Livetrak review and suggestions

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
jorri
new to this board
new to this board

Livetrak review and suggestions

Post by jorri » Wed May 08, 2019 3:51 pm

Just got a livetrak, seems great but there are really obvious flaws:

-complication of no 'virtual tracks'. I think you can do this with a USB stick, in addition to SD card. But why? why two functions for different storage? Haven't tried it yet so hopefully its a quick process to export/import files. I don't even own a USB stick yet, hence not having tried it...maybe the SD card could have the same import/export capability like the 'R' series does!?

-hi-z has way too much gain. I will need to attenuate or it would clip with a guitar and the gain knob at zero. I'm using single coils!

-no polarity switches...ok.

-compressor sound alright. would be nice to know what that knob is ACTUALLY doing though. Sometimes a simple peak limiter would do and that's all.

-yet another ungrounded device...I'll be using a grounded preamp, but...really? Not as much noise as my R16 ungrounded, but there's still noise and need to be plugged into an amp or preamp whilst doing a simple setup like one microphone.

But a quesion is because i was actually pretty impressed with the effects sounds, not super hi-def but have got a great VIBE... is there any way to get a full-wet signal of effects exported? I want to mix things in my DAW later. I guess it might work if i max out the effect 20dB (?) above the dry signal but ideally no dry.

anyway, its all good, excited to record on it. Another thing is lack of AUX and using a stereo splitter from the headphone outs as an AUX send (unbalanced needed) so i hope that works! Using the main A out is balanced which nothing i'm running it into would be! I guess a mono cable could work too?
0 x

mkok
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Livetrak review and suggestions

Post by mkok » Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 pm

I take it you have the l12 as the L-20 has a phase button. The design is really for live recording and in that sense works brilliantly. They also work well as an audio interface.
0 x