Livetrak L12 weird recording issue

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
paulyuk6
new to this board
new to this board

Livetrak L12 weird recording issue

Post by paulyuk6 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:42 am

Hello folks

Perhaps someone could advise me about a weird issue I am experiencing with my LiveTrak L-12. This is very basic stuff, but I totally baffled !!

I have plugged a microphone into Input Channel 1. I then Arm Channel 1 for record so it goes red, set the level and start recording myself talking (1-2-3, testing, 1-2-3, testing).
All is fine, I can press the channel 1 rec/play button again and it turns green for playback. And I can listen to my recording.
So far so good.

I then unplug the mic from channel 1 and plug it into channel 2. I then arm channel 2 for recording and the button goes red. I leave Channel 1 with a green button so I can listen to it playing while I record on channel 2. Which makes sense so far.

HOWEVER, as soon as I press the actual record button (on the transport section on the right hand side). The green light goes out on channel one and I cannot make it come back on. I can record the mic onto channel 2, no problem BUT my first recording on channel 1 seems to have been deleted.

I have no idea what I have done to cause this issue. I just want to record one track while listening to another track. But it won't let me.
Could there be some hidden setting that I have messed up?

I'm desperate to sort this out and I am supposed to be recording a band next week and need to ensure that multi-channel recording and playback is working fully.

Thanks

Paul
0 x
Paul in Cambridge, UK

paulyuk6
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Livetrak L12 weird recording issue

Post by paulyuk6 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Well, following another 30 mins of messing around with this, I think I figured out what the problem is!
It seems that each individual recording you make, creates a new Project.
So recording my mic on channel 1 went into the first project.
I then stopped recording, rewound and started recording on channel 2.
As soon as I pressed record, the damn thing created a new project!!!
So of course, my first track didn't exist in this project.

The answer? To go back and record multiple tracks in the SAME project, just press the OVERDUB button on the bottom right corner of the Recorder panel.
It then stays with your current project but adds the new track AND you can hear any previously recorded tracks.

Sighh... an easy solution but it's just not the way I expected it to work.

Paul
0 x
Paul in Cambridge, UK

sciurius

Post by sciurius » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:49 pm

This is the distinguishing difference between an L-12 (mixer, suitable for live recording) and an R-8/16/24 (multi-track recorder suitable for mixing).
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

mkok
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by mkok » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:14 pm

sorry I got to this late. Yes the overdub button is what you use. It does mention it in the manual. It’s quite simple and you will find you get used to it. It is definitely suitable for multitrack recording and live recording.
0 x

paulyuk6
new to this board
new to this board

Post by paulyuk6 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:46 am

Thanks for your comments.
I'll have to read it up properly in the manual.
To me, it seems a strange way to do it. In my mind, 'Overdub' means recording over an existing track, rather than creating a new track. What they used to call 'sound on sound'.
Oh well, at least it solves the problem!

Paul
0 x
Paul in Cambridge, UK

mkok
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by mkok » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:29 am

Agreed it is bad wording. What is good about this feature is if you are recording live then you can start recording a new track without messing about creating a new project. So you may stop recording a band playing one track and hitting record again you are recording a new one. Really useful in a live situation. I know the overdub takes a bit of getting used to but once you have clicked it you can do as many as you want. Easy to forget though as I know when you end up with your next instrument on a new project as you found out 😏
0 x