Question regarding MS recording in F1

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Artkramer
new to this board
new to this board

Question regarding MS recording in F1

Post by Artkramer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi guys!

Few weeks ago I’ve bought the Zoom F1 and an MSH-6 capsule.
I was looking forward to record with an MS mic so that I could later make adjustments and automations to the recorded audio with MS-decoder software.
But I’m quite confused now, because on the F1 I can choose between fixed angles (0, 30, 60, 120, 150), while on several forum topics about the H5 I see people talk about the option to record in MS-RAW. Unfortunately I can’t find this mode on the F1.
So my question is: Is it even possible to decode my MS recordings from the F1 in post, or am I missing something?
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Question regarding MS recording in F1

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:10 pm

I'm kinda spit-balling here, but I think if the F1 doesn't have a raw (unmatrixed) option for recording, then choose the widest angle (150).

You can de-matrix it after the fact. There's a way to do it with duplicating tracks, inverting phase, panning, remixing, etc. I've done it before but I can't remember off the top of my head. The easier option would be to find a pair of DSP plugins (for your computer DAW), one that de-matrixes stereo-to-MS and another that matrixes MS-to-stereo. With that you should be all set.

I think Apple has some AU plugs that do that, that come with GarageBand/Logic
1 x

Artkramer
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Question regarding MS recording in F1

Post by Artkramer » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Yeah, that sounds quite logical, gonna try it out tomorrow. Thanks for your help!
0 x