Kemper Profiler Stage: at the other end of the spectrum

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Kemper Profiler Stage: at the other end of the spectrum

Post by stubbsonic » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:14 am

The Kemper Profiler is one of those amp modelers with a pretty pristine reputation. They just released (ships tomorrow) an all-in-one floorboard version (for around $1700 USD). I don't doubt it'll sound amazing and have some best-in-class features. (Out of my league, for sure)

However, when I looked at the teaser video and it panned across the back panel, I saw something ridiculous. Even though you see it has lots of connectivity, including some external loops, I was stunned to see that all the 1/4 jacks are plastic and are not secured to the chassis, just like the inexpensive G1/B1 Four.

With higher end gear, I expect to see a metal chassis, and jacks that are secured to the chassis. Ideally, I like to see metal jacks-- secured with metal nuts. But even plastic jacks secured with plastic nuts is better than floating jacks. Those points get stressed, and they are down there where they can get stepped on. Just seems like a really dumb choice.

Got the inexpensive RP360 yesterday. It has a decent build quality. All metal case. It's plastic jacks, chassis-mounted with plastic nuts are solid enough. Appropriate for the price-point. The weakest element to me is the main push-encoder, which is plastic and has a bit more "play" than I'd like (as compared to other devices I have).
0 x

Nhoj

Re: Kemper Profiler Stage: at the other end of the spectrum

Post by Nhoj » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:57 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:14 am
The Kemper Profiler is one of those amp modelers with a pretty pristine reputation. They just released (ships tomorrow) an all-in-one floorboard version (for around $1700 USD). I don't doubt it'll sound amazing and have some best-in-class features. (Out of my league, for sure)

However, when I looked at the teaser video and it panned across the back panel, I saw something ridiculous. Even though you see it has lots of connectivity, including some external loops, I was stunned to see that all the 1/4 jacks are plastic and are not secured to the chassis, just like the inexpensive G1/B1 Four.

With higher end gear, I expect to see a metal chassis, and jacks that are secured to the chassis. Ideally, I like to see metal jacks-- secured with metal nuts. But even plastic jacks secured with plastic nuts is better than floating jacks. Those points get stressed, and they are down there where they can get stepped on. Just seems like a really dumb choice.

Got the inexpensive RP360 yesterday. It has a decent build quality. All metal case. It's plastic jacks, chassis-mounted with plastic nuts are solid enough. Appropriate for the price-point. The weakest element to me is the main push-encoder, which is plastic and has a bit more "play" than I'd like (as compared to other devices I have).
Im still using Zoom G3Xn , the jacks inputs and output nuts are metal and have screws so solid,zoom is really reliable with this model of durability

btw different companies now have new products to show, but Zoom seems is quiet
0 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:07 pm

Yes, it is undeniable that the build quality of the G3n and G3nx (as well as the bass model) is excellent. The metal chassis and metal jacks are rugged, as are all the buttons. Not sure about how well the knobs will hold up over time, but for the price it is hard to complain.

I think the budget G1 Four and B1 Four are the main new products, and taking all those modules and presenting them in a budget package is a good way for them to recoup that development cost. That's not a flagship, obviously.

Isn't it interesting though, that the Kemper, which everyone raves about is getting the crappy build?
0 x

Nhoj

Post by Nhoj » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:11 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:07 pm
Yes, it is undeniable that the build quality of the G3n and G3nx (as well as the bass model) is excellent. The metal chassis and metal jacks are rugged, as are all the buttons. Not sure about how well the knobs will hold up over time, but for the price it is hard to complain.

I think the budget G1 Four and B1 Four are the main new products, and taking all those modules and presenting them in a budget package is a good way for them to recoup that development cost. That's not a flagship, obviously.

Isn't it interesting though, that the Kemper, which everyone raves about is getting the crappy build?
Yes the price is really a factor,Zoom have reallly a window for a great opportunity, to make a new flagship
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:27 pm

I've never understood the Kemper Profiler. I understand it can emulate any other amplifier previously manufactured, I get that. But my understanding is it has to have access to the emulated amplifier to create the profile. If I have access to the real thing for samplling, why do I need the Kemper?
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:32 am

I think it's mostly about giving the user the most choice possible. The profiling procedure seems quite elaborate if you've
ever seen them do it, and does it's best to sample the cabs and environment. I can see this being quite useful in random
situations where i might've stumbled on a killer tone with a very specific set of gear that i might not own, or want to
"backup" the result of gear I do own that mightn't be replaceable by the time something fails. If not, you still have online
resources to access a plethora of downloadable ones. But most importantly, i think its main strength is about superior amp
simulation, which seems to be at the forefront of research and development when it comes to the design of multi FX units
in general, and the creation of realistic algorithms. The amp-sim was always the weaker link in the chain, so it's no surprise
they're putting a lot of effort into it's improvements. The chase for the most realistic valve simulation is where it's at.
I believe Fractal have a profiling feature of their own now called "Tone Matching", so it's not exclusive to Kemper now.
Both are the best you can buy for "simulation" whether it has profiling or not, and it may be that they only offer profiling
in the flagship models and omit the premium feature from the cheaper ones to differentiate it in a product stack ?
1 x