn't going to be spot-on. However, the acoustic models do sound more realistic than the Zoom emulation of the Boss acoustic sim, and the other sounds are good enough to be useful.

I may use this setup for the modeling only, and go into Zoom FX for amp sim, mod fx & reverb. And I can settle for the shi++y effects in the boss when I don't want to shlep much gear.

I only started this thread because the most recent show featured the guitar pretty intensely and as you say, playing thorough the GP-10 just didn't cut it.
0 x