Mixdown on the L-12

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Jondus
new to this board
new to this board

Mixdown on the L-12

Post by Jondus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi Everybody! I am looking at the Zoom L-12 to record rehearsals and I have not seen anybody talking about mixing directly on the board instead of going to a DAW. Are any of you doing this? I’m not trying to ‘make recordings’ so much as ‘recording what’s being made’. I figured with a name like LiveTrak that this is what the board was designed for...? Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?
0 x

mkok
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Mixdown on the L-12

Post by mkok » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:18 pm

I have the L-20 which has quite a lot more features so what I say may not help. I have tried both mixing from the L-20 and my DAW Cubase. Obviously the flexibility of a DAW is much better but I have also done quick mixes on the L-20 using the two internal effects eq and compressor. The L-20 also has a graphic eq you can access from the app you can get for it.
0 x

Jondus
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Jondus » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:25 pm

What did you think about the process/results of doing the mix Dow; that way mkok?
0 x

mkok
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by mkok » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:50 am

The result was good. The eq is limited as are the effects but they sound ok. I would still use my DAW though as I tend to cut up tracks and edit them so the l series is not designed for this. For me this is fine as editing on standalone hardware recorders was nearly always impossible anyway. To me the L-20 in my case is brilliant for going out and capturing a live performance and doing a quick mix. I would always use my DAW to do a full mix though as just so much more flexible
0 x

Jondus
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Jondus » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Thanks for the thoughts and info. mkok. I think my focus will be getting the best possible mix before recording, using mixdown only to fix problems, and then using something easy to use like Audacity to cut up tracks.
0 x